Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: are you worried about gustaf?
yes, i already have hotel reservations 3 11.11%
i am keeping a close eye on it 17 62.96%
not worried about it at all. 7 25.93%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 06:46 PM

268 posts, read 1,015,063 times

Advertisements

MODERATOR: Sorry to horn in on this post, but....this is the only way there is to make an announcement on a thread temporarily being turned into a sticky:

Folks, the Administrator has asked that we only have two sticky notes in each forum so I've dropped the picture thread for now.

With Gustav bearing down on Mississippi, we'll keep this thread open for discussion of weather trends, emergency preparedness, evacuation information, etc. so that everyone might be informed on current updates.

Our thoughts are with you on the coast...be safe...

Sam

just wondering if anyone is already thinking about gustaf out there........

Last edited by Sam I Am; 08-29-2008 at 08:06 AM.. Reason: converted to temp sticky
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2008, 10:19 PM

114 posts, read 419,470 times
We will be leaving central Ms for Houston, Sunday. We are just a little concerned about traffic on I-20. We sometimes go across I-10, but not this time.

Old 08-27-2008, 03:13 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,392,184 times
I'm in central MS (Jackson to be specific) and Katrina was only a category 1 once it reached here. We did lose power for a week, but that's not enough to run me off. I will stick around, and help those out to the south if need be.

Old 08-27-2008, 03:25 PM

268 posts, read 1,015,063 times
i have 3 young kids, and i hate to be without power, so if it looks bad, we are out of the area.

Old 08-27-2008, 06:42 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,090,233 times
Absolutely paying attention--and more attention--memories of Katrina still horribly fresh--I am past "concerned "and have reached "worried"--some friends are already preparing to leave. if New Orleans evacuates early as they say they will flood through here and the roads will be impassable. Not to mention folks from the coast. Decision time is here-

Old 08-27-2008, 07:57 PM

1,127 posts, read 5,009,746 times
Hello, just wanted to pop in and see what ya'll were doing about G. Anxiety levels here in LA are kind of high people are loading up on gas cans and from what I understand hotels are already in short supply. Good luck ya'll; let's hope G is only a tropical storm wherever she lands!

Old 08-28-2008, 03:17 PM

Gas prices have gone up $0.20 over the past 24 hours

Old 08-29-2008, 12:22 AM

3,927 posts, read 8,668,096 times
Gas prices should not go up any more as the Gov declared a state of emergency. I know they are already on the look out for price gouging.

We had tropical storm winds as far north as us and I certainly hope this thing if it has to hit will be weaker and not over a Cat 1. The storm surge is the problem as well as the water being whipped up thru the smaller creeks and rivers and streams. The right front quadrant is supposed to be over most of MS so that will mean tornadoes and high winds as well as much rain.

I believe the earlier people evacuate the better off they will be if they are going to be able to find a place to stay.

Currently, Tupelo and surrounding towns have an influx of an additional 1400 people who are working on the Toyota site here and they have taken up many of the rooms available in these towns.

It would be a good idea to call around to find openings and go ahead and book them if you can find them. I am sure many will have to travel this far North as they did with Katrina, and many had to go even further than Memphis!

Old 08-29-2008, 07:14 AM

794 posts, read 3,358,109 times
I can vouch for the gas prices here in BTR, gone up from as low as $3.44 at one station up to $3.79 at another in the period of 36 hours. There are already a few places around town here that are running out of gas. They're being refilled by trucks as fast as they can but I imagine as more and more people panic and/or prepare it will only get worse. Get your gas now.
I believe NOLA will begin planned phased evacuations tomorrow. That will enact the contraflow which will cause some highway headaches possibly for those in south MS and the gulf coast area. I'll echo Tama, decision time is here.
I'm a little concerned if this thing gets as big as they think it "could" get and it cuts into LA at the angle they are currently projecting it to, it could cause some surge problems in SELA and MS. Here's hoping Gustav dies out in the gulf.

Old 08-29-2008, 08:17 AM

The word around town is that most, if not all, of the hotel rooms are already booked in the Jackson metro area. Gas is still rising since yesterday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi