Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 11:52 PM

26,399 posts, read 46,325,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frahlick View Post
Yes, -30 is a bit of hyperbole! It is extremely cold though. Full disclosure, I was diagnosed with an autoimmune disorder this year, and the raynauds phenomenon that is a side effect makes it impossible for me to go enjoy the outdoors that this beautiful state offers in the winter. That's really a big part of what has us looking south. Even if I dress to the hilt my hands will still be purple and frozen if I take my dog for a walk around the block.

Rochester is a super nice town, I have spent quite a bit of time there with my mom at the Mayo. The Canadian Honker's coconut cake holds a special place in my heart. Unfortunately I think it's still a bit too chilled for me!

Thanks for your response
Sorry to hear that. MO doesn’t have any smaller stand-alone metros that perform as well as Rochester. Columbia, MO comes the closest regarding educational attainment.

Last edited by GraniteStater; 02-19-2018 at 10:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2018, 06:51 AM

13,520 posts, read 4,828,919 times
Quote:
Hi all!

My husband and I currently live in frosty Minnesota, and are thinking of relocating to Missouri or Tennessee. We both grew up on rural farms in central MN, but have been living just south of the Twin Cities for several years. While we love the convenience that that the Twin Cities offers, we have decided that the endless -30 degree days and extremely high cost of living just doesn't suit us. We just finished up a trip to eastern TN, and really liked Knoxville. I've been to Saint Louis a time of two (and loved it), but never really ventured much farther into the state than that. My mother-in-law and mom went on trail riding trips with their horses in Missouri and were smitten with the natural beauty.

I was hoping to get some insight from some locals about what life in Missouri is like, and what the different metros are like. We are looking closely at Springfield due to it's close proximity to the reservoirs (my husband is way into bass fishing), large amount of things to do, good job market and affordable housing. We are in our 20's/early 30's and are looking for a good place to start a family with many things for a young family to do. My husband works in health care, so the good hospitals is a big draw. I have been in the military for the past 6 years, and will be transitioning into the civilian information security (IT) sector. We would really like to find a place to live that offers a selection of jobs, and Springfield seems like a good fit. That being said we are open to suggestions!

Our hobbies mostly include fishing, hiking, and once a week going out for dinner. Boring, right!? I have read that the people of MO are pretty welcoming toward newcomers. While I know it's hard to make such a broad generalization like that, does anyone have an opinion on the general attitude toward out of towners? We both talk like we are straight out of the movie Fargo, so there will be no blending in to start with.

Any input is greatly appreciated! I'm the type to over-research and analyze before I make a decision, for fear of making the wrong one. We are excited at the prospect of moving someplace a little (tiny bit) warmer than here and putting down new roots.

Thanks

-Hannah
I grew up in MN, and also spent 5 years in suburban St Louis. I guess it's a trade-off. Trade bitter winter cold for stifling summer heat and humidity.

Since you specifically asked about this, you should know that St Louis has a reputation for being NOT welcoming to newcomers. We found this to be true. No hostility, just uninterested in getting to really know someone outside of their family / social circle. There is the famous St Louis question, "what High School did you go to?" We did manage to make friends while we were there, but the majority were not originally from St Louis. I don't think this phenomenon extends to the rest of the state. I've heard that people are friendlier in Kansas City, for example.

Old 02-19-2018, 11:31 AM

46 posts, read 70,241 times
KC, Springfield, and StL are all good places to live. Springfield has the best proximity to lakes/outdoor stuff but is much smaller and would likely have less career opportunities. IMO, KC is overall superior to StL (I've lived in both) but both have plenty to offer and a lot of people would say StL is better than KC. KC and StL are big enough that you can probably find plenty of people with similar interest. StL is more of a midwest/rust belty city, KC is more of a plains, midwest meets elements of the west/southwest type city. St Louis is bigger and more urban. KC is a little cleaner/nicer and definitely laid out better. StL is closer to Ozark type stuff. KC has some decent lakes within or close to the metro.

MO summers can be oppressive at times but are pretty nice overall. Winters can be very cold at times but is overall relatively mild, imo. Just looked it up and KC is 27 degrees warmer at the moment than Mpls. It was 60 when I woke up today.

KC would be closer to MN, you actually see a decent amount of MN transplants here and its about 6 hours up I35 from KC to Mpls.

I haven't spent a lot of time in TN and haven't been to Knoxville but Nashville and Chattanooga are great cities.

If I were you, I'd research some cities in both states then visit them as much as possible. Pick 2-3 finalists then find your best job opportunity.

Old 02-19-2018, 03:57 PM

4 posts, read 4,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
I grew up in MN, and also spent 5 years in suburban St Louis. I guess it's a trade-off. Trade bitter winter cold for stifling summer heat and humidity.

Since you specifically asked about this, you should know that St Louis has a reputation for being NOT welcoming to newcomers. We found this to be true. No hostility, just uninterested in getting to really know someone outside of their family / social circle. There is the famous St Louis question, "what High School did you go to?" We did manage to make friends while we were there, but the majority were not originally from St Louis. I don't think this phenomenon extends to the rest of the state. I've heard that people are friendlier in Kansas City, for example.
Thank you for the response, that's good info to have!! Saint Louis is too far from the reservoirs according to my husband, so we are sort of steering away from that area. It's beautiful, just doesn't seem to be best for us 😊

Old 02-19-2018, 03:59 PM

4 posts, read 4,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawker434 View Post
KC, Springfield, and StL are all good places to live. Springfield has the best proximity to lakes/outdoor stuff but is much smaller and would likely have less career opportunities. IMO, KC is overall superior to StL (I've lived in both) but both have plenty to offer and a lot of people would say StL is better than KC. KC and StL are big enough that you can probably find plenty of people with similar interest. StL is more of a midwest/rust belty city, KC is more of a plains, midwest meets elements of the west/southwest type city. St Louis is bigger and more urban. KC is a little cleaner/nicer and definitely laid out better. StL is closer to Ozark type stuff. KC has some decent lakes within or close to the metro.

MO summers can be oppressive at times but are pretty nice overall. Winters can be very cold at times but is overall relatively mild, imo. Just looked it up and KC is 27 degrees warmer at the moment than Mpls. It was 60 when I woke up today.

KC would be closer to MN, you actually see a decent amount of MN transplants here and its about 6 hours up I35 from KC to Mpls.

I haven't spent a lot of time in TN and haven't been to Knoxville but Nashville and Chattanooga are great cities.

If I were you, I'd research some cities in both states then visit them as much as possible. Pick 2-3 finalists then find your best job opportunity.
Thank you for the response! We are going to do a little more research on KC, we hadn't looked at it before!

Old 02-19-2018, 11:00 PM

3,825 posts, read 3,280,270 times
Quote:
Thank you for the response, that's good info to have!! Saint Louis is too far from the reservoirs according to my husband, so we are sort of steering away from that area. It's beautiful, just doesn't seem to be best for us 😊
There are lakes not too far. You have Clearwater Lake in Southeast Missouri as well as Reelfoot Lake right next to the Bootheel. Heck, once in awhile there are alligator sightings in Reelfoot. The bootheel once in awhile even has alligators spotted in the MS river.

While St. Louis can get really hot in the summer, you also get some nice cool days too where the temp might only hit 80 after a strong front. The average high in the middle of the summer is only 89 in St. Louis.

Southwest Missouri average highs are higher and it is more humid as well than St. Louis due to being in the south.

Old 02-20-2018, 02:32 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,695,670 times
Southwest MO is actually known for being slightly less humid than surrounding areas. Most people wouldn't feel the difference either way.
Springfield is surrounded by reservoirs. Stockton, a favorite of locals, is 30 minutes or less away. Table Rock isn't much further. No offense, but St. Louis isn't nearly as close to anything like that. Reelfoot is way down in Tennessee.
As for Kansas City, it has a bit more in the way of reservoirs nearby and several are in suburban communities. The drive down to southwest Missouri from there on highways 7 and 13 or I-49 is also significantly more pleasant than fighting the crowds and the crazies on I-44.
If fishing is really that big of a consideration, though, I'd stick with southwest MO.

Old 02-20-2018, 05:48 AM

3,825 posts, read 3,280,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
Southwest MO is actually known for being slightly less humid than surrounding areas. Most people wouldn't feel the difference either way.
Springfield is surrounded by reservoirs. Stockton, a favorite of locals, is 30 minutes or less away. Table Rock isn't much further. No offense, but St. Louis isn't nearly as close to anything like that. Reelfoot is way down in Tennessee.
As for Kansas City, it has a bit more in the way of reservoirs nearby and several are in suburban communities. The drive down to southwest Missouri from there on highways 7 and 13 or I-49 is also significantly more pleasant than fighting the crowds and the crazies on I-44.
If fishing is really that big of a consideration, though, I'd stick with southwest MO.
Since when do we call lakes in MO reservoirs lol? Yea I know they're dammed off but nobody calls them that.

Reelfoot isn't that hard of a drive if you go down 55. Even Memphis TN isn't that long of a drive, straight shot.

Old 02-20-2018, 09:17 AM

26,399 posts, read 46,325,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
Since when do we call lakes in MO reservoirs lol? Yea I know they're dammed off but nobody calls them that.

Reelfoot isn't that hard of a drive if you go down 55. Even Memphis TN isn't that long of a drive, straight shot.
Reservoirs are the correct designation.. Dams have a very limited lifespan relatively speaking before they fill with sediment, and are an artificial feature on the landscape.

Old 02-20-2018, 09:24 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,695,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post

In Springfield, a person can fish at a place like Stockton in the evenings after work if they choose, among other, even closer options.
Reelfoot is a weekend trip at best for people in St. Louis. There's also Lake of the Ozarks and Mark Twain for weekend excursions.
Springfield is surrounded by that sort of thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri