Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 07:24 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,596,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
What a moronic statement. He literally merked almost everyone in front of him and became a champ champ. He beat people that nobody thought he would. I dont know of any fighters in that division that fight at the weight they walk around at either.
I was being facetious. My main point was that he is one dimensional, and to his credit, all of those guys he merked, he broke mentally to the point they wanted to beat him at his own game.

Also, the champ champ argument is flawed. He got a lucky shot against Aldo and everyone knows it, and Alvarez was the easiest match up he could have asked for at 155, then he ran from both belts for 2+ years, 0 defenses...

Now he is at a point where he has to go through the ranks of 155 (unless Dana lets him handpick title fights the rest of his career), so we'll see just how great he is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2018, 09:15 AM

11,198 posts, read 9,075,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
I was being facetious. My main point was that he is one dimensional, and to his credit, all of those guys he merked, he broke mentally to the point they wanted to beat him at his own game.

Also, the champ champ argument is flawed. He got a lucky shot against Aldo and everyone knows it, and Alvarez was the easiest match up he could have asked for at 155, then he ran from both belts for 2+ years, 0 defenses...

Now he is at a point where he has to go through the ranks of 155 (unless Dana lets him handpick title fights the rest of his career), so we'll see just how great he is.
I agree. Connor realizes a lot on his boxing and some kickboxing.

I don't believe he can actually claim to be a real champion. He pretty much won 2 belts and never defended them and was stripped of both belts. He lost to Khabib so he can't claim the belt anymore.

He should fight Max Holloway and see if he can still beat him.

Dana and WME will work with Conor since he is the main cash cow for the UFC. This will definitely change if Conor loses his next fight. His star power will start to decrease. ( a la Anderson Silva)

Old 10-11-2018, 12:08 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,404,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post

champ champ isnt a mute point, stop trying to take it away from him. He wouldve beaten Aldo regardless, Aldo hasnt been the same fighter since USADA ruined his career.

I dont think he goes through the ranks, he said he wants a rematch and Dana will do it. I think well see Diaz 3 first, GSP and that other dude he talked about fighting.

Old 10-11-2018, 12:09 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,404,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
I agree. Connor realizes a lot on his boxing and some kickboxing.

I don't believe he can actually claim to be a real champion. He pretty much won 2 belts and never defended them and was stripped of both belts. He lost to Khabib so he can't claim the belt anymore.

He should fight Max Holloway and see if he can still beat him.

Dana and WME will work with Conor since he is the main cash cow for the UFC. This will definitely change if Conor loses his next fight. His star power will start to decrease. ( a la Anderson Silva)
He absolutely was the champ champ, he wont both belts.

I would LOVE to see Holloway 2.

Old 10-11-2018, 12:28 PM

3,221 posts, read 1,735,868 times
Why are you guys still pushing Aldo? McGregor is just going to beat his ass in a rematch.

Old 10-11-2018, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
He absolutely was the champ champ, he wont both belts.

I would LOVE to see Holloway 2.
Not really. He won 2 belts and then was stripped of both belts. He went up against 1 of the guys who claimed the titled and lost.

He should fight Holloway and see if he can recoup that belt. A fight with Khabib will end the same for him. He can't move up as Tyron would be too big for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhallian View Post
Why are you guys still pushing Aldo? McGregor is just going to beat his ass in a rematch.
Similar to Anderson Silva vs Chris Weidman. The 1st fight everyone considered it a fluke and Silva and Weidman fought again. The rematch sealed the deal for Weidman.

Also, Aldo defended his belt 10 times. He should have received an automatic rematch. A rematch will settle the 1st fight.

Mcgregor will have a fight in his hands in a rematch.

Old 10-11-2018, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
Not really. He won 2 belts and then was stripped of both belts. He went up against 1 of the guys who claimed the titled and lost.

He should fight Holloway and see if he can recoup that belt. A fight with Khabib will end the same for him. He can't move up as Tyron would be too big for him.

Similar to Anderson Silva vs Chris Weidman. The 1st fight everyone considered it a fluke and Silva and Weidman fought again. The rematch sealed the deal for Weidman.

Also, Aldo defended his belt 10 times. He should have received an automatic rematch. A rematch will settle the 1st fight.

Mcgregor will have a fight in his hands in a rematch.
I agree to the extent that Aldo should've gotten the rematch immediately. I just think it's past the time now. It's just not an interesting fight anymore. An immediate rematch would've been interesting, but today's Aldo will in all likelihood lose badly.

McGregor v. Holloway would be great, the last time they fought they were both youngsters.

McGregor v. Diaz would also be fun.

McGregor v. GSP....I don't think that's a smart move for McGregor. Even though GSP is past his prime, he's not thaaat far off and he has a great size advantage.

What about McGregor v. Pettis? I think that could be a great fight. IMO McGregor takes it, but it'll be a challenge and a good opportunity for him to sharpen up before going back to try to take on the big dogs in the division and in the P4P conversation.

Old 10-11-2018, 04:12 PM

Khabib is ride or die for his crew.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/uf...eader-comments

Old 10-11-2018, 06:51 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,567,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
Why would a boxer take roids? What would it do? Roids are better for wrestling.
This is incredibly naive.

Roids add power and stamina, both of which are elements of boxing to some degree. Even if someone stopped taking roids two months before a fight they would have benefited from being able to train that much longer and harder than others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
Anyway, my friend was a D1 college wrestler, so I'd say he was pretty good. He got 5 concussions and lost an eye.
To be honest this sounds like when people are fibbing and start manufacturing more fantastic details when met with skepticism. I'd take any bet that your friend isn't a D1 wrestler, didn't get in a fight in a club, didn't get 5 concussions (wtf hah hah), and didn't lose an eye.

What next, your friend's eyeball popped out and some hot girl slipped on which launched a full beer bottle towards you that you caught and chugged before handing it back then taking her to your place? No I swear dude it really happened!

Old 10-12-2018, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
This is incredibly naive.

Roids add power and stamina, both of which are elements of boxing to some degree. Even if someone stopped taking roids two months before a fight they would have benefited from being able to train that much longer and harder than others.

To be honest this sounds like when people are fibbing and start manufacturing more fantastic details when met with skepticism. I'd take any bet that your friend isn't a D1 wrestler, didn't get in a fight in a club, didn't get 5 concussions (wtf hah hah), and didn't lose an eye.

What next, your friend's eyeball popped out and some hot girl slipped on which launched a full beer bottle towards you that you caught and chugged before handing it back then taking her to your place? No I swear dude it really happened!
Not to mention the implication that Khabib would approach a street fight the same way he approaches a one-on-one match with McGregor. As if the top LW in the world doesn't train stand-up lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)