Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 10:21 PM

685 posts, read 768,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
Rural states such as SC and TN have seen car makers such as Toyota and BMW. Why they're not super high paying jobs except for managers, engineers and such the jobs still pay much better than Wal-Mart or other lower paying service industry type jobs that are really the only jobs available in rural areas and many areas of the country.
You're conflating "rural state" with "rural area." Plants in SC/TN, and other states, have not been opened in small towns or rural areas. Most of them have been built in metropolitan areas.

Like I said, most businesses have no incentive to locate in rural areas, RTW or not. Rural areas have insufficient labor pools, a lack of startup capital, and usually poor infrastructure. I highly doubt we will be seeing an auto plant in, say, Annapolis MO anytime soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2017, 11:09 AM

26,426 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RisingAurvandil View Post
You're conflating "rural state" with "rural area." Plants in SC/TN, and other states, have not been opened in small towns or rural areas. Most of them have been built in metropolitan areas.

Like I said, most businesses have no incentive to locate in rural areas, RTW or not. Rural areas have insufficient labor pools, a lack of startup capital, and usually poor infrastructure. I highly doubt we will be seeing an auto plant in, say, Annapolis MO anytime soon.
There are auto plants in more rural areas, but they tend to be within 1 hour of a larger metropolitan area at most, and generally in a sizable city. Indiana has auto plants in Princeton (Toyota), Fort Wayne, (GM) Lafayette (Subaru), and Greensburg (Honda).

Old 02-18-2017, 11:55 AM

3,833 posts, read 3,344,638 times
Quote:

Even building it around Springfield for example would still supply jobs for people in rural areas in the region who will commute.

Lets face it, in this country most jobs unless you're a doctor, lawyer, engineer suck for the most part and offer low pay and crap insurance. A lot of technical jobs are now outsourced or taken by people with HB1 Visas because they will work for 50 grand a year instead of 90 grand.

Old 02-18-2017, 05:53 PM

685 posts, read 768,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
There are auto plants in more rural areas, but they tend to be within 1 hour of a larger metropolitan area at most, and generally in a sizable city. Indiana has auto plants in Princeton (Toyota), Fort Wayne, (GM) Lafayette (Subaru), and Greensburg (Honda).
All of which were built long before Indiana was a right-to-work state.

Quote:
Even building it around Springfield for example would still supply jobs for people in rural areas in the region who will commute.
Correct, but the vast majority of outstate MO is beyond commuting range of any sizable city.

Quote:
Lets face it, in this country most jobs unless you're a doctor, lawyer, engineer suck for the most part and offer low pay and crap insurance. A lot of technical jobs are now outsourced or taken by people with HB1 Visas because they will work for 50 grand a year instead of 90 grand.
There is some truth to that statement, but I disagree with your pessimism.

Financial analyst, teacher, accountant, bus driver, operator, carpenter, salesman, nurse, police officer, flight attendant. The list goes on. My point? There are still plenty of middle-class jobs in America.

Unemployment is low. Most everyone I know is gainfully employed. And businesses and institutions are investing capital once again. Shoot, I couldn't believe how many cranes I saw in Chicago last year. Even in StL, we had far more cranes than I can ever remember.

Old 02-18-2017, 09:34 PM

Quote:
All of which were built long before Indiana was a right-to-work state.

Correct, but the vast majority of outstate MO is beyond commuting range of any sizable city.

There is some truth to that statement, but I disagree with your pessimism.

Financial analyst, teacher, accountant, bus driver, operator, carpenter, salesman, nurse, police officer, flight attendant. The list goes on. My point? There are still plenty of middle-class jobs in America.

Unemployment is low. Most everyone I know is gainfully employed. And businesses and institutions are investing capital once again. Shoot, I couldn't believe how many cranes I saw in Chicago last year. Even in StL, we had far more cranes than I can ever remember.
However inflation keeps going up. Electric, food, insurance, gas and such. Flight attendants don't pay as good as they used to. I got about 60k in college loans total and I'm not going to settle for middle class pay after all the hard work and money.

Here in my town in Florida city workers have not gotten a raise in 6 years they told me and my county has been laying off teachers due to shrinking enrollment means less money coming from the state despite my county is steadily growing. The problem is it's old people moving here who are retired mostly from the northeast and upper Midwest and the county wants to put on the ballot to raise property taxes which will be hard to do because the old people don't want to pay higher taxes when they don't have children attending the schools. Yes there is a lot of construction boom in my region of Florida, but it's not really improving the local job market other than carpenters and healthcare since it's mostly old people moving here.

The low unemployment that has been touted is BS as well. Many of us are UNDER employed but count as employed or are not making the same as before 2009 and the recession. I work a crap retail job and count as employed despite making just above min wage and being way under employed.

Are you talking about just St. Louis city, or the city and county about new construction? Many businesses have been moving their offices out of downtown due to crime. I was reading on stltoday recently about Brown and Crouppen wanting to move out of the city of St. Louis due to the high crime and move out to the county.

If I was a large company I would be moving my company to the County if I was moving it to Missouri. Too much crime in St. Louis City and downtown. As an employee I'd hate to have to travel downtown for work and would carry a small firearm on me anyway to and from the office, but I'd hate to have to use stand your ground and then have to pay thousands for a defense lawyer for defending myself.

The problem is there is a large gap between the upper and lower class now with a shrinking middle class. Jobs that are considered middle class will eventually be in the lower middle class with higher cost of living. Teachers in my county make crap pay. I believe it's 33k they currently start at.

I voted for Trump and always vote Republican, but people thinking he is the savior of everything. A lot of damage has already been done.

I have about 60 k total in college loans and some middle class job paying only 30k-40k just won't cut it for me in order to own my own house and pay all my bills. I didn't bust my arse to make only middle class wages and being bossed around at a job I don't like.

I want to own my own small business though. I'd rather work for myself than for middle class pay. I'd rather take my chances trying to run a business and possibly failing and go broke.

Old 02-18-2017, 10:18 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
So what's holding you in Florida?

Old 02-18-2017, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
So what's holding you in Florida?
I moved here with my parents who are retired. I love the weather, but here in Southwest Florida it's mostly season and tourist so there is just not a lot of industry other than retail and tourism.

However The southern half of this states has exploded in population and the infrastructure just isn't built up for the influx. Roads, healthcare, stores and such unlike somewhere like St. Louis for example. A lot of Hispanics and New Englanders moving here.

What I hate is the gun laws here in Florida compared to Missouri! Here in Florida no open carry, three day wait period on handgun purchases without a ccw permit, no constitutional conceal carry like Missouri as well and our ccw permit law is stricter where you can carry and Florida unlike Texas and Missouri doesn't let you use other states permits. In Missouri had 3 permits in case something happened to my MO permit I had a backup permit. Can't do that in Florida!

Missouri is a permit less conceal carry state. There is nothing in the works here in Florida. Why should I need a stupid permit in order to BEAR arms? Missouri doesn't require it.

Last year our FL lawmakers did give us a 10 dollar reduction in ccw permit fees though!!!!!

Overall here in Florida the state is more liberal than Missouri. Trump barely won Florida while in Missouri he won by nearly 19 points and we don't have the as large super majority Republicans like Missouri does.

Also the gun ranges down here are nowhere near as good as Missouri or as many of them. St. Louis has a lot of great gun ranges such as Top Gun and Stl Sharpshooter. We have hardly any ranges down here. We have a indoor one near me but it's small and nothing like what St. Louis has or Springfield has that Sound of Freedom indoor range.

Most of Missouri is gun smart voters and vote for people who respect the right to bear arms. Most of Missouri considers firearms, and religion a major voting priority. I mean Trump only lost 3 counties in the entire state of Missouri!

Like down here open carry is illegal so I have to carry a smaller firearm so I don't have to worry about accidently printing or my shirt lifting up. In Missouri I would carry my full sized 1911 in the summer and not worry about my shirt lifting up. I remember once that happened at QT my shirt was lifted up and I walked passed a stl county cop on the way out and he saw me and didn't stop me or anything like that.

What is normal practice in rural Missouri for example open carrying WILL get you arrested here in Florida.

Old 03-03-2017, 03:29 PM

Well Eric Greitens just announced that Smith and Wesson is building a warehouse in Columbia, MO. I think right to work was a factor in it. Eric was out shooting some Smith and Wessons too. I wonder if permit less concealed carry passing was also a factor since Missouri is one of the most pro gun states in the union.

You wouldn't see Jay Nixon doing this.

A few years ago Missouri lawmakers were trying to get Springfield Armory to move to Missouri and they looked at a warehouse in Springfield, but Jay Nixon didn't come anywhere near it and wouldn't talk to Springfield Armory about moving to the state.

Old 03-04-2017, 03:00 PM

40 posts, read 44,450 times
Quote:
However inflation keeps going up. Electric, food, insurance, gas and such. Flight attendants don't pay as good as they used to. I got about 60k in college loans total and I'm not going to settle for middle class pay after all the hard work and money.

Here in my town in Florida city workers have not gotten a raise in 6 years they told me and my county has been laying off teachers due to shrinking enrollment means less money coming from the state despite my county is steadily growing. The problem is it's old people moving here who are retired mostly from the northeast and upper Midwest and the county wants to put on the ballot to raise property taxes which will be hard to do because the old people don't want to pay higher taxes when they don't have children attending the schools. Yes there is a lot of construction boom in my region of Florida, but it's not really improving the local job market other than carpenters and healthcare since it's mostly old people moving here.

The low unemployment that has been touted is BS as well. Many of us are UNDER employed but count as employed or are not making the same as before 2009 and the recession. I work a crap retail job and count as employed despite making just above min wage and being way under employed.

Are you talking about just St. Louis city, or the city and county about new construction? Many businesses have been moving their offices out of downtown due to crime. I was reading on stltoday recently about Brown and Crouppen wanting to move out of the city of St. Louis due to the high crime and move out to the county.

If I was a large company I would be moving my company to the County if I was moving it to Missouri. Too much crime in St. Louis City and downtown. As an employee I'd hate to have to travel downtown for work and would carry a small firearm on me anyway to and from the office, but I'd hate to have to use stand your ground and then have to pay thousands for a defense lawyer for defending myself.

The problem is there is a large gap between the upper and lower class now with a shrinking middle class. Jobs that are considered middle class will eventually be in the lower middle class with higher cost of living. Teachers in my county make crap pay. I believe it's 33k they currently start at.

I voted for Trump and always vote Republican, but people thinking he is the savior of everything. A lot of damage has already been done.

I have about 60 k total in college loans and some middle class job paying only 30k-40k just won't cut it for me in order to own my own house and pay all my bills. I didn't bust my arse to make only middle class wages and being bossed around at a job I don't like.

I want to own my own small business though. I'd rather work for myself than for middle class pay. I'd rather take my chances trying to run a business and possibly failing and go broke.
So you want to punish the city for having to much crime but reward the county? This is what pisses me off people that are so ignorant to fact the city holds most of the poverty in the entire region yet you want to continue to zap revenues from the city to promote the county and the wealthier? Instead of running from crime how about helping fix the issues that plague the city more than county and I'm not talking putting lipstick on a pig..
I for one enjoy the cities many amenities and what all it has to offer and yes i work downtown and have never had issues.
Its so sad how blinded stupid and ignorant your post is towards the city..
You're exactly what St.Louis doesn't need

Old 03-04-2017, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1764 View Post
So you want to punish the city for having to much crime but reward the county? This is what pisses me off people that are so ignorant to fact the city holds most of the poverty in the entire region yet you want to continue to zap revenues from the city to promote the county and the wealthier? Instead of running from crime how about helping fix the issues that plague the city more than county and I'm not talking putting lipstick on a pig..
I for one enjoy the cities many amenities and what all it has to offer and yes i work downtown and have never had issues.
Its so sad how blinded stupid and ignorant your post is towards the city..
You're exactly what St.Louis doesn't need
It doesn't help much when the politicians who run the city don't want to do much to fix it, instead some of them scream racism or blame the guns on it. The County has its issues too.

What needs to be done is these community organizers such as Al Sharpton, Obama, Jessie Jackson instead of blame the white man, look at the problems and the culture.

Sadly, yes you have a lot of crimes in rural areas that have a lot of poverty such as the Ozarks of Missouri and Arkansas, Tennessee, Kentucky, West Virginia, but they don't have nearly the violent crimes and random car jackings the major cities have such as St. Louis. It's more meth and drug related and property crimes.

Some of those rural areas I listed those people are even more poor than the ones in the city yet you don't have the horrible violent crimes.

Why should a company have to set up shop somewhere where the employees can be robbed or murdered on the way to and from work and possibly drive people away from wanting to work at their company?

While I'm not fan of Sam Dotson really, it's not his fault and only so much police can do. Also the blame goes to these liberal judges for setting criminals loose on low bails and light sentences and they keep on doing it again.

Same if I'm a sports team owner. I want my building in a safe, easy to access area, but also as a business it's bs you're charged an "amusement tax" in the city of St. Louis which cuts into profits. that is basically the same thing as that stupid soda tax some cities are pushing such as NYC and Philly.

While I hate how sports teams get tax money to fund their billion dollar stadiums and don't think government money and taxes should be used to build luxury stadiums for pro teams, I think it's stupid there is an extra tax on their business though.

The amusement tax hurts the Blues a lot. That is a big reason Bill Laurie sold the Blues. It's a 5 percent tax on ticket sales. The rams and cards didn't have to pay it so why should the Blues. That right there I'd take the Blues and move them to the county.

While Laurie hurt the team the last year he owned the Blues, he was the best owner the Blues ever had and really put a lot of money into the team to try and win a cup for St. Louis and every Blues fan should be thankful for him. I'd say Harry Ornest is right up there also. He saved the Blues from moving or folding. While he didn't have the big bucks to spend, the team still played hard and made the playoffs despite having to cut corners on payroll.

The Blues likely won't make the playoffs this season and the team has a lot of gaping holes to plug and as long as Armstrong is GM not much will improve. It's going to be a few years IMO before the Blues are cup contention material again. Last year was our shot.

Those Laurie years were the closest the Blues had talent wise. I think 99-00 all they had to do was win that game 7 against the Sharks and I think they would have won the Stanely Cup.

Actually 95-96 was a great run too. If game 7 against the Wings ended differently I think they would have won the Cup with Wayne and Hull that year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri