Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Montana: immigration, retirement, illegal immigrants, real estate, employment.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 09:45 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,069,265 times

Advertisements

Last time I checked My county was still part on Montana (Sanders), and Illegal Hispanic workers are definitely coming to our valley to pick rock for ten bucks per hour. They have been showing up for the last two summers now. They also have been working in agriculture in Horse Plains area for several years now. I don't need to see a green card or or the lack of a green card to recognize an undocumented worker. I have talked to a few of them, my best friend is a boarder Patrol agent and we both grew up in San Diego. You can tell the illegals at a glance or with a few words right away. It's the dialect and the clothing that gives them away. A lot of Boarder agents in the south west call Illegals "Tonks".
It's kind of a joke name because that's the sound your flashlight makes when you hit them on the head !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2008, 11:07 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
We're seeing more and more in the Flathead as well, mostly in construction but some in food service as well, and definately during cherry season.

Old 01-09-2008, 12:39 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,380,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckingbronco View Post
Good thing I still have that bomb shelter from Y2K...

You are such a youngster. I still have mine from the "duck and cover" days.
(My shelter probably has cans of Deviled ham older than you are.).

Old 01-09-2008, 01:27 PM

1,436 posts, read 3,302,945 times
Tonk..........hahahahahaha. best laugh I had all day, and I needed one too.

Old 01-09-2008, 02:11 PM

495 posts, read 493,145 times
8 Snake - I think the illegal problem in other states is just another, not the sole supporting factor that has people moving to montana, retirees included....in some cases it just gives them one more reason to get-outta' where they are. They see their house worth 800k, they're retired and the town just don't look that same anymore nor do the faces, and it "Martha it's time to go".
And yes, I think alot of people on this board just wish, hope and talk about coming to Montana, it's the books the movies, the 'last best place' mentality pervaying the country these days. But I think a serious lack of decent jobs is the prime factor why everday working class people, family types in particular don't come here, it's just not parctical for them to do so, and a bit dangerous financially speaking.

About the illegal that folks have mention that are popping up in the flathead, etc.....does any one of locality get concerned or say anything....can we get someone to blow a whistle, drop a dime. OR have we all turned into a bunch of feel good whimps and money hungry cherry growers, willing to but up with lawlessness when it suits our own purposes.
Remember they're your jobs, they're american jobs, nothing is more important to a person than their livelyhood, why give them away to foreigners who stole into your country rather than your own children, further more why allow the wages for those jobs to be driven and kept down by illegal people who have no allegance at all to your country - our sons die and died fighting to protect this country not the mexican's. Of course we can't find people to do them - the illegals drive the wage down to nothing, while to them it's 10 times what they make in mexico - not bad, I'd call that greed on their part, and disrupting our economy on the other. Those wages would otherwise naturally rise enough to attract workers - our workers, with a decent wage. Will we pay more for cherries in the store ? Yup ! but isn't that what a market place is all about ? if people do hard work they should get paid accordingly and if that is what cherries cost that's what cheeries will cost if you want them.
Remember an illegal is making what amounts to him in his home country (where more than likely he is sending the money) 10 times what he makes there, so at $10 an hour to pick rocks, that $100 an hour, I'd be sneaking, and you would too, into Canada to make $100 bucks an hour, and screw the Canadians if I drive down their wages.....so I really don't buy into all that - "ah they are just trying to make a living" nope I'd be a low life, greedy and a crook if I did that in the form of me sneaking into Canada.
Add to all that, that the illeagals have more rights than you do - they have to right to simply go back to mexico or change their name and idenity anytime they do anything wrong or break the law, kill someone and you'll be hunted down, an illegal kills someone - no problem just go back home to mexico. So they really don't havn't the same incentives as you or I to obey the laws of our land and I'm sure they don't. I'll bet not a one has auto insurance, so it's your tough luck when they hit you, which I'm sure happens 100s of times everyday in this country. There is just an endless number of reasons to get rid of them.........It's probably why we have laws in place now to supposedly prevent such things, our government or lack of it just chooses for it's own self purposes to ignore those laws - they should of empeached Clinton on that or Bush now, if those clowns really were concerned about "getting" the other party, they're all the same, all on the same team, It's not Dem verses Rep, it's us verses them and the illegals.

It's all like a sick futuristic nightmare movie, where your country is getting invaded by MILLIONS, say that again MILLIONS, of people from foreign countries. It would almost be to much to beleive save the fact that IT's TRUE.

How sad what a sorry country we've turned into. No wonder the rest of the world sneers in disrespect at us, we don't even have the backbone of our own convictions. And in our arrogance we have the audacity to tell them how they should be running their country and how they aren't free like us.

If you show up at the poles and vote any Dem or Rep you only have yourself to blame.

Last edited by JoeJoeMan; 01-09-2008 at 02:21 PM..

Old 01-09-2008, 03:56 PM

1,921 posts, read 6,428,924 times
Joe,
You've made some good points that I agree with. I have a question about the local (Montana) residents not saying much about illegal labor. From reading this forum, I get the opinion that most Montanans are happy to keep to themselves and live an independent lifestyle. Do you think that might contribute to any silence about illegal labor (if that is occuring - I don't know)?

Old 01-09-2008, 07:51 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
Actually to most everyones credit they've busted many here but the problem is the state takes little to no action against the employer. I'd like to see a real hefty fine the first time, and for any further infractions loss of right to run a business in this state and a little jail time.

Old 01-09-2008, 08:29 PM

BRAVO Joe.......... couldn't have said it better myself.

Anyone in this country caught paying illegals for anything whatsoever should be fined by county government $10K per infraction per day. And that fine should go directly to a new county managed unemployment fund account for individuals in that county. AND the county should have the ability to seize any and all assets of the person/entity to collect the fine. EVERYONE would think twice about paying an illegal for anything.

Sounds like a plan, lets put it in motion

Old 01-09-2008, 11:26 PM

495 posts, read 493,145 times
Myself, probably like most people don't really know to what extent the problem currently exist in montana, but yes jimj I have heard/read about a couple of bust.
A couple good stiff fines and the names of the employers plaster across the front page of the state newspaper would probably put and end to the problem in a big way real fast.
You would thing that any presidencial candidate that stood up and said "NO MORE ILLEGAL" would be a shoe-in but none of them will do it, which should tell you something.
Correct me if I'm mistaken but didn't Ron Paul say he was against illegals ? But sorry to say I think he is just their 'usefull idiot', purposely painted as a wacko, with no chance of winning and ment only to passify people like us and 'bring us in' to the party, and make us think we have a 'voice in the party' so well go out and vote for the party's winning candidate - sorry seen that game before. I can't beleive people fall for that stuff.

Old 01-10-2008, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJoeMan View Post
ment only to passify people like us and 'bring us in' to the party, and make us think we have a 'voice in the party' so well go out and vote for the party's winning candidate - sorry seen that game before. I can't beleive people fall for that stuff.
Even knowing the circumstances people get fooled every 4 years like clockwork. Our Government depends on it ! One hell of a magic trick if you ask me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana