Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 03:08 AM

1,704 posts, read 3,446,314 times

Advertisements

I knew a wonderful Australian family from Adelaide (now they live in Bundaberg) when I lived in Minneapolis. They were just here for a few years while one of them was at grad school, but they loved it in the Twin Cities. I think it was a very positive experience for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 06:09 AM

24 posts, read 51,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol885344 View Post
I moved from the Gold coast.....I am not really sure if I made the right decision to come all the way from Australia...If I could chose again, I wont come to Rochester, MN. I have been here just two months and I have missed Australia heaps....wish I could go to the beach after work >"<
wish you all the best.
That's what I'm worried about, missing the beaches and the weather....
Winter here, and I'm still in t-shirts and shorts.
I'm here on the Gold Coast at the moment - did the Main Beach to Surfers walk along the beach this arvo.
Was so beautiful and refreshing despite all the sand erosion........
Every day that it gets closer to us leaving, I start weighing up the pros and cons.
I think when you have paradise on your backdoor step, you take it for granted.......
Oh well, I'm still looking forward to seeing what Minneapolis has to offer

Old 07-26-2013, 12:16 PM

Keep reminding yourself that weather is NOT the only thing that determines the quality of your life. Minneapolis is a beautiful city - not in the same way as Gold Coast, but it still is beautiful. You'll get used to the cold winters after a few years. It will be tough at first, there's no getting around that. This is a major move. But 3.5 million people live in the Twin Cities and almost all of them are perfectly happy there. There are ways to enjoy yourself in and outside year-round, even on the coldest days of midwinter. It's a different life, but that doesn't mean it's not a livable life. You'll be okay! Keep posting on this forum if you need any help!

Old 07-27-2013, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel03 View Post
Keep reminding yourself that weather is NOT the only thing that determines the quality of your life. Minneapolis is a beautiful city - not in the same way as Gold Coast, but it still is beautiful. You'll get used to the cold winters after a few years. It will be tough at first, there's no getting around that. This is a major move. But 3.5 million people live in the Twin Cities and almost all of them are perfectly happy there. There are ways to enjoy yourself in and outside year-round, even on the coldest days of midwinter. It's a different life, but that doesn't mean it's not a livable life. You'll be okay! Keep posting on this forum if you need any help!
Thanks, and your right
Two weeks to go........

Old 07-29-2013, 07:46 PM

275 posts, read 332,401 times
Welcome to Minnesota.

Last edited by Azul91; 07-29-2013 at 08:05 PM..

Old 07-30-2013, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azul91 View Post
Welcome to Minnesota.
Thanks, I'm excited!!
Hopefully we'll get there whilst it's still warm, so it won't be too much of a shock the system.
Looking forward to our first white Christmas. Usually we are down on the beach watching Santa drive past in his surf shorts on the back of a ute, throwing out lollies to the kids..............my kids are in for a treat!

Old 07-31-2013, 05:15 AM

If it you're flying in within the next couple weeks, it won't just be warm, it will probably be HOT - very comparable to your summers in Australia. It will almost definitely be warmer in the Twin Cities than it is right now in Queensland. July and August are the hottest parts of the year in the Upper Midwest.

Old 08-19-2013, 11:05 AM

1 posts, read 660 times
Hey guys- glad I found this thread and it's new compared to others I've found!
Anyway, my husband and I are relocating back to the U.S. - twin cities. I'm American but have been living in Oz for 4 1/2 yrs now and he's Aussie. He'll be missing home so if anyone would like to meet up after we settle in please let me know and I'll msg you my details.
Now, as I've been out of the states for a while, I'm just wondering is it difficult to find a decent not too over-priced rental just outside of the twin cities? We're bringing over our two staffies as well and am aware of pet rent and whatnot. Ultimately we'll buy but we need something to hold is over right now.
Also did anyone have a difficult time finding work?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota