Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2009, 03:32 PM

23 posts, read 75,888 times

Advertisements

I'm a nurse & I am interested in getting a civil service job at one of the state hospitals in Missouri. Can anyone give me any information about the state hospitals or the towns they located in; Fulton, Higginsville, Marshall and Farmington. I am looking for a small, friendly community without a big crime problem, or traffic headaches. I would prefer not to be located near any poultry manufacturing plants or plants involved in meat packaging of any kind. I like a lot of trees, scenic beauty, parks, and lakes. I would prefer a more liberal atmosphere as opposed to a staunchly conservative one. I am hoping to find a hospital that is progressive in treatment approaches, clean, and with a good reputation for quality patient care. I would love to hear from anyone, nurses or other staff, who have actually worked at one of the hospitals. Everyone please tell me the good as well as the bad so that I can make an informed decision. All I know about Missouri is that it is absolutely beautiful and I have met several friendly people when I have passed through there. However, I have never been to the towns that these hospitals are located in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 04:25 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,831,224 times
Don't know a lot about Farmington, but it's a nice town from what I've seen. There's lots of shopping and restaurants. I've never lived there, though. I had a family member that lived in Fredericktown for a while.

Old 02-03-2009, 11:48 AM

43 posts, read 161,523 times
Farmington is a great place to live. I worked at the hospital and it is a good place to work. Met lots of nice people. Farmington is not too small and not too large. Close to other towns and close to St. Louis so you can get to the airport. Very nice people.

Old 02-05-2009, 03:22 PM

1 posts, read 3,074 times
Farmington (MARMC) keeps changing owners. Beware...

Old 02-05-2009, 06:42 PM

166 posts, read 490,023 times
I'm familiar with Farmington, and somewhat with Fulton. I can only provide info on the areas, and unfortunately not about the hospitals.

Although there is a fair mix of Democrats and Republicans in the area, the residents and politics lean toward conservatism. About the only place in Missouri to find an actual liberal environment is within/near St. Louis, KC, and Columbia. Regardless though, most rural areas in MO are more conservative than around the Farmington area. There are excellent outdoor recreation opportunities nearby, and it's also only about an hour away from St. Louis.

Fulton is near Columbia, which is a fairly liberal college town. I'm not too sure of Fulton itself, but my previous girlfriend lived there for several years and enjoyed. There are lots of places to enjoy outdoors in the area also. It's kinda between St. Louis and Columbia, with either being around 2 hours away, and very close to Jefferson City (state capital).

It appears the other two towns lie between Columbia and KC, with Higginsville being nearer KC. I know absolutely nothing about them, but they appear to be smaller communities than either Farmington or Fulton.

Hopefully someone can provide you with more detailed advice or the towns and their respective hospitals. Regardless, I'd recommend coming out and checking out the communities (if possible) before relocating. You could easily visit all within a two day period. The one plus that Farmington has over the others in my opinion...it's closer to the Ozarks region, which is great for the outdoor activities/beauty.

Old 02-05-2009, 06:46 PM

166 posts, read 490,023 times
Oh yeah...where are you coming from anyway? And what do you like/dislike about the area? That info may help in determining which areas best suit you.

Old 02-05-2009, 08:46 PM

390 posts, read 952,217 times
Higginsville is a beautiful little town with friendly people. Everybody goes to Crockers Bar in the evening to talk about the day. A very pretty setting for the hospital there but have never seen the inside. Had a very good friend who lived there along with his extended family and I would stay with him until his death. Higginsville is also next to a little town called Lexington that is beautiful and on the river. I wish you luck in your search.

Old 02-06-2009, 06:01 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,695,288 times
I use to work at the state hospital in Marshall...i was in the office. The people at the hospital were nice. However, Marshall is not a place i would want to live in. But that is just my opinion. Granted every place through out the USA has its issues, and its ultimately your choice. Best of luck to you. As someone else has stated..Fulton has alot of opportunities in the surrounding areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri