Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 09:21 AM

43 posts, read 100,999 times

Advertisements

just curious after reading many of these threads what is with people in California moving to Montana.........Do they stay through the winter?? to me California and Montana are way different from each other the fast passed crazy life of Cali to a slow peaceful life in Montana. Also i don't know what the county funding is like for those who need help in montana but do you find out of state people moving there not finding a job and living off the county??

There is a guy my boyfriend works with that came up there for work and he moved in with him in February and said that he didn't understand why they would have to stop working if it snowed and made a comment about even if it snows you can still see the road.....haha really??? lets just say his third day in montana they got a couple feet of snow and terrible winds and he ended up in the ditch......

Old 04-25-2011, 09:36 AM

14 posts, read 32,597 times
lol, yeah I'm not too sure as to why they move up here so much but only about 20% stay after a real winter in my neck of the woods. most buy or build a fancy cabin up on the mountain and cant drive down for 4+ months unless they have a snow cat, so they are stuck for the winter we usually make bets about how many will leave when the roads clear.

second question... yes, sadly. most keep job hunting till all there savings is gone, they either get smart and move to greener pastures or end up living side job to side job with government assistance.

Old 04-25-2011, 09:42 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,045,610 times
To add to what was already said. Sadly, some move up, build, spend one winter and then leave. But they keep the home that took up agricultural property as a summer home. So they've wasted good space for a home that will be used for 2 weeks every summer to impress friends and relatives.

Old 04-25-2011, 01:48 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,378,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracymn View Post
just curious after reading many of these threads what is with people in California moving to Montana.........Do they stay through the winter?? ......
Perhaps most people moving believe that the warmth of Montana freedom will sustain them. California has blinding blizzards of regulation, snowdrifts of dying entitlements, freezing cold realities of unemployment and iced over home equity, with no vision of ending the fiscal storms and winter of our discontent.

The torture of Winter can be more mental than physical. Some people make uninformed choices, albeit for admirable goals.

Old 04-25-2011, 03:09 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,641,589 times
I've talked to a lot of my West Virginia friends, and they'd all sure like to move out here if it wasn't for family.. Not a damned one of them would be scared of a winter here..

Most folks I know live pretty rugged lives, do for themselves, and don't make dumb mistakes (like buying a trailer in a holler along a stream..)

My buddy has a log cabin all by his lonesome (with his wife of course) 7 miles or so back and up a hill.. All dirt and gravel. Over an hour to the closest 'town'. Last winter he had over 10 feet of snow. No biggie- he has a used dozer!

I think it would be funny to have an invasion of West Virginians out here.. "Oh sh*t! Here come the hillbilly's!"

Old 04-25-2011, 04:19 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,045,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
I think it would be funny to have an invasion of West Virginians out here.. "Oh sh*t! Here come the hillbilly's!"
Not funny. Don't even think that. hahaha

Old 04-25-2011, 06:42 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,387,108 times
As a California who has considered retiring to Montana (and then decided against it), maybe I can answer that question.

Californians are sick of the illegals, sick of the hideously high taxes, sick of the traffic and the congestion. Montana offers none of this. Montana appears to be a panacea, with lots of wide open spaces and a return to the old time values.

However, Californians have no conception of the Montana winters or the fact that housing prices in the most desirable areas are actually as high or higher than CA.

I love Montana and love to vacation there. But I'm smart enough to know I can't fit in there and the winters are just too darn long, bleak and cold. Many Californians wishing to retire there don't bother to spend time in Montana and especially don't go near there in the winter. They retire then, and end up returning to sunny CA after one winter!

Old 04-25-2011, 09:48 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,641,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Not funny. Don't even think that. hahaha
Now c'mon.. We'uns good people. You'd be considered uppity, what with owning horses and all that.. We walk barefoot in the hollers to git where we's going.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:09 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,120,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
............. They retire then, and end up returning to sunny CA after one winter!
/.

Could a real true Montanan "ask for anything more"

Old 04-27-2011, 08:28 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,928,406 times
I've never understood the attraction to the state by Californians. Often they wouldn't stay in our school past Christmas so we didn't befriend any from California until after Christmas break when it looked like they would stay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
View detailed profiles of: