Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 09:17 AM

870 posts, read 3,082,443 times

Advertisements

My Granddad said to look at the critters. Like if the squirrels have really bushy tails, that means it's gonna be cold...brrrrr...
The ones in my "hood" are gettin pretty thick! Maybe they know something the Old Farmer doesn't. Although I really like the Almanac........the predictions are pretty open to error and speculation.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2007, 01:10 PM

1,238 posts, read 4,471,659 times
I have donkeys, and I knew last year was going to be a rough winter because of the thickness of the hair on my A-*-*! Ha!

Old 10-19-2007, 01:21 PM

526 posts, read 1,246,816 times
We have ALOT of spider webs outside our house. Hubby says that means it's gonna be a rough winter

Old 10-22-2007, 01:00 PM

870 posts, read 3,082,443 times
Default It's beginning....

http://bestsmileys.com/winter/14.gif (broken link)

Sorta chilly today....Hmmmm..... Yum! Chili! What a concept!

I remember snow on Halloween in 2000 at Cape Fair, MO. so it could be here any day now!!

Them squirrels, spiders and "donkeys" better "suit up"!!!!

Old 10-22-2007, 10:32 PM

47 posts, read 232,074 times
My daughters 2nd grade teacher told her about the persimion sead last friday. We cut one open and it was a spoon too!

I did actually see someone at Target today buying a snow shovel. I thought it may be a little early for that! Early bird gets the worm I guess.

They do still make Flexible Flyers. Our kids had a blast on it last year sledding through the horse pasture. Still the best made!

Old 10-24-2007, 01:01 PM

1,554 posts, read 4,551,962 times
Oh I forgot to get me a Snow shovel...Heck I ain't shoveling.... I just stay inside to keep warm or go sliding...None of the work stuff in the winter for me.

Old 10-28-2007, 09:37 PM

1,642 posts, read 3,655,663 times
Thumbs up What a fun thread!

Before I respond to any of these posts, I just have to say, "Thanks, babe!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnyardbabe View Post
Are there any 'country folk' on here?? If so,have you ever heard of a persimmon seed predicting our winters?? Welllllll....i cut open five seeds today and they all had spoons in them !! guess if old folklore is true,we will be shoveling some snow !!

Thought i would let you all know some of the things i do in my 'spare' time here on my farm....this is Missouri~of course.......

According to folklore (which means it hasn't been scientific proven, or disproved), the severity of approaching winter can be cutting open a persimmon seed and looking at the shape of the kernel inside. Hold the seed carefully with a pair of needled-nose pliers and use a paring knife to slice it open.

If the kernel is spoon-shaped, lots of heavy, wet snow is forecasted.
If the kernel is fork-shaped, powdery light snow and a mild winter is predicted.
If the kernel is knife-shaped, bitter icy cutting winds for next few months will occur. It is recommended to cut at least ten seeds to determine the outcome of the kernel shape.
Okay, I've just got one question......just what is that seed supposed to look like if there is to be a MILD winter or what is it just normally supposed to look like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebll31 View Post
Don't forget the long-handled ice scraper with the brush on the end-used more often than the snowblower around here!
Okie dokie. Now that I know about it, I won't forget it! Thanks, firebll!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongazid View Post
I just cut open a persimmon. Inside I saw a soild black wooley worm all curled up with a shovel in one hand and knife in the other!!! I don't know what that means but I'm goin to church this week just to be on the safe side!
I'm still loling at that one, mongazid!!! You're funneee! I'm sure God appreciated seeing you in church, too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by collected_eve View Post
Also if the wasps build their nests high, then it will be a long & harsh winter. Or so I've heard, which is exactly why it's folklore. I guess we are supposed to notice how high a wasps nest usually is....though, they always seem to nest right under the gutters of a roof.
ExACTly!!! I mean...can we TALK???!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentaxlecrew View Post
Never heard that. Interesting! Next time my nan makes persimmon cookies Im going to ask for those seeds. Last winter we actually had a our first snow here ever. My bro was actually able to make a 6 inch snowman!!
Hahahahahaaa! Lovin' the picture in my mind of that 6" snowman!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark Nana View Post
Grandma (in Michigan) use to say that if the "wooley caterpillar" curled up in a ball that it was going to be a cold winter......come to think of it, they ALWAYS curled up into a ball......must of been true, don't remember to many "mild" winters in Michigan growing up!!

O.Nana
What a coincidence!!! I SAW a wooley caterpillar today!!! It was "bookin' it" across the parking lot at church. Maybe it was trying to get to shelter in anticipation of the forecasted frost warning tonight! We laughed 'cause my husband said he must have been an Irish caterpillar since he was a redhead! Then again, now that I think about it, he did have black roots!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darlynn0217 View Post
My Granddad said to look at the critters. Like if the squirrels have really bushy tails, that means it's gonna be cold...brrrrr...
The ones in my "hood" are gettin pretty thick! Maybe they know something the Old Farmer doesn't. Although I really like the Almanac........the predictions are pretty open to error and speculation.....
I have found that one to be true, darlynn! We lived in the mountains for several years before moving here and had very tame squirrels that we hand fed so we got up close and personal, ya might say. They really got wooley every winter but especially ones when the winter was much colder.

The squirrels around here don't seem to have a friendly bone in their body and since they kept running off the birds from our bird feeder, we took to running them off instead. We hardly ever see them anymore...at least not up close enough to notice whether their tails are bushy or skimpy.

Old 10-28-2007, 10:03 PM

26,419 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Winter? Winter might be cold this year, but I expect to see some decent snow events.

Old 10-29-2007, 04:16 AM

10 posts, read 26,107 times
Must not be to many 'ole timers' online....as if you talk to them in my area they can tell all kinds of 'ole wives tales' and such...because thats the way the ole timers had of predicting seasons mainly winter i guess...although any more with the ozones,satelites in the air etc..etc...guess maybe that messes up the air or seasons?? dunno??

as far as the wooly worms,have heard that if they are all black gonna be a tough winter,or if front half if black then first part of winter will be a tuff one and if back half is brown then gonna be a mild winter...etc...etc..

also heard if hornets nest are built high up gonna be a tuff winter also and if low to ground gonna be a mild winter........

have also heard about the squirrels tales being bushy will be a bad winter...and on animals hair coats being thick gonna be a tuff winter also...right now my goats are getting a thick coat already on them so will have to wait and see i guess....will keep ya all informed.....LOL...

guess these days just gonna have to wait and see...such as last years ice storm was very unpredictable i guess as ole timers who are in their 60 and 70's had never seen nuttin like it....

BUT~~~ what ever i have a big supply of wood.........always rather have it than not need and need it and not have it......ha..ha...

Happy fall to all.......baryardbabe

Old 10-29-2007, 12:10 PM

1,554 posts, read 4,551,962 times
When I went to Wally world to buy me de icer and scraper. The clerk asked me if we gonna need them. I said you just never know. Plus when you need them they will be all out of them. My kids are wishing for snow this year. I hope it does happen. Sorry folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri