Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 09:56 AM

64 posts, read 171,453 times

Advertisements

Meaning some tall buildings like 5 or 6 floors or higher not a downtown that is 1 block long.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2011, 10:19 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,045,610 times
Montana towns have great downtown area's. Of course, most towns are small that if they were to make buildings more then a couple of floors, the downtown area would be less then a block.

The larger cities do have downtown areas with office buildings more then a couple buildings.

But I fail to see how having 5 or 6 stories makes it a "good" downtown. Montana is sparsly populated and has no need to build going up. Why on earth would they want to?

Old 10-09-2011, 03:11 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,168,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasket View Post
Meaning some tall buildings like 5 or 6 floors or higher not a downtown that is 1 block long.

Thanks!
We have lots of "real" Downtown areas... But I guess that is a matter of what kind of downtown you are looking for.

If you are looking for a Seattle, Chicago or Portland, then the answer is no.

If you are looking for something more like a Redmond or St. Charles, then the answer is kind of.

As for me I really like Helena, Lewistown, Livingston, Stanford, Polson, Libby and many others.. But again my idea of a "real" downtown may be different than yours.

Old 10-09-2011, 03:33 PM

38 posts, read 78,624 times
I am looking forward to the downtown Montana has instead of the down we have in Houston.

Old 10-09-2011, 03:47 PM

1,191 posts, read 3,001,759 times
Taller doesn't make anything more "real".

Old 10-09-2011, 06:07 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,521,998 times
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...lings_Pano.JPG

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...MT_cropped.jpg

First Interstate Center, 22 floors..... tallest building between Spokane and Minneapolis, between Denver and Calgary.

Crowne Plaza, second tallest building almost as tall and held the prior distinction mentioned above until the First Interstate Center was built. Tallest load bearing brick building in the world.

About dozen other buildings in Billings that are in the range of ten stories tall.

Old 10-09-2011, 07:41 PM

213 posts, read 696,763 times
One of the things I love about Montana is that most of the towns of any size have what I would consider a "real" downtown. To me, a real downtown is one with older buildings lining a mainstreet, where it's easy to get out and walk from business to business - which consist of everything from shops and cafes to your insurance agent and plummer, and doctor (often with apartments or other offices above) and maybe even a department store or two if the town is big enough to support it.

This contrasts to some areas in other states I've visited that consist of rows of business complexes and strip malls. In my mind, that is not a real downtown, no matter how tall the buildings are.

Billings, Bozeman, Helena, Great Falls, Missoula, Kalispell and Butte all have downtowns like you described. I could name several dozen other small towns off the top of my head that also have very real downtowns on a smaller scale.

Old 10-09-2011, 08:28 PM

1,552 posts, read 6,473,562 times
Butte comes to my mind as well It really fits the bill

Old 10-10-2011, 06:02 PM

126 posts, read 381,646 times

Old 10-10-2011, 06:21 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,181,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomThroughAnarchism View Post
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...lings_Pano.JPG

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...MT_cropped.jpg

First Interstate Center, 22 floors..... tallest building between Spokane and Minneapolis, between Denver and Calgary.

Crowne Plaza, second tallest building almost as tall and held the prior distinction mentioned above until the First Interstate Center was built. Tallest load bearing brick building in the world.

About dozen other buildings in Billings that are in the range of ten stories tall.
How do you get people up to the top of those buildings? Are there elevators in Montana?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana