Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 09:59 PM

2,105 posts, read 4,602,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidniteBreeze View Post
I agree...I have a few rants on this issue on another thread. I do understand where non-smokers are coming from, but I think it's wrong for the government to dictate whether or not private business owners should allow a LEGAL (albiet unhealthy) activity on their properties.

Where I live, there are no mandatory bar/restaurant smoking bans (yet--though I'm sure a statewide ban is just around the corner), but many businesses are already "voluntarily" smoke-free because that's what their customers wanted...I have no problem with that. But if a few businesses want to cater to smokers--even if they have to put a sign outside declaring that it is a "smoking allowed" establishment--I don't see what the problem is.

In California (and other states with statewide smoking bans) they claim the law is in place to protect employees. But if "free market" principles apply and the number of smoking establishments is proportionate to the smoking population, potential employees concerned about working in a "smoking" environment only have to rule out about 20% (give or take, depending where you live) of possible employers. And lets face it, it's not like there's a huge shortage of bar/restaurant type jobs in this country.

Minnesota already has some of the highest cigarette taxes in the country (well, our governor likes to call the additional 75 cent tax a "fee", but let's just call a spade a spade) yet there's a big push to "marginalize" smokers.

Even more so in California...there's talk there in some communites of banning smoking EVERYWHERE except single family, detached homes. I almost think it would be better to just to make it illegal (because it esentially would be) and let the black market set the TAX FREE prices.
It sounds as if you dont live in MN one second then you mention our govnr. Do you or dont you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2008, 12:49 PM

7 posts, read 18,454 times
Default smoking

I live in Bloomington, MN and its totally smoke free. It was the first town in Minnesota to do this.

Old 11-09-2008, 09:17 PM

1 posts, read 1,896 times
Default To Yorkie Mom

So are you saying that there should still be slavery, that women should not be allowed to vote or serve in public office, or that Native Americans should not be allowed citizenship and be forced to be on reservations. These things were around for many generations?

Old 11-10-2008, 04:24 PM

394 posts, read 1,518,936 times
The thing is, is that people who smoke think they do no wrong.

Buildings get cited and fined for having minimal hazardous chemicals, but Smokers think they should be able to smoke in public? I worked for a lawn chemical company, where we had to dispose the empty fertilizer bags in an approved garbage. Did we ? No. why not? because its like telling a smoker that the smoke they produce is hurting others.

Get your smoke away from me. Its hazardous, poisionous, and disgusting. I know you have your rights, but come on. I was able to go to bars before the ban. Wow. I would wake up and my entire room would smell like cigarettes, and i would hack up gunk all day. Just so "smokers" can have it their way.

Old 11-10-2008, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinmyhair View Post
I agree, seperate but equal- I thought this was America-the home of the free? It's not that big a deal- if the bar owner or resturant owners decides they would like to permit smoking then I think it is their own right to determine how they choose to run thier establishment. I am a non smoker but I am so for freedoms to choose,(you pay taxes, you should be able to determine where the money comes from). It would then enable me to make the choice to be in a non smoking situation or a smoking situation, either way it's my choice.......

home of the free?

So i should walk through your neighborhood spraying asbestos?

Old 11-10-2008, 04:29 PM

Cigarettes are nasty anyways. I don't understand how people could smoke. "Its addictive" is such BS. My mother is the most stubborn person in the world, and she quit. I would work at a gas station and see the same people EVERY day spend $5 on a pack. Thats 35$ a week in garbage. And the economy is bad? hmm. If smokers quit spendinng $2000/yr on cigarettes, and put that towards their debt, lenders wouldnt be so on edge to lend out money = lower interest rates. Smokers ruin everyones lives.

Old 11-10-2008, 06:36 PM

2,410 posts, read 6,005,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0402 View Post
Cigarettes are nasty anyways. I don't understand how people could smoke. "Its addictive" is such BS. My mother is the most stubborn person in the world, and she quit. I would work at a gas station and see the same people EVERY day spend $5 on a pack. Thats 35$ a week in garbage. And the economy is bad? hmm. If smokers quit spendinng $2000/yr on cigarettes, and put that towards their debt, lenders wouldnt be so on edge to lend out money = lower interest rates. Smokers ruin everyones lives.

Just out of curiosity how exactly do smokers ruin everyone's lives? This is like saying smoking causes every disease in the human body. That is exactly what a doctor told me one day. I can name several diseases that aren't caused by smoking. I can also name several people who didn't have their lives ruined by smokers.

"Obesity is quickly starting to catch up with smoking as the number one cause of death in the United States. Several people spend more than $5/day on junk food. Maybe if they instead put their money towards their bills then banks wouldn't be so stingy with lending, which in turn would lead to lower interest rates. Fat people ruin everyone's lives."

Do you see how stupid that sounds? Or even better instead of food let's put the word drugs in there.

I'm sorry but people ruin their own lives.

Old 11-10-2008, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by molochai2580 View Post
Just out of curiosity how exactly do smokers ruin everyone's lives? This is like saying smoking causes every disease in the human body. That is exactly what a doctor told me one day. I can name several diseases that aren't caused by smoking. I can also name several people who didn't have their lives ruined by smokers.

"Obesity is quickly starting to catch up with smoking as the number one cause of death in the United States. Several people spend more than $5/day on junk food. Maybe if they instead put their money towards their bills then banks wouldn't be so stingy with lending, which in turn would lead to lower interest rates. Fat people ruin everyone's lives."

Do you see how stupid that sounds? Or even better instead of food let's put the word drugs in there.

I'm sorry but people ruin their own lives.
My shirt smelling like crap and my lungs being scratchy after a night in a smoke filled bar is me ruining my life? Seriously? Thats me?

Old 11-10-2008, 07:59 PM

2,410 posts, read 6,005,392 times
Quote:
My shirt smelling like crap and my lungs being scratchy after a night in a smoke filled bar is me ruining my life? Seriously? Thats me?
You decided to go to the bar didn't you?

That is beside the point anyway, Minnesota has a smoking ban in place so that is no longer an issue here. Please provide a valid example of smoker's ruining your life.

Old 11-11-2008, 07:11 AM

149 posts, read 608,455 times
Quote:

From the American Heart Association:
http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=4753 (broken link)

The 1988 Surgeon General's Report, "Nicotine Addiction," concluded that

Cigarettes and other forms of tobacco are addicting.
Nicotine is the drug that causes addiction.
Pharmacologic and behavioral characteristics that determine tobacco addiction are similar to those that determine addiction to drugs such as heroin and cocaine

And if you need to further understand HOW it's addictive...

Directly from the National Institute on Drug Abuse:
InfoFacts - Cigarettes and Other Tobacco Products

How Does Tobacco Affect the Brain?

Cigarettes and other forms of tobacco, including cigars, pipe tobacco, snuff, and chewing tobacco, contain the addictive drug nicotine. Nicotine is readily absorbed into the bloodstream when a tobacco product is chewed, inhaled, or smoked. A typical smoker will take 10 puffs on a cigarette over a period of 5 minutes that the cigarette is lit. Thus, a person who smokes about 1/2 packs (30 cigarettes) daily gets 300 “hits” of nicotine each day.

Upon entering the bloodstream, nicotine immediately stimulates the adrenal glands to release the hormone epinephrine (adrenaline). Epinephrine stimulates the central nervous system and increases blood pressure, respiration, and heart rate. Glucose is released into the blood while nicotine suppresses insulin output from the pancreas, which means that smokers have chronically elevated blood sugar levels.

Like cocaine, heroin, and marijuana, nicotine increases levels of the neurotransmitter dopamine, which affects the brain pathways that control reward and pleasure. For many tobacco users, long-term brain changes induced by continued nicotine exposure result in addiction—a condition of compulsive drug seeking and use, even in the face of negative consequences. Studies suggest that additional compounds in tobacco smoke, such as acetaldehyde, may enhance nicotine’s effects on the brain.3 A number of studies indicate that adolescents are especially vulnerable to these effects and may be more likely than adults to develop an addiction to tobacco.

When an addicted user tries to quit, he or she experiences withdrawal symptoms including powerful cravings for tobacco, irritability, difficulty paying attention, sleep disturbances, and increased appetite. Treatments can help smokers manage these symptoms and improve the likelihood of successfully quitting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota