Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 11:12 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,756,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORexpat View Post
My major problem, however, throughout the trip, was the difficulty in finding a clean motel room. I spent 6 nights in dirty, not necessarily cheap, rooms. The other 6 were clean, and one only cost $38. I mentioned in another post the problems with east Indian ownership or management. All the dirty ones were of this type. I am planning to complain to the Missouri tourist board. It is difficult, because I don't want to be labelled a racist. I would say maybe 75% of the motels in the areas I travelled are east Indian managed. One, in Olathe, KS, was obviously trying very hard. Only one small problem. But, I watched his wife carefully sweep the lobby, then open the front door, and sweep out the accumulation onto the front door mat, where it joined other little piles, to be tracked in by the next person.
I've stayed all around Missouri and usually I've been just fine. We mostly stay in chain motels like Motel 6 or Days Inn, but most have been clean, even if small. I'm not sure why all the ones you stayed at were so dirty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2008, 11:01 PM

139 posts, read 528,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxine3 View Post
Wilcox Cemetery?
Just outside Laredo,in Grundy county, called Richardson Cemetery. Sometimes it's called other names.

Old 05-11-2008, 10:52 AM

2 posts, read 5,787 times
Thumbs down visiting missouri

i was there for about 5months in missouri i had avery bad exsperience while i was there i found the state to be a not so good place to raise your children alot of crime the people were friendly somewhat ........ the motels were not clean and the police deptof one town were not so nice to its tourists in fact they were very rude .... i will not visit the state again .....it was a beatiful state but i found alot of distasteful things about it ....... of course this is just my opionion of the state.....

Old 05-11-2008, 12:07 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,016,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygirl22 View Post
i was there for about 5months in missouri i had avery bad exsperience while i was there i found the state to be a not so good place to raise your children alot of crime the people were friendly somewhat ........ the motels were not clean and the police deptof one town were not so nice to its tourists in fact they were very rude .... i will not visit the state again .....it was a beatiful state but i found alot of distasteful things about it ....... of course this is just my opionion of the state.....
To paint an entire state, with a brush based on experience in how many different cities/towns?
Sorry to hear of your bad times/experiences, but a post such as this from you opens up so many additional questions... Good luck to you.

Old 05-11-2008, 04:13 PM

2,140 posts, read 4,431,042 times
The only motel in Missouri I ever stayed at where I found it to be less than squeaky clean was this place down in West Plains back in 2003 for only $19.99 a night. I figured at that price I could put up with just about anything for the one night I was staying in town as long as the roof doesn't leak and I get rained upon. Sure enough, the office was full of tobacco smoke and there was this kind of sorry-looking cat who tried his best to serve as motel greeter. It was actually a pretty fun experience. I opened the room window to let in some fresh air, and the TV, despite the lack of a remote control as well as a number of broken buttons on the monitor itself, picked up a few channels just fine. The shower was beat up, but the hot water came out at 211.998 degrees Fahrenheit by my own personal estimate. I hurried up and turned down the hot water and turned on the cold until it was just right. The next day I woke up refreshed with a very happy billfold , checked out and drove down to Grand Gulf State Park and had a great time hiking there before driving back up to St. Louis to rendezvous with my family members who had been at my brother's college reunion in Fulton before going to St. Louis themselves.

But like I said, every other Missouri motel I've stayed at has been S-P-I-C and span with friendly folks at the front offices.

Old 05-11-2008, 06:40 PM

23,410 posts, read 36,834,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygirl22 View Post
oh, puleeze! -rolling eyes in disdain- What is it with people???? Oh, yeah, I almost forgot, my daddy always said average IQ was 100, mild retardation sets in at 80, do the math........
Sorry, posts like this about my beloved Mo just get my German up.

Old 05-11-2008, 07:29 PM

282 posts, read 811,860 times
Not everyone loves your 'beloved Missouri'.
Get over it.

Old 05-11-2008, 08:46 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,016,115 times
Quote:
Not everyone loves your 'beloved Missouri'.
Get over it.
And this is coming from someone who wrote: http://www.city-data.com/forum/3229881-post23.html

Anyhow, I can say for myself - yea, there are parts of Missouri that are indeed Mizzery. However, there are for the most parts vast lands within her borders that are awesome, amazing, beautiful, and wondrous - and it tis those areas that are worthy of remembering the goodness, while at the same time working to make the other areas better. See, I don't ignore the bad, cause yes there is bad w/in these borders, but I believe by knowing what is in need of repair that then you can improve. That is why when someone lays claim that "such and such was sooooo terrible", but yet does not bring any proof nor evidence to relate, then how can we recognize this as being true, instead of someone [and no, I am not speaking directly to countrygirl22's post, but in general] just having an isolated bad experience, which we all can have, anywhere. As far as not everyone loving Missouri - heck that suits me, then it won't be as crowded!

ps: w/ that all said, let me relate this - I've been to NJ ~8 times; and each time was to the Newark area, specifically Elizabeth. Dare I paint the entire state w/ what a person sees in that part of the Garden State? I thought not... Point is, one must travel enough areas, maybe even more than once, to truly know the heart and soul of a region, and her peoples.

Old 05-12-2008, 05:50 AM

282 posts, read 811,860 times
Since you checked my posts, I guess you missed the one about my knowing Maryville (northwest MO) for more than 50 years. And, KC area for more than 20 years

Old 05-13-2008, 08:14 AM
jps

79 posts, read 390,529 times
Quote:
Since you checked my posts, I guess you missed the one about my knowing Maryville (northwest MO) for more than 50 years. And, KC area for more than 20 years
...and a bitter old woman for a long time as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri