Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 11:44 AM

1,008 posts, read 3,391,881 times
If I had to sum up Mississippi in one word, it would be "freedom." Maybe that is why there are more happy people in Mississippi than in other states that have more regulations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2009, 12:09 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,583,845 times
To OneJackson, let's agree to disagree.

I think many people in Mississippi are happy, and all we really have to go on is this silly poll where they asked people if they are happy. Mississippians said "Yes".

You think they lied and aren't really happy.

From one happy Mississipian to another, have a good new year!

Last edited by jhadorn; 12-31-2009 at 01:05 PM..

Old 12-31-2009, 02:58 PM

783 posts, read 2,257,863 times
Even those that are deemed "safe" vaccines are really bad.

Ummm.... what? Vaccines protect society against plague. On the scale of good and bad, I rank that definitively on the "really good" end. The risk of being harmed by a vaccine is infinitesimal compared to the risk of being hit by a car, or falling in the tub, or even being beaten by one's family member. People who refuse to get their kids vaccinated should be extradited to Mexico or something. You may not care about your kids but I have like ten of them to worry about and should not have to worry about them dying of something easily prevented because you watch too much Fox TV and, thus, live in fear of your own shadow.

Old 12-31-2009, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhadorn View Post
Vaccinations aren't for everyone. Some people can't take vaccinations because of the effect on their body. Sure, most people will be fine after vaccinations, but what about the ones who are disabled, or mentally impaired because of it.
The ones who refuse vaccinations are the ones mentally impaired. If you refuse a vaccine and don't get sick you can thank the rest of us who DO get vaccinated for that - but guess what? If we ALL followed that stupid example we'd be right back to having kids walking around in leg braces and dying in iron lungs. And no, it was not so uncommon as you might want to believe. I'm only 47 and had at least two childhood friends scarred by polio, one by scarlet fever, and another by rubella.

Know anyone walking around like that today? I don't either - guess why? Because they're DEAD. That's another of those lingering side effects of polio, scarlet fever, rubella, etc. I was there to see two of them put in the ground in their twenties.

Quote:
No, I think we aren't REALLY free if we are forced or required to put something into our bodies we don't want. That's another thread entirely though.
No, it isn't. Not if the thread is about freedom being part of happiness, which is what many in this discussion seem to believe.

Freedom is NOT the right to give the finger to those around you. That kind of freedom isn't a meaningful freedom and may have been fine for Bobby Mcgee, but having nothing left to lose - nothing worth protecting - is the last step before desperation. Desperation is a plague on society.

We live in a society. That means responsibilities to others as well. Part of that responsibility is not placing the lives of others at unreasonable risk through deliberate actions or neglect. If you are sick, stay the hell at home; if you refuse to protect yourself against very dangerous diseases the rest of us have agreed worthwhile to protect against, then you most definitely have the right AND freedom to remove yourself from our presence. What you do NOT have the right to do is to place yourself at unreasonable risk then walk amongst us. The "freedom" you are espousing is tantamount to the freedom to don an explosive vest and go shopping at the mall.

Old 12-31-2009, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poptones View Post
Even those that are deemed "safe" vaccines are really bad.

Ummm.... what? Vaccines protect society against plague. On the scale of good and bad, I rank that definitively on the "really good" end. The risk of being harmed by a vaccine is infinitesimal compared to the risk of being hit by a car, or falling in the tub, or even being beaten by one's family member. People who refuse to get their kids vaccinated should be extradited to Mexico or something. You may not care about your kids but I have like ten of them to worry about and should not have to worry about them dying of something easily prevented because you watch too much Fox TV and, thus, live in fear of your own shadow.
Many of the diseases being vaccinated against are now rare, if not completely eradicated from natural existence in the US. Others pose little or no risk to the child being vaccinated against them. If you really want to protect your children from diseases, push for an end to illegal immigration.

Diseases that have been eradicated in the US are being reintroduced by illegal aliens. Diseases such as Tuberculosis, dengue fever, chagas, and leprosy, which are still active in Mexico. If these diseases continue to spread, then the benefit of vaccinations may outweigh the bad, but the current vaccinations that are given are of little to no benefit.

Notice I said ILLEGAL immigration. I have no problem with anyone coming to the US as long as it is through the proper channels, in order to control diseases, crime, etc.

Old 12-31-2009, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poptones View Post
The ones who refuse vaccinations are the ones mentally impaired. If you refuse a vaccine and don't get sick you can thank the rest of us who DO get vaccinated for that - but guess what? If we ALL followed that stupid example we'd be right back to having kids walking around in leg braces and dying in iron lungs. And no, it was not so uncommon as you might want to believe. I'm only 47 and had at least two childhood friends scarred by polio, one by scarlet fever, and another by rubella.

Know anyone walking around like that today? I don't either - guess why? Because they're DEAD. That's another of those lingering side effects of polio, scarlet fever, rubella, etc. I was there to see two of them put in the ground in their twenties.

No, it isn't. Not if the thread is about freedom being part of happiness, which is what many in this discussion seem to believe.

Freedom is NOT the right to give the finger to those around you. That kind of freedom isn't a meaningful freedom and may have been fine for Bobby Mcgee, but having nothing left to lose - nothing worth protecting - is the last step before desperation. Desperation is a plague on society.

We live in a society. That means responsibilities to others as well. Part of that responsibility is not placing the lives of others at unreasonable risk through deliberate actions or neglect. If you are sick, stay the hell at home; if you refuse to protect yourself against very dangerous diseases the rest of us have agreed worthwhile to protect against, then you most definitely have the right AND freedom to remove yourself from our presence. What you do NOT have the right to do is to place yourself at unreasonable risk then walk amongst us. The "freedom" you are espousing is tantamount to the freedom to don an explosive vest and go shopping at the mall.
The fact is, I can choose not to get vaccinated if I want, and for the past 15 years I have chosen that. It matters not to me if you like it.

This thread has gone way off topic, so if you would like to discuss vaccinations start a thread. I'm done.

Old 12-31-2009, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneJackson View Post
Not knowing what's in the vaccinations is even more ignorant.
I can know what's inside a watch, it doesn't mean a thing to me if all I want to know is the time.

It also doesn't mean a thing to me if I don't UNDERSTAND what those pieces do and how they work. Which seems to be the place you are at right now.

Seriously.

Quote:
Your Immune System is the BEST defense against any disease.
Ahhh yeah. And that's how VACCINATIONS work. If you're going to try to argue this you should at least take the time to do more research than has been spoon fed to you by those looneys at FOX news or where ever it is you got your information.

Quote:
But that's just my opinion. I guess some people need to be Euthanized anyway to help the rest of us prolong the species.
Umm... no comment.

It does seem those who refuse to vaccinate their kids will, inevitably, follow right along this darwinian path you've just outlined...

Old 12-31-2009, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Many of the diseases being vaccinated against are now rare, if not completely eradicated from natural existence in the US.
Insane. Guess what else USED to be rare in the US?

"Consumption."

But we have these things called AIRPLANES, see, and it matters not whether someone EMMIGRATES to a place, all they need to do is get on one of these newfangled contraptions with 150 other travellers and pretty soon their illness has spread. Thanks to these newfangled things, we have all sorts of new forms of "consumption" in the US, brought to us via former soviet prisoners who got incomplete treatments and thus were left with lingering, highly resistant strains of the disease. Thanks to our own screwed up health care system in the US (not to mention the climbing poverty rate thanks to the haves so far outbalancing the have-nots) we also have very poor follow-up on these dangerous cases domestically. Which menas someone shows up with resistant TB, gets one course of meds, doesn't complete the treatment, and now carries and even stronger, more dangerous form through our society. And no, most of these are not "immigrants" they are bums and poor indigenous residents. Immigrants by and large don't come here for a free ride they can get at home, they come here to work and thus cannot afford to remain sick.

We do not have "illegal Mexicans" to blame for all our woes, sorry.

Virii don't care about green cards or whether or not one likes the countryside long enough to LIVE there. Most illnesses come and go in our bodies, they are not contagious for a lifetime and so IMMIGRATION -- illegal or not -- has not a thing to do with it. This is just another stupid isolationist rhetoric of those of the FOX news mindset.

Last edited by poptones; 12-31-2009 at 03:45 PM..

Old 01-04-2010, 01:55 PM

809 posts, read 1,861,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonian View Post
If I had to sum up Mississippi in one word, it would be "freedom." Maybe that is why there are more happy people in Mississippi than in other states that have more regulations.
Please explain. "Freedom" is something we all share as Americans. the levels of freedoms, however, are relative to the state you live in and the level of income you make.

Old 01-04-2010, 02:02 PM

809 posts, read 1,861,908 times
Quote:
To OneJackson, let's agree to disagree.

Quote:
I think many people in Mississippi are happy, and all we really have to go on is this silly poll where they asked people if they are happy. Mississippians said "Yes".

You think they lied and aren't really happy.

From one happy Mississipian to another, have a good new year!

I don't think they(people polled) lied, I just think the poll itself is jaded. big difference.

Happy New Year to you too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi