Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 02:16 PM

6 posts, read 31,901 times

Advertisements

I'm planning on driving my RV heading west on I-64 and catching I-70 in St. Louis. Continuing on I-70 through Kansas City and into the state of Kansas. Some cities are not very RV friendly to drive through. Any advice on how to make the trip as smooth as possible i.e. alternate routes, bypasses etc. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 03:43 PM

914 posts, read 2,206,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyJackson View Post
I'm planning on driving my RV heading west on I-64 and catching I-70 in St. Louis. Continuing on I-70 through Kansas City and into the state of Kansas. Some cities are not very RV friendly to drive through. Any advice on how to make the trip as smooth as possible i.e. alternate routes, bypasses etc. Thanks in advance.
Really there should be no issues in Missouri unless you hit morning or afternoon rush hours. The possible exception might be I-70 through downtown Kansas City. It has several tight curves (for an interstate) between I 435 on the east and I 435 on the west, and if traffic is slow getting in the right lane may be difficult. Consider taking I 470 to I 435 back up to I 70. There is currently construction work on I 70 at Independence. Or, if you don't mind a few stoplights, exit I 435 at Kansas 10 and take it over to I 70 at Lawrence.

Old 07-09-2011, 11:55 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Try to get through Independence before 3pm as the construction congestion is a real pain. Take the curves slowly and you should be just fine. I-70 stays on the North edge of downtown. All in all you'll find it less eventful than St. Louis I suspect. Actually once you get about 1.5 miles or less into the KS side I-70 becomes quite straight again. You'll encounter contruction (one lane traffic) again a few times between KC, Lawrence, Topeka & Manhattan. Beyond that I can't be of help. Check MODOT and the 511 safe travel websites for road conditions in Missouri & Kansas respectively.

Missouri Road Conditions
MoDOT Traveler Information Map

Kansas Road Conditions
Requirements

Old 07-09-2011, 04:40 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,385,776 times
I would take I64 all the way through the St. Louis area to where it meets 70 at Wentzville. It's a new highway, and takes you through a safer area. I70 west of downtown is a lousy area and has a lot of curves.

Old 07-11-2011, 01:33 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,239,617 times
Do what ARRBY says and take I-470 to I-435 and go around on the south end.

Old 07-15-2011, 01:29 PM

Thanks for all of the advice and helpful tips. Sharp curves, city traffic and construction congestion can make an RV drive in the city a hair-raising experience.

Old 07-15-2011, 01:40 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyJackson View Post
When my husband and I traveled extensively in the past, we never went on interstates (unless there were no other options).

Driving on smaller highways across the country allows you to really appreciate and enjoy the scenery, and get a flavor of small-town America. We had so many wonderful experiences that we would not have had if we had been on the interstate.

If you are not in a hurry, take a little extra time, slow down and enjoy what makes America great.

20yrsinBranson

Old 07-15-2011, 01:52 PM

1,563 posts, read 3,873,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
I would take I64 all the way through the St. Louis area to where it meets 70 at Wentzville. It's a new highway, and takes you through a safer area. I70 west of downtown is a lousy area and has a lot of curves.
This is good advice, Highway 40 will take you all the way to 70 outside of STL. Its just a much more pleasant drive. I wouldn't worry about safety, as you are on an interstate.

Old 07-15-2011, 03:38 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,008,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlcitygirl View Post
This is good advice, Highway 40 will take you all the way to 70 outside of STL. Its just a much more pleasant drive. I wouldn't worry about safety, as you are on an interstate.
Yep. Very Easy Drive. Boone Bridge will be the only (and very minor) Inconvenience.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
If you are not in a hurry, take a little extra time, slow down and enjoy what makes America great. 20yrsinBranson
Yes, I'd like to do the same. I have a schedule , where I need to be in CO in 6 days from Florida. If I can get ahead of myself, I can start to use some US Hwys. and see a bit more of the scenery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlcitygirl View Post
Great, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
Yep. Very Easy Drive. Boone Bridge will be the only (and very minor) Inconvenience.
I'll keep that in mind as I go through there. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri