Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 10:43 PM

1,080 posts, read 2,269,879 times

Advertisements

Minnesota- dry and hot in the summer, dry and cold in the winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 11:22 PM

134 posts, read 338,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yuppa12 View Post
Since I have lived in the Minneapolis area (6 months or so) I have noticed that a lot of people have asked where I went to high school and when I say I'm not from here they are caught off guard. They always ask why I moved here. I never had a great reason for moving here, just a change. I have been asked this in minneapolis and in the burbs. Has anyone else had this happen to them?

People are always looking for common connections with others- so asking where you went to high school might lead to "Oh, I know someone who went there.... do you know so-n-so?" Same with asking people where they work or where they live. I don't think this is particular to MN.?

I 'm sure I've asked people where they are from, but I never really assume that they aren't from here, unless it's obvious. I've ended up chatting with a couple of other mothers lately at my son's sports games and they have both said several times during conversations "Oh, we're not from here". In both cases, this is a temporary location for them on the way to return to "where they are from". My dad's theory is that everyone is eventually drawn back to where they were originally from. He might be on to something. In the case of many Minnesotans we never really left in the first place!

Old 05-16-2010, 04:30 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,862,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN55 View Post
Minnesota- dry and hot in the summer, dry and cold in the winter.
Hot and dry. You are kidding. Last July I was cold. It was 61 degrees. July is summer, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libby01 View Post
In the case of many Minnesotans we never really left in the first place!
And some Minnesotans leave and never go back Except for short visits to remind them why they left.

Old 05-16-2010, 05:02 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,319,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TropicalAussie View Post
Hot and dry. You are kidding. Last July I was cold. It was 61 degrees. July is summer, right?

And some Minnesotans leave and never go back Except for short visits to remind them why they left.
Last summer was not typical. Generally July is hot and humid, 90's with high humidity.

Old 05-16-2010, 12:00 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,681,074 times
I love that heat. I love walking outside from my cold AC with my flip flops and shorts into the warm sun like I'm wrapped in a blanket. It's awesome. Then Crack open that Summit or Grain Belt and turn on the Twinnies in the garage, then go mow the front yard, then grab another Grainy. Then pack up the car and head north on Friday to the cabin where it's flip flops, shorts, pontoons and fishin'@!!! Then cook up some sweet corn, burgers and potato salad and sit around the bon-fire chattin' with friends and family, passin' around some Pucker and downin' more Grainies.

Hot damn i love MN summers

Old 05-16-2010, 06:43 PM

8 posts, read 18,780 times
I even get that to some degree, and I came here after after living in Chicago for a number of years. I did however grow up in Western Wisconsin, about an hour from the Twin Cities, so I'm not much of an "outsider". But people always ask me why I moved here. I think it's just one of those MN "small talk" things, like talking about the weather, etc.

Old 05-16-2010, 08:42 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,590,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
Also, all the people who complain about the "high humidity" here need to go to a Southern state. The humidity there is UNREAL. So thick you can literally barely breathe. Even Michigan is much more humid than here. Compared to Michigan, this is like Arizona - very dry.
This is so true!! Yes, those 70 degree dew point days are over the top, but they are pretty rare. All in all, it's not very humid here when compared to the rest of the eastern half of the country.

Old 05-17-2010, 04:15 PM

73,031 posts, read 62,634,962 times
I look at it this way. If someone is asking my "Why are you here?", my first thought is "what is so bad about this place? I'm obviously happy here. Why not?" That is is good way to think about it. I have some relatives in Mpls, so if I move there, I will have part of my family there.

Old 05-17-2010, 04:22 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,989,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Last summer was not typical. Generally July is hot and humid, 90's with high humidity.
You're right, July of 2009 was very atypical. That said, 90s in July are the exception (on average, 6 out of 31 days) rather than the norm.

Of course, "typical Minnesota summer weather" is thrown completely out the window in Duluth and anywhere else along the North Shore.

Old 05-18-2010, 09:18 AM

927 posts, read 2,467,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
Seriously, winter does not last 7 months.

Last September was warmest on record, with daily highs 60-70.
October wasn't that bad either, and neither was November.

And then we just had one of the warmest March. So, by my Minnesota math it seems like there is usually about 3 months of winter.

And yeah we have 4 seasons. And the road construction is only really a problem in the metro, so don't speak for the entire state on that one.

Spring is March, April May
Summer is June, July and August
Fall is September, October and November
and Winter is December, January, February

And if you need to argue the distinctivness of Minneosota seasons, then you're just wasting your time.
Winter does last 7 months! We usually get snow on the ground at some point 3 out of 5 October’s. March ’10 was unusual, but it’s usually the snowiest month. We don’t have spring until May. October – April (7 months).

I remember a few May’s 15+ years ago, I was wearing a wool hat & gloves at little league games, in May. Not that there was snow on the ground, but it must’ve been around 30 or 40 degrees… in MAY!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul