Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 04:21 PM

35 posts, read 117,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
Yes, but nowhere in WV do you have 10+ feet of snow that starts piling up in November and stays until June. Even last winter when you got all that snow it wasnt FEET worth that accumulated, never melted and every time it snowed it just kept piling up. You might have had a total snowfall of 10 feet but it melted.
That sounds terrible!!!

What do you folks do in the winter months it has got to be hard? I will assume the thrill of skiing and making snowmen wears off pretty fast?

Old 03-15-2012, 04:49 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,633,365 times
We are still loving snowmobiling in March, skiing and springtime snowstorms. I still have a foot of snow in my yard.

Old 04-11-2012, 04:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,832 times
I agree with SimpleMan, it appears that we are unable to stop the ruin of California due to the liberal treatment of our huge population of illegal aliens, the ever increasing laws, the increase of money sapping taxes, and the list goes on. We are currently seeking a place to live in Montana and we will assimilate ourselves into Montanans and fight any "Californization" as well. We admire and respect the state of Montana and it's people and would not want it to change. I was born and raised here in central Cal and remember what a wonderful place this state used to be, but I have grown to hate it. I can understand why Montana does not want people from Cali up there every time I drive to town and see trash and garbage dumped on the side of the road. We are looking for some peace, quiet, and elbow room and hope to find it in Montana. We will miss the weather here but the trade off is worth the harsh winter. We will not come back to California.

Old 04-28-2013, 07:29 PM

1 posts, read 1,554 times
Default Californians moving to Montana

I saw the question asked "why do so many Californians move to Montana?", really enjoyed reading some of the responses! I grew up in Washington, but have lived in CA for a little over 20 years. I live here because my husband lives here, we have a business here, and are now seriously thinking about how and where to retire. I'm not sure if that makes me one of those dreaded Californians or not!

I grew up in those hard winters in Eastern Washington, so I know about them. I don't especially like them, but I know Montanans who don't like them either, so I'm not alone in that. The question is, "Am I willing to live in it, drive in it, etc?" It might be worth it to be close to my son, daughter-in-law and grandchildren, who live near Missoula.

It seems that people in other states think all Californians are Democrats (NOT TRUE), all life here is fast-paced craziness, and we're surrounded by ghettos and criminals, and drive-by shootings are a part of daily life. Not true, either. California is a great state to visit, with mountains, deserts, and the ocean. I say "to visit" because it's also a state with extremely high taxes! Not that it's the highest, I mean the city of Seattle has the highest sales tax rate in the country, I think, at 9.5%!

I hope that if we do decide to relocate to Montana, we won't be shunned just because we moved from Californa, or judged based on what other ex-Californians have done. Maybe if we move there we shouldn't tell anybody we used to live in California? My son says Californians come to Montana and try to change everything. Personally, I wouldn't want Montana to change at all!

Old 04-28-2013, 09:31 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,940,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memorypainter View Post
I saw the question asked "why do so many Californians move to Montana?", really enjoyed reading some of the responses! I grew up in Washington, but have lived in CA for a little over 20 years. I live here because my husband lives here, we have a business here, and are now seriously thinking about how and where to retire. I'm not sure if that makes me one of those dreaded Californians or not!

I grew up in those hard winters in Eastern Washington, so I know about them. I don't especially like them, but I know Montanans who don't like them either, so I'm not alone in that. The question is, "Am I willing to live in it, drive in it, etc?" It might be worth it to be close to my son, daughter-in-law and grandchildren, who live near Missoula.
Yes, as a native Montanan myself, you can include me amongst those of us who loathe Montana winters (here in Western MT, though, we kinda lucked out this year, which brought the mildest winter I can think of at the moment).

I should add that you may really like the Missoula area. Lots--and I do mean lots--of migrants tend to gravitate toward Missoula because it has increasingly become a community of migrants from all over the U.S. (and there's no shortage of California and Washington transplants, believe me).

And even though Missoula is a pretty blue pocket (or as some people might say, "a blue oasis in a very red state") as far as the state's politics go, it isn't exactly Marin County, so there's a plus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by memorypainter View Post
It seems that people in other states think all Californians are Democrats (NOT TRUE), all life here is fast-paced craziness, and we're surrounded by ghettos and criminals, and drive-by shootings are a part of daily life. Not true, either. California is a great state to visit, with mountains, deserts, and the ocean. I say "to visit" because it's also a state with extremely high taxes! Not that it's the highest, I mean the city of Seattle has the highest sales tax rate in the country, I think, at 9.5%!

I hope that if we do decide to relocate to Montana, we won't be shunned just because we moved from Californa, or judged based on what other ex-Californians have done. Maybe if we move there we shouldn't tell anybody we used to live in California? My son says Californians come to Montana and try to change everything. Personally, I wouldn't want Montana to change at all!
I don't at all make the assumption that all Californians are liberal democrats, and that's because I've come to know many who have decided on Montana as their escape-from-California destination. In my experience, they haven't relocated to this state in hopes of turning the whole of Montana into the SF Bay Area, but have, rather, moved here with genuine intentions of integrating--they actually want to reside in a place that isn't California.

Be prepared, however, for the possibility of some anti-California/n banter if you opt to mention your previous location, but really, don't take it too seriously--this more than likely will not be a gesture of hostility, and you guys will be judged on an individual basis, I'm quite sure. Anti-Californian sentiment was very real back in the 90s, most definitely, but I think that this has waned for the simple fact that many of the Left Coast transplants (it isn't just liberal Californians who show up here) don't, from what I can tell, become voting residents; thus, we haven't really suffered politically in the way that other states have (i.e. Nevada and Colorado).

Again, I know lots of Californians around here, and personally, I'm quite glad to have most of them (we need the good ones here if we're going to negate the potential consequences wrought by the bad ones!).

Old 04-28-2013, 11:36 PM

702 posts, read 954,331 times
I don't like all the liberals that are moving to Montana.

These is why:

1) They want to ski and mountain bike in our mountains. Why can't they be normal and use a snowmobile or 4 wheeler to experience the natures? Who would want to leave behind their motor?

2) They want to ride bi-cycles on our streets in the summer. Why can't they be normal and drive an F150?

3) They don't believe in the grand sky-daddy in the sky that watches over us always. What will he do to us if we allow these people to live in our state?

4) They think breathing clean air, and drinking clean water is more importnt than building a new factory or mine. How dumb is that???

5) They welcome people from other countries with OPEN ARMS. So dangerous.

In conclusion, this is our land, not theirs. We've lived here in Montana for thousands upon thousands of years, how dare they come here.

Old 04-29-2013, 06:34 AM

74 posts, read 127,520 times
Well said K. My blood pressure soars when I'm on a two-way hwy, cliffs on one side, 150 ft drop on the other, 70 miles per hour speed limit, in the mountains, no room for anything but a car…and what do I see way up ahead once in a while here in Montana…a cyclist???? This isn't Davis. Why is it that the cyclists excercise programs and training have to involve everyone else and the potential for a motorist to hit the person on the bicycle and have their whole life ruined if that happens (I'm talking about the innocent driver, not the cyclist…the cyclist made the choice…he decided to put the public in peril). By cyclist, I don't mean someone who needs to ride a bike….I'm mean the reacreational-deal with me kind (the I-have-rights-kind). There's alot of rights groups get that are just plain wrong…too many people in California that say…"one little bike in the road doesn't bother me"…well that adds up after awhile. Now groups of 100 bikes are all over the beautiful roads to lakes and fun day trips for families and friends to go for a ride in the car. Now cars can't get through these areas past the bicycles.

Old 04-29-2013, 07:58 AM

Location: A Very Naughtytown In Northwestern Montanifornia U.S.A.
1,088 posts, read 1,947,805 times
Wink Burn em all up. ~☺~ in a big CaliBonFire !

Yea darn all those pesky Californicators bringing all thier money into our state.
I hate that, and don't even get me started on the fact that they don't smell like a horse barn and most of those awful people (if you can really call them people) can actually read and write properly !
We should toss them all in a pile and burn em up. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Oh crikey what am I saying ~~~ I'm starting to remember a repressed memory, ???????

Yes I'm from California. ~♥~ Never-mind the fact that my family has been paying property taxes on Montana land for longer than most of the readers of this website have been alive !

Die thread die !

Old 04-29-2013, 09:22 AM

702 posts, read 954,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonind View Post
Well said K. My blood pressure soars when I'm on a two-way hwy, cliffs on one side, 150 ft drop on the other, 70 miles per hour speed limit, in the mountains, no room for anything but a car…and what do I see way up ahead once in a while here in Montana…a cyclist???? This isn't Davis. Why is it that the cyclists excercise programs and training have to involve everyone else and the potential for a motorist to hit the person on the bicycle and have their whole life ruined if that happens (I'm talking about the innocent driver, not the cyclist…the cyclist made the choice…he decided to put the public in peril). By cyclist, I don't mean someone who needs to ride a bike….I'm mean the reacreational-deal with me kind (the I-have-rights-kind). There's alot of rights groups get that are just plain wrong…too many people in California that say…"one little bike in the road doesn't bother me"…well that adds up after awhile. Now groups of 100 bikes are all over the beautiful roads to lakes and fun day trips for families and friends to go for a ride in the car. Now cars can't get through these areas past the bicycles.
You mean the cyclist made you slow down for a moment??? They're SO entitled. People that enjoy exercise and traveling slowly are not people, they're animals. We should just run them over. Also, we should always drive fast around blind corners because it's fun - not knowing if you're going to kill an animal or cyclist is thrilling.

Also, clearly since cars are bigger they have more rights than bicycles. When I climb into my car, that makes me a big person with metal armor, so that I can push other people around. We live a slow way of life here in Montana, but our roads are meant for traveling 70 mph ONLY.

It's the way our grand sky-daddy in the sky intended!

Last edited by ketch89; 04-29-2013 at 09:33 AM..

Old 04-29-2013, 09:37 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times
I think this thread has about served it's purpose and is no longer gleaning and real information.

Thread closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
View detailed profiles of: