Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 09:19 AM

216 posts, read 641,294 times

Advertisements

Lol...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 05:48 PM

1 posts, read 3,416 times
Missoula is very friendly when you come to visit - as we did about a dozen times before deciding to move here. Jovs seemed likely as we are both college educated profressionals with a strong work ethic and background. We've opened a buisness and while everyone thinks it's a much needed service in the area -- people don't want to pay -- why can't I have it freeeee? but hey I have this for sale that you might want. Hmm how am I supposed to buy your product if you won't buy mine?
Time will tell -- make sure you have at least a years expenses put away before you come and have a job before you get here.

Old 05-01-2010, 04:48 PM

836 posts, read 1,493,013 times
Flamingo -- Missoulians tend not to have a lot of disposable income. A cruise down Brooks or downtown to look at abandoned storefronts will tell you that. You may have seen the article on MSN a few months ago that ranked Missoula #2 for job losses nationally. I am sorry if your business isn't doing well; you have my sympathy, it's hard to make it here. But I don't necessarily think it's because Missoulians are tightwads, or scammers (though of course there are plenty of both); it's just because we have no money!

Old 07-24-2010, 07:29 AM

119 posts, read 379,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
I do have to credit Missoula, and Montana in general for the personal safety factor. Crime was miniscule there compared to what it is here in the Carolinas, and most other areas of the country in general. And the hip-hop "thug" thing was pleasantly, virtually absent from the culture. That's ONE thing I didn't miss at all while I was out there. It was more a college, "skater dude" culture among the young people. Oh, and a lot of cases of too many body piercings..
That sentence my dear montanamon is what as tip the balance for me,
i am Canadian and will leave Canada for sure in mid 2011 or early 2012 to either Mizou. or bozeman (it depend how much land i will be able to buy) as my relocation destination.At first i was thinking about the Burlington VT/Plattsburgh NY area but whenever you have progressives(witch i am one) they seem to be compelled to adopt this path of self destruction by allowing this ghetto-rap,street gangs,thug element to exist in order to satisfy this ridiculous diversity Bullcrap.The area in VT and upstate NY witch i mention above are being turned into urban nightmares by allowing that element witch are coming out of the east coast disgraces of NYC,Boston and N.new jersey along with immigrants from the third world to thrive within their mist by allowing them immediate access to generous welfare and programs while tolerating their life style and attitude!
My country three major cities of Toronto,Montreal and Vancouver have been turned into diversity nightmares where no where in the country one is allowed to own a gun at all.However they on the other hand are arm to their teeth!
Hopefully Missoula will not allow that garbage to ever take a foothold in this beautiful little town just because it is progressive

Old 07-24-2010, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBoz View Post

The Bad: . A lack of diversity (92% white).

In short Missoula can be summed up as a diversly homogenous ()community (All Caucasion: punks, rednecks, white trash, hippies, cowboys, college professors, lawyers, blue collars, nature lovers ...) who all enjoy poverty with a view. Heaven in the summer and hell froze over in the winter.
92% white bad???? and ALL Caucasian,
now that's racist imagine saying it the other way around

Old 07-24-2010, 11:06 AM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,123,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RATT View Post
That sentence my dear montanamon is what as tip the balance for me,
i am Canadian and will leave Canada for sure in mid 2011 or early 2012 to either Mizou. or bozeman (it depend how much land i will be able to buy) as my relocation destination.At first i was thinking about the Burlington VT/Plattsburgh NY area but whenever you have progressives(witch i am one) they seem to be compelled to adopt this path of self destruction by allowing this ghetto-rap,street gangs,thug element to exist in order to satisfy this ridiculous diversity Bullcrap.The area in VT and upstate NY witch i mention above are being turned into urban nightmares by allowing that element witch are coming out of the east coast disgraces of NYC,Boston and N.new jersey along with immigrants from the third world to thrive within their mist by allowing them immediate access to generous welfare and programs while tolerating their life style and attitude!
My country three major cities of Toronto,Montreal and Vancouver have been turned into diversity nightmares where no where in the country one is allowed to own a gun at all.However they on the other hand are arm to their teeth!
Hopefully Missoula will not allow that garbage to ever take a foothold in this beautiful little town just because it is progressive
Being a Canadian (who is thinking of moving to Montana) and classified him self as a "progressive".....I have a sincere question regarding termonolgy:.........
"progressive"; "right-wing" and "liberal"..........................from your perspective, what are the differences?

I am sincere with this question.......it is not put forth to raise an argument.....I would just like to know the answer from a Canadian's point of view. Thanks

Oh, regarding the "rap", "gang" and related type element.....I couldn't agree more. That element, illegle aliens and the "introduced" Canadian Grey Timber Wolf (not re-introduced), rank at the top of my list for ___________,
'you can fill in the blank"!

Old 07-24-2010, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
Being a Canadian (who is thinking of moving to Montana) and classified him self as a "progressive".....I have a sincere question regarding termonolgy:.........
"progressive"; "right-wing" and "liberal"..........................from your perspective, what are the differences?

I am sincere with this question.......it is not put forth to raise an argument.....I would just like to know the answer from a Canadian's point of view. Thanks

Oh, regarding the "rap", "gang" and related type element.....I couldn't agree more. That element, illegle aliens and the "introduced" Canadian Grey Timber Wolf (not re-introduced), rank at the top of my list for ___________,
'you can fill in the blank"!
Montana Griz,

Progressive or liberal are American designations witch really means"less right wing than the right wing",you do not have a true left in the USA and neither does Canada.Can you imagine here in my upside down country the Liberal Party OF Canada is a right wing party ,however we have a "toothless tiger" of a left called the NDP.I will leave it at that not to start cursing uncontrollably.
In the rest of the civilize/industrialize world i.e.Europe,Japan,Australia and New-Zeland the left is called social democrats or Labour parties.We stand in a few words for controlled but nonetheless highly profitable capitalism, effective and enforced environmental regulations and strong labour protection laws,all of witch have contributed to provide to the people of Western Europe more precisely the north western quadrant of western Europe a standard of living and quality of life that is exponentially higher than both Canada and the USA.However we are not perfect because left winger all over the civilize world have this delusional and self destructive mentality of accepting,promoting and inflicting diversity just for the sake of it.For example if you take the time one day go unto the Minneapolis MN,Burlington VT,Newburgh NY,Portland or Lewiston ME,Milwaukee or des moines IA sections of city-data to only name these and search for :crime,gangs,diversity or Somalians and you will read real life accounts that will break your hart.Or just take a trip upstream to dtwn Vancouver or head eastward to my native Toronto or to Montreal to have a real life Canadian perspective of this diversity curse.
Therefore since i was on a American web site ,i refer to myself as a progressive because "when in Rome..."
------------------------------------------
PS:Sorry about our misbehavin' wolves but to tell the truth i have never seen one and couldn't distinguish them from a husky

Old 07-24-2010, 11:08 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,123,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RATT View Post
Montana Griz,

Progressive or liberal are American designations witch really means"less right wing than the right wing",you do not have a true left in the USA and neither does Canada.Can you imagine here in my upside down country the Liberal Party OF Canada is a right wing party ,however we have a "toothless tiger" of a left called the NDP.I will leave it at that not to start cursing uncontrollably.
In the rest of the civilize/industrialize world i.e.Europe,Japan,Australia and New-Zeland the left is called social democrats or Labour parties.We stand in a few words for controlled but nonetheless highly profitable capitalism, effective and enforced environmental regulations and strong labour protection laws,all of witch have contributed to provide to the people of Western Europe more precisely the north western quadrant of western Europe a standard of living and quality of life that is exponentially higher than both Canada and the USA.However we are not perfect because left winger all over the civilize world have this delusional and self destructive mentality of accepting,promoting and inflicting diversity just for the sake of it.For example if you take the time one day go unto the Minneapolis MN,Burlington VT,Newburgh NY,Portland or Lewiston ME,Milwaukee or des moines IA sections of city-data to only name these and search for :crime,gangs,diversity or Somalians and you will read real life accounts that will break your hart.Or just take a trip upstream to dtwn Vancouver or head eastward to my native Toronto or to Montreal to have a real life Canadian perspective of this diversity curse.
Therefore since i was on a American web site ,i refer to myself as a progressive because "when in Rome..."
------------------------------------------
PS:Sorry about our misbehavin' wolves but to tell the truth i have never seen one and couldn't distinguish them from a husky
Thank you....I do appreciate your explanation regarding the referenced terms.

During my 40 years of being involved in the 'steel fabrication portion' of the steel industry, I had, on several occasions,in the 1960's and early 1970's, the opportunity to go to Toronto and Vancouver, BC.......at that time, I found Vancouver BC to be an enjoyable place to spend several days, however, I did not find Toronto to be anything like Vancouver, and did not enjoy my time there. I mean no offense, this is just my opinion.

I hope you are able to consumate a move to Montana.....I'm sure it will meet most of your expectations. Good luck.

Old 09-05-2010, 01:58 PM

1 posts, read 3,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minievil39 View Post
I agree with JoJoMan. Missoula is a dirty town. It is too diverse for it's own good. I was born and raised here. Let me tell you all that the quaint town of Missoula that it use to be no longer exists. We are now a large city with way to many liberals and too much trend. Our area has wonderful outdoors and recreation areas. I have hunted since I was a little girl. We use to throw our deer and elk in the back of the truck and take it through town to our house. Neighbors would come over to see what we scored. Now if you drive through town with a dead deer you get nasty snarls and glares. Even flipped off. The liberals have taken over our town! We can no longer ride our dirtbikes, snowmobiling is almost out of the question. They have closed all of our trails. If you want to walk through a store smelling B.O, seeing dirty people with bare feet, dreadlocks, nasty beat up housing (or now townhouses), you want to go to gay bars, then this place is for you. Unfortunately my entire family is here so it is hard to leave. But please. You've already ruined our wonderful town so continue to move here. Maybe eventually people will realize how horrible this place and start to take over another city and we can have our town back!
Hello from Maryland, My husband and I are recently retired from the military and looking to move to MT. our concern is how diverse is Missoula? So many people are moving from Maryland because we are now a "sanctuary state" and you literally have to bolt things down on your property so it will not be stolen or looking over your shoulder all the time.Besides that it has become such a bailout state thanks to the progressives that are a cancer to the republic that the economy has tanked due to so many undeserving entitlements for illegals and those who have abused the welfare system for years.I see the ratio of nationalities in the city but they are two years old and we want to know how and if it has become worse as far as crime and illegal immagration? Thank you.

Old 09-09-2010, 07:47 PM

11 posts, read 22,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJoeMan View Post
Hey I never said I wasn't happey with Missoula - I just find it very entertaining you might say, it is always good for a laugh. Oh say I did go to the UM - got my Masters and get paid accordingly.
Yea I thought about buying up lots of property and locking the gate - but that's so old hat around here now - I'd feel like a follower rather that a leader in that endevaor.
I'm not sure I ever said I didn't want anyone moving here - I think it was more like - spread out a little - missoula isn't the only place you need to come to in order to get high, stare at the mountains, open a yoga studio, build another subdivision, get a degree, grow a poney tail, have a pot festival, protest the war, relive the 60s, go mountain bike riding, become a fishing guide, eat tofu, encourage a bully football team that picks on defensless losers, become self-absorbed, wear berkinstocks, eat over priced natural food, read the local liberal independent rag news paper, pamper yourself with thoughts of being multicutural tolerant, and ride you 4 thousand dollar foo-foo bike down the middle of the main street in order to prover you are willing to act, and die like and idiot if necessary like to save the planet, gosh did I leave anyone out ?
Missoula it's a lovely place if you like that sort of thing, or just like to laugh at it, I'm in the later camp.
Can you honestly say you're not a fan of girls in yoga pants? Honestly?

Despite the fact that I suspect we're on opposite ends of the spectrum with respect to our viewpoints on a lot of things, I agree with you about the cultural homogeneity. I'm a brand spanking new transplant, and I have a love/hate relationship with the culture here so far. I love the emphasis on outdoor activities but am a little bemused by the hyperathleticism (is it really necessary to take your morning jog up the M?); I love the political awareness but am highly suspect about its depth; etc, etc. Campus is pretty much the least diverse place I've ever been to in terms of both demographics and style - if you're not wearing shorts and flannel you're going to get ogled. I was walking to class today and some undergrad went "nice umbrella" - apparently he was of the "a little rain never hurt anyone, man" persuasion, but I couldn't help but point out that he looked like a drowned kitten in a burlap sack.

On the other hand, I love the girls so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula