Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 08:43 PM

184 posts, read 1,019,792 times

Advertisements

Easy.

Of the areas you listed, Eden Prairie for sure. Neighborhood is nicer, schools are great, parks are great, and you're close to Lake Minnetonka for your dose of water and old, bucolic hamlets.

I also like Eden Prairie because they have a very well-developed and clean transit system. No light rail yet, but you can get express buses into Minneapolis every 15 minutes or so during weekdays, and there is a great transit terminal for you to commute from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2007, 12:06 PM

1 posts, read 3,631 times
Smile WE're relocating from California next month!

Hi there my hubby and 4 kids will be relocating from So california. We are waiting to be approved for a house in Hastings. Anyone familiar with or from that area? Most of my family lives in Cottage Grove or St. Paul already. How is the job market out there and what is minimum wage? How about the schools? I'm sure they aren't worse than here! LOL It looks very pretty there. What about crime and gangs do you see alot of that? I would imagine in the cities but say like Hastings or Cottage Grove, places like that? Anyhow I would love to hear from any other family relocating there or from there as well, feel free to email me mrskbuckland@yahoo.com

have a great day!

Karla

Old 04-15-2007, 01:40 PM

5 posts, read 29,524 times
Richswife - Here is a great website where you can get wonderful information about schools: www.schoolmatters.com
You can check it out to see what the schools are like in the area you are interested in. I've found it to be a valuable resource. My husband starts work in Minneapolis May 7th. I'm going to stay in Oregon until our house sells.
Thank you so much to everyone that responded to our questions. We greatly appreciate it.

Old 04-15-2007, 04:52 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richswife View Post
Hi there my hubby and 4 kids will be relocating from So california. We are waiting to be approved for a house in Hastings. Anyone familiar with or from that area? Most of my family lives in Cottage Grove or St. Paul already. How is the job market out there and what is minimum wage? How about the schools? I'm sure they aren't worse than here! LOL It looks very pretty there. What about crime and gangs do you see alot of that? I would imagine in the cities but say like Hastings or Cottage Grove, places like that? Anyhow I would love to hear from any other family relocating there or from there as well, feel free to email me mrskbuckland@yahoo.com

have a great day!

Karla

I am giggling at your post. Hastings is a great town with good schools, no gang issues and the crime with be things like a bike taken from someones front yard. The job market in the twin cities is pretty favorable, unemployment rate is low. I think minimum wage is about $5.50/hour but I hope you are planning on making more then that or you won't be able to afford a house in Hastings.

Old 04-15-2007, 07:42 PM

What kind of work do you guys do or want to do? The Minneapolis area has a strong job market. I spent time in Southern California and far prefer Minneapolis, although there are some very nice memories of So Cal.

Old 04-15-2007, 11:07 PM

68 posts, read 276,932 times
We moved to Lakeville from Shakopee/close to EP, last spring. We love Lakeville. It's friendly, schools are terrific!! Everyone told me to think about it's size but it feels like such a small town to me. I know it's a bigger suburb but it just has that nice small friendly feel. EP doens't seem like a very cohesive community, too much retail or something. We lived there for a few months and I never felt very comfortable.
And yes, Lakeville is conservative and that's EXACTLY why we moved here. Number #1 reason so if you are in that line of thinking it would be a great fit. If not, it still works too.
As far as the school referendums go. I just think the district didn't do much to advertise why the need this year and it slipped by the voters as really being necessary. It will pass this year I'm sure.
Even if we struggle with budgets for a few year the schools are so well established, teachers, principals are great and parent involvement is high. I don't think it will make a huge difference.

My husband commutes to Bloomington and the drive from Lakeville is much easier than coming in from the west. good luck

Old 06-06-2007, 07:17 PM

8 posts, read 33,871 times
I live in Maple Grove. Right now, Maple Grove is great -upscale. However, it is getting very crowded as we are getting a brand new hospital. The schools are great. The people for the most part are great. I do not know as much about Eden Prairie and Lakeville. When I travel through Eden Prairie, it is upscale as well.

Old 06-07-2007, 10:43 AM

5 posts, read 29,524 times
My husband started his new job in Minneapolis 1 1/2 months ago. The kids & I visited the week of Memorial Day & stayed in Maple Grove. We really liked it & that is where my husband is commuting from currently. Lakeville is going to be too far of a commute for him. I'm still in Oregon waiting for the house to sell & he's been looking at homes in different suburbs. We're looking at Maple Grove, Eden Prairie, Plymouth, & some other west suburbs. Also, he is looking into Woodbury, Eagan, & Apple Valley.

Old 06-07-2007, 09:38 PM

West suburbs are the best. Unsurpassed quality of life.

Old 02-15-2011, 11:27 AM

37 posts, read 133,603 times
Robert,
I just saw your post that you help you help relocate families all the time. My family and I are planning to relocate to the area the end of April. My main focus right now is finding a and securing a rental home before we get there. Our budget is somewhat limited, but none the less, we are determined to get out of the state of Florida. Any help you give would be greatly appreciated. Our budget will be $700 - $1000 monthly. We have looked at many towns that we like and now it is a matter of finding affordable housing and picking the right town...just to get us started and our foot in the door till we get ourselves established.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota