Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 09:45 AM

914 posts, read 2,205,336 times

Advertisements

I'll have to get out my property tax declaration, but I believe that when you fill out your annual county property tax form it asks only the make, year, and model. The nature of the registration, or even if it is registered at all is not at issue, is it?

Insurance on older cars is a real problem, if the car has value over and above "book". In fact, it becomes pointless to carry more than liability insurance on many older cars as their book value may not exceed the deductible. However, there used to be - and I assume there still are - companies that will insure Historic vehicles at a declared value, and at very reasonable rates since the insurance company knows the liability risks are much reduced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 07:40 PM

978 posts, read 2,053,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrby View Post
I'll have to get out my property tax declaration, but I believe that when you fill out your annual county property tax form it asks only the make, year, and model. The nature of the registration, or even if it is registered at all is not at issue, is it?

Insurance on older cars is a real problem, if the car has value over and above "book". In fact, it becomes pointless to carry more than liability insurance on many older cars as their book value may not exceed the deductible. However, there used to be - and I assume there still are - companies that will insure Historic vehicles at a declared value, and at very reasonable rates since the insurance company knows the liability risks are much reduced.
In NC, you only pay property tax on a vehicle if it is licensed/registered. I'm guessing that doesn't matter in MO. My grandpa told me that the car is worth $500 and he paid about $30 in tax last year on it.

I have another question that you may be able to answer. I just paid my personal property tax on a vehicle I no longer own. I owned it on January 1 and sold it in August, so I expected to pay tax on it. When I receive the tax declaration form in January, will my new vehicle automatically be on there, or will I have to notify the tax collector that I purchased a new vehicle?

I may move elsewhere next year, so it would be nice to pay tax on my old car instead of my new vehicle.

Old 11-23-2017, 11:28 AM

635 posts, read 783,833 times
Default inspection?

Sad that people just don't take care of their vehicle. It is only your life on the line. your family and others on the road. I rarely see any vehicles that are in that bad of a shape.But i don't live in Missouri.

Old 11-24-2017, 12:30 AM

19,718 posts, read 10,114,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapie9969 View Post
Sad that people just don't take care of their vehicle. It is only your life on the line. your family and others on the road. I rarely see any vehicles that are in that bad of a shape.But i don't live in Missouri.
Try driving in Kansas. They have no inspection at all.

Old 12-21-2017, 07:35 PM

635 posts, read 783,833 times
Default Arizona

None here either except emissions testing in certain places. Common sense is lacking with people who don't keep their vehicle in a safe condition. the less gov. in my life , the better.

Old 12-21-2017, 11:52 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,187,543 times
Minnesota had inspections for about 2years then stopped. They decided it wasn't economical. Our cars in Minnesota rust out and die a lot faster than the southern states. All the pretty inspection stations they built were sold off mostly to auto mechanics and quick oil change places. I never could figure out why they had to have their own special buildings. When I lived in Texas inspections were done by mechanic shops and car dealerships. I wonder how much money was wasted on that and whose bright idea it was to start that, probably lined someone's pocket, if there was a story I don't believe was ever talked about, it just quietly went away.

Old 12-22-2017, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
Minnesota had inspections for about 2years then stopped. They decided it wasn't economical. Our cars in Minnesota rust out and die a lot faster than the southern states. All the pretty inspection stations they built were sold off mostly to auto mechanics and quick oil change places. I never could figure out why they had to have their own special buildings. When I lived in Texas inspections were done by mechanic shops and car dealerships. I wonder how much money was wasted on that and whose bright idea it was to start that, probably lined someone's pocket, if there was a story I don't believe was ever talked about, it just quietly went away.
In Missouri, inspections are done in mechanic shops. Some let anything go through, other try to rip off people. Nothing is consistent. You can get turned down at one place and pass at another. In some towns, if you are not a regular customer of a mechanic, they will give you an appointment two or three weeks off. It can make it difficult to get one done.

Old 12-22-2017, 08:26 PM

760 posts, read 768,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karnold View Post
I have a friend who is disabled and she can barely afford food. The safety test said that she needed 800.00 in repairs. There is no way she can afford this but needs her car to go back and forth to the doctor. Any advise on how the working poor or people who live at or below the poverty level do this?
Like anything in life, if you can't afford something you do without, in the old days people rode horses not $20,000 cars, the choice these days is move closer, carpool, take a taxi or use public transportation.
I'm unaware of anything that will fix someones' car, or give them a new one if they can't afford to fix theirs.
Even the court system says you are REQUIRED to show up for jury duty if selected, and the court won't accept any excuses about your car being broken down or you can't afford the gas, somehow people do it and get there.

Old 12-23-2017, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
Like anything in life, if you can't afford something you do without, in the old days people rode horses not $20,000 cars, the choice these days is move closer, carpool, take a taxi or use public transportation.
I'm unaware of anything that will fix someones' car, or give them a new one if they can't afford to fix theirs.
Even the court system says you are REQUIRED to show up for jury duty if selected, and the court won't accept any excuses about your car being broken down or you can't afford the gas, somehow people do it and get there.
Court let me out of jury duty because it was 100 miles away and I couldn't afford to drive back and forth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri