Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 12:10 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,676,883 times

Advertisements

People come and go, relax...

The ones that can hack it without Starbucks make it...

Now I am sure we have had all done something in our past, I would tend to think it was an improvisational urinal....

By all means move to Whitefish, then you can take the train and slum with the rest of us.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2011, 06:28 PM

1,801 posts, read 2,924,625 times
Us newcomers just can't win, we retired to Tasmania 7 years ago, bought a falling down house which we paid over the odds for, we renovated it and live a quiet life growing our own veggie, i joined many of the charity organisations raising money for the local needy but there are always people who will let you know that you probably shouldn't be here yet all our money is spent in the local shops and friends and realatives visit from the mainland and also spend their money in the restaurants and shops, isn't this good for the economy of the state keeps young people in jobs. After what i have read on here its the same in many places throughout the world.

Old 08-02-2011, 07:56 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,169,841 times
Whitefish is over run with Californians, and I've encountered the "snobby" attitude that is up there during the peak seasons...

As for the refrigerator canyon episode.. That is terrible! It's true that I cringe when I see CA plates, as it was the CA influx that destroyed my Colorado and I hate to see that up here, but at the same time, hoodlum attitudes are hardly a fix for the troubles we face.

Old 08-03-2011, 03:41 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,676,883 times
You know when I visited whitefish I saw "Instant town" like someone had poured water on a seed and out the new part popped. The views are outstanding, but again how do you support yourself at the current COL in the area?
But if you look around the edges you still see the Montana that digs in and hangs on and doesn't need the cutie store front.
My experience as a transplant is that you just have to do that, dig in and keep working. You also have to understand that there is a feeling of birthright here. That is just how it is. You do not have the right to be part of the community, not by your works or deeds. It is a different way of life. Family is the connection and if you like us do not have any here it can be harsh and lonely. You just have to understand that and realize that in the moment you need them they will be there for you because there is an underlying basement foundation of decency in Montana. I have been pulled out of the ditch by strangers, have someone show up with a front end loader when we lost part of the driveway.
Not much was said, no money was asked. That is just how it is. Now everyone knows how often I wash my undies but that again is just how it is.
Just some insights to life in Montana.

Old 08-03-2011, 03:40 PM

45 posts, read 81,426 times
Went to Missoula yesterday could not believe the taffic...I think the outsiders are helping to keep this place running buying stuff.Cannot believe that min wage here is $7.35 that is CRAZY !! how can people live ?

Old 08-03-2011, 03:50 PM

1,436 posts, read 3,302,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by basket View Post
Went to Missoula yesterday could not believe the taffic...
Dude.... it tourist season !!! Many in the NW live for it......

Old 08-03-2011, 04:20 PM

8,088 posts, read 15,162,403 times
Ah, tourist season. Already got my limit.

Old 08-03-2011, 06:11 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,169,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt-7 View Post
You know when I visited whitefish I saw "Instant town" like someone had poured water on a seed and out the new part popped. The views are outstanding, but again how do you support yourself at the current COL in the area?
But if you look around the edges you still see the Montana that digs in and hangs on and doesn't need the cutie store front.
My experience as a transplant is that you just have to do that, dig in and keep working. You also have to understand that there is a feeling of birthright here. That is just how it is. You do not have the right to be part of the community, not by your works or deeds. It is a different way of life. Family is the connection and if you like us do not have any here it can be harsh and lonely. You just have to understand that and realize that in the moment you need them they will be there for you because there is an underlying basement foundation of decency in Montana. I have been pulled out of the ditch by strangers, have someone show up with a front end loader when we lost part of the driveway.
Not much was said, no money was asked. That is just how it is. Now everyone knows how often I wash my undies but that again is just how it is.
Just some insights to life in Montana.
Good insight MT-7! I was raised part time in CO and part time in MT and you are exactly right on many of your points. The way I look at it is that good neighbors are good neighbors, and even though I don't like the increase in population and all the regulations and stuff that come with that. It's nice to see that a good 75% of the folks moving here want to be active in their community, and like helping each other out.

We've got our fair share of criminals/drug addicts/people trying to hide from warrants in other states here also, but I'd say for the most part people are pretty genuine.

Last year I moved to Helena from the Bozeman area and the snotty CA attitude is much less prevalent here. People work hard, care about each other, and try to help more than hurt. (At least in my line of work I've noticed that the spirit of cooperation is much, much more noticeable here in Lewis and Clark County than it was in Gallatin.. It seems like in Gallatin, everyone is trying to "get noticed" and people in L&C have more of a "What can I do to help" kind of attitude... It's actually very refreshing.)

If people can live by the golden rule, try to buy their goods and services locally, and make the best of things I think we will be OK.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:47 PM

19,767 posts, read 22,666,896 times
Had a call today from a guy in L.A. that wanted to buy a business and move sight unseen to a location in Montana that I found a little mis-matched to say the least.

This thread actually rolled in my mind as I was speaking to him, especially when he asked "how are the winters there?". I had to bite my lip and say I don't have the long term experience to really be an expert on this, but you may want to spend a winter here before you decide to spend your life savings on your dream. I'm coming from West Virginia to Montana- I have a wholly different perspective on things than you would coming from L.A.

What the hell do you say?

That was the first time that ever happened to me. I mean, I moved here sight unseen, but I lived in the country and cut my share of firewood. He's never seen snow. I don't consider me being out of my element at all. Maybe not acclimated to spending a winter up in the high country, no, but near a town? Yeah- no problem.

Are people that fed up that they are willing to move from completely different lifestyles sight unseen?

You know- at first I had a lot of confusion at this dude's decision. Then a little later I changed and felt a little respect for him. That's a brave soul right there. But sometimes the line between bravery and stupidity is a pretty fine one.

Old 08-04-2011, 05:54 AM

189 posts, read 335,690 times
I grew up in soggy western Washington, and have been living in exile here in PA for almost 20 years. I will be moving to Montana to build my dream without having gone through a Montana winter. But then, my ancestors come from a place called Lofoten, so I'm not too worried.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana