Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 01:03 AM

11 posts, read 13,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodburyWoody View Post
To where in Minnesota are you moving?

To add to GolfGal's note about the age deadline, Minnesota now funds all-day kindergarten in the public schools (in the past, all day was available in many (most?) schools; half-day was free and full-day had an additional cost to families … I think it was about $350 per month per child in South Washington School District (833) a few years ago). Even with that cost to families, most families I know in the Twin Cities (metro and 'burbs) opted for full-day.

More information at All-day kindergarten booming, but should schools have flexibility? - TwinCities.com .

My wife will be graduate in Carlson school of business soon. We will move to MN this year for her study.
We also perfer to have full-day for my baby. She is taking full-day for 2 years in preschool.
Public or private preschool is fine with us as long as the quality is acceptable.

Thank you WoodburyWoody
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2014, 02:20 PM

2,579 posts, read 2,071,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gww007 View Post

My wife will be graduate in Carlson school of business soon. We will move to MN this year for her study.
We also perfer to have full-day for my baby. She is taking full-day for 2 years in preschool.
Public or private preschool is fine with us as long as the quality is acceptable.

Thank you WoodburyWoody
What is your criteria for selecting? Close to home? Close to work or the Carlson School? Looking for a specific type of school and will work everything else around that school (some people make that work, even if it means spending three hours a day commuting).

There are literally hundreds (thousands?) of options across the Twin Cities for kindergarten and pre-school (Minneapolis is about 400,000 people, St. Paul about another 300,000 and the entire metro about 4 million in all).

If you can provide some more information on how you are making the decision, that would help. You will have lots of variety from which to choose.

Old 02-26-2014, 05:00 PM

Question Preschool for 4 yrs old

Quote:
What is your criteria for selecting? Close to home? Close to work or the Carlson School? Looking for a specific type of school and will work everything else around that school (some people make that work, even if it means spending three hours a day commuting).

There are literally hundreds (thousands?) of options across the Twin Cities for kindergarten and pre-school (Minneapolis is about 400,000 people, St. Paul about another 300,000 and the entire metro about 4 million in all).

If you can provide some more information on how you are making the decision, that would help. You will have lots of variety from which to choose.
Thank you WoodburyWoody for this messag.
Yes, we also list several rules may not reasonable however
Full day from 8am to 6pm
10-15 minutes from apartment to preschool on foot.
Direct commute to Carlson around 20 minutes by public transporation from living place.
Quiet surrendings without night life. Does studet throw parties all the time ?

Actually, we reashed The Marshall apartment which will open in August and Mini Apple international education in Dinky town. Do you think it is a nice place for us ?
Also, Kinderberry Hill in downtown but it is a little bit far away from Carlson. Moreover, I dd not receive any reply from Kinderberry Hill at all.

Nothing is decided yet. Nevertheless,we will make 3-4 options before we check them on-site.

Regards

Old 02-26-2014, 06:41 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,739,553 times
I don't think I'd like to live in the heart of Dinkytown with a little kid -- not that it's a bad place to live, but it is young student central. I don't know about the preschool you mentioned, but if you wanted to live near both the preschool and still easy commute to Carlson you could check out the Marcy-Holmes neighborhood of Minneapolis to the west of 94; that area is still very convenient to the university and has plenty of students, but there are also more families. Marcy Elementary School is in that area and gets good reviews.

On the other side of the river near Carlson is the Seward neighborhood. It would be very convenient and can be a nice place for families. Seward Montessori school (a public magnet for K-8) is in that neighborhood, and is very popular. I'm not sure what preschools are over there, but there are probably some decent options.

Heading to the east of campus along University Ave is the Prospect Park neighborhood of Minneapolis; this is very convenient for school and is very family-friendly. It's a very friendly, community-minded neighborhood popular with U of MN faculty and grad students. I know there are a few preschools/childcare centers over there; there is a Montessori preschool/daycare located right off University (http://www.cvmdcc.com/); I don't know have any personal experience, but I've seen the kids being dropped off. If you lived in that neighborhood you could walk your child to school, drop her off, and then hop on the light rail (right by the school -- opens in June) and take the light rail a few stops to the West Bank of the University campus, which is where Carlson is located. That would be about the easiest commute you could ask for.

Actually, the more I read your post the more I think you'll find that Prospect Park would be the perfect fit -- quiet, no night life, has several preschool/daycare options within short walking distance, and is a quick, direct commute to your school by public transportation. It really is a pleasant neighborhood, and is ideally situated for your needs.

Old 02-26-2014, 07:17 PM

Thumbs up Preschool for 4 yrs old

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I don't think I'd like to live in the heart of Dinkytown with a little kid -- not that it's a bad place to live, but it is young student central. I don't know about the preschool you mentioned, but if you wanted to live near both the preschool and still easy commute to Carlson you could check out the Marcy-Holmes neighborhood of Minneapolis to the west of 94; that area is still very convenient to the university and has plenty of students, but there are also more families. Marcy Elementary School is in that area and gets good reviews.

On the other side of the river near Carlson is the Seward neighborhood. It would be very convenient and can be a nice place for families. Seward Montessori school (a public magnet for K-8) is in that neighborhood, and is very popular. I'm not sure what preschools are over there, but there are probably some decent options.

Heading to the east of campus along University Ave is the Prospect Park neighborhood of Minneapolis; this is very convenient for school and is very family-friendly. It's a very friendly, community-minded neighborhood popular with U of MN faculty and grad students. I know there are a few preschools/childcare centers over there; there is a Montessori preschool/daycare located right off University (http://www.cvmdcc.com/); I don't know have any personal experience, but I've seen the kids being dropped off. If you lived in that neighborhood you could walk your child to school, drop her off, and then hop on the light rail (right by the school -- opens in June) and take the light rail a few stops to the West Bank of the University campus, which is where Carlson is located. That would be about the easiest commute you could ask for.

Actually, the more I read your post the more I think you'll find that Prospect Park would be the perfect fit -- quiet, no night life, has several preschool/daycare options within short walking distance, and is a quick, direct commute to your school by public transportation. It really is a pleasant neighborhood, and is ideally situated for your needs.
Wow~~ big hug to you uptwon_urbanist
I totally agree with you on this. Dinkytown from location perspective is ok.
Mary-Holmes I also considered frankly speaking. Now, you help me made my mind to re-check again.
Definately, Seward Montessori school is also on my list since my daughter has been studying in Montessori surrendings for 2 years. She will not feel much difference to the new place.
Yeap, I will check Prospect park. This one I did not know.
That is phenomenal. You are so great.
Thank you very very much for helping.

Regards!

Old 02-27-2014, 09:05 AM

2,579 posts, read 2,071,136 times
I can't speak to the specific schools mentioned in Uptown Urbanist's note, but can speak to the neighborhoods mentioned. I agree with Uptown's assessment about Dinkytown for a family with young children - you might be happier it Seward or Marcy-Holmes or Prospect Park.

Also, you might consider something around the St. Paul campus - there is the campus connector bus system at the U of M, which is free for students. Double-check their site for the hours they run (https://www1.umn.edu/pts/bus/connectors.html) to see if it would work with class schedules and know that the connector buses run less frequently during breaks. I have several colleagues working at the University on the West and East Bank who live near the St. Paul campus and walk there to pick up the bus to get to work.

Will you get a chance to visit before having to select where to live?

Old 02-27-2014, 06:57 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,739,553 times
I agree -- the area around the St. Paul campus would also be a great option. I think there are some daycare centers over there, and, like Prospect Park, it's quiet and within a straight, short commute via public transportation (in this case the Campus Connector) to the West Bank.

The University has some family housing over there too, if that's of interest. I believe they have a daycare/preschool actually on-site, although no idea how tough it is to get a spot.

Old 02-27-2014, 07:23 PM

Smile Preschool for 4 yrs old

Quote:
I can't speak to the specific schools mentioned in Uptown Urbanist's note, but can speak to the neighborhoods mentioned. I agree with Uptown's assessment about Dinkytown for a family with young children - you might be happier it Seward or Marcy-Holmes or Prospect Park.

Also, you might consider something around the St. Paul campus - there is the campus connector bus system at the U of M, which is free for students. Double-check their site for the hours they run (https://www1.umn.edu/pts/bus/connectors.html) to see if it would work with class schedules and know that the connector buses run less frequently during breaks. I have several colleagues working at the University on the West and East Bank who live near the St. Paul campus and walk there to pick up the bus to get to work.

Will you get a chance to visit before having to select where to live?
Hi WoodburyWoody

We will save 3 to 4 weeks to check places before decision. Now, all the advices are carefully considered and printed out as reference.
I also think abou St. Paul as a place for family however it seems for the first year it will be more study to work. Moreover, all the courses are in the evening.We feel it is better to find somewhere close to Carlson.
With you advices I had received some infromation from preschool.
All of these are very helpful.

Thank you.

Old 03-01-2014, 11:54 AM

371 posts, read 556,219 times
The university early childhood center is in Dinkytown and has a long waiting list of 1.5 years at least. Parents sign up quite early during pregnancy and I think are expected to provide some proof that a baby is forthcoming! I have a friend whose child was at the Mini Apple center while waiting for a spot for the U. She thought it was fine.

Old 03-01-2014, 10:31 PM

Default Preschool for 4 yrs old

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheddar View Post
The university early childhood center is in Dinkytown and has a long waiting list of 1.5 years at least. Parents sign up quite early during pregnancy and I think are expected to provide some proof that a baby is forthcoming! I have a friend whose child was at the Mini Apple center while waiting for a spot for the U. She thought it was fine.
1.5 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota