Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 08:06 AM

1,219 posts, read 3,169,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewLtDad View Post
Dear Mr. Timberwolf,

Evidently you must be downwind from something you are not fond of. The person typing this message is originally from central Florida, where we played some smash-mouth football, and lived in two other Southern states for a total of 55 years. I will challenge your assumption, and buy you a beer if we meet. I understand from what I have been reading about a bit of attitude of locals in you wonderful area with respect to what Southerners call "carpetbaggers". Look it up and you will see that prob is an accurate description of the attitude of locals to persons coming in to either take advantage or take over.
I have had enough drama battling city hall for my clients, and have even spent a year and a half apprending fugitives (some quietly, some not) and am looking for some peace. Who knows, maybe I could become an asset, a friend, and with my experience, maybe solve a problem or two.
SoCal is nice, and the women are like things you see in a museum; you cant touch it, it is pretty to look at, and you cannot take it home.
Lorelei, anything you can tell about the area would help. Maybe we can meet up with Timberwolf and see if he has something stuck to the bottom of his boot. That must be what he is smelling.
Heh heh... That's what the smell is!

Yup, what's been happening is very similar to what the southerners call carpetbaggers. I think it will slow up with this economy in the state it is in, at least for a time. (a burdon for some, a relief for others.)

It's gone on and on in other threads.. Sorry if my post offended, but in the Bozeman area it seems like 2/3's of the influx (40% population increase in the last 10 years) is from SoCal, and the town's feel has gone downhill in my opinion...

Good luck in your endeavor.

-TW-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 10:57 AM

33 posts, read 97,435 times
That is great information. It looks to me like they got the place about 6 years ago. People have to have a reason to go somewhere, and you either have to be familiar with who goes there, or draw another group there. The building, while "old, maybe quiant" might be falling down due to age. It happens to all of us. I hate to see someone struggle. If we take a chance at things, we might struggle from time to time. I assume the owners live upstairs? is all of upstairs unoccupied? does it have potential?

Old 11-20-2008, 11:03 AM

So, tw, you have people coming in and trying to make changes when locals are comfortable the way things are? criticizing the locals way of doing things? disturbing the comfort zone? Well, that is not the way to treat people. I have travelled all over, and people need to learn things from every place they go. The bar/restaurant is interesting, and towns need a place they can meet their friends, throw back a few, and relax. gets a person out of the house. lets them share a ball game together. so, tw, you know much about this place, Borden's?

Old 11-21-2008, 07:21 AM

1,219 posts, read 3,169,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewLtDad View Post
So, tw, you have people coming in and trying to make changes when locals are comfortable the way things are? criticizing the locals way of doing things? disturbing the comfort zone? Well, that is not the way to treat people. I have travelled all over, and people need to learn things from every place they go. The bar/restaurant is interesting, and towns need a place they can meet their friends, throw back a few, and relax. gets a person out of the house. lets them share a ball game together. so, tw, you know much about this place, Borden's?
We do get a lot of people looking to "modernize" Montana. Ironic that people move here and buy up property to "get away" from it all, and end up bringing whatever it is they run from here. Not that Montana has no problems, we have our share of drunks, druggies, criminals etc... It just doesn't seem as bad because we don't have the population that other areas do.

As for how I get my perception, I've seen the same changes in CO, and hope that it doesn't get as bad here in MT.

I've traveled a bit in my day also.. I was born in western CO and raised between CO, MT, and a couple years in IL. (long story) When I was in the service I saw more of the country and a tiny slice of the world. I just ended up where home was.

I don't know Bordens, but I've seen a lot of friendly places change over the years. Some good, some sad. I don't go to the bars much anymore, so to me it seems like things change faster, as you don't always see the same friendly faces like in the old days.

Sounds like you'll do just fine in your endeavors, and from your post, you seem pretty well rounded. Next time I'm through Whitehall, I'll be sure to stop at Bordens, just to check it out.

Old 11-22-2008, 01:25 AM

Yep, I did not grow up on Sunnybrook farm. Spent 2 years of high school at orphanange farm and did my fare share of nut cutting(pigs and bulls. oh, i almost said cows, but i did not want to leave you guys an opening), smelly ass hog house cleaning, chicken house cleaning, fence post putting up, silage feeding, tractor plowing, etc. I know exactly what you are saying about those outside the area bringing their toubles with them. The area i finished high school was 30 miles north of Memphis, and there was zero to do. so i know what these kids are up to; small towns, bored, do some drinking, smokin, etc. and the young ones think we are all stupid. that is so funny.
It sure does not sound like a place where men would move to find women.

Old 12-14-2008, 03:23 PM

13 posts, read 50,604 times
Default Not a good idea

I personally wouldn't risk it...unless you can afford losing every dime. Whitehall, like many small SW Montana towns are struggling to make it along with the people in it. I personally believe that of all the places you could buy a bar and do well, Whitehall would be at the bottom. With Butte just a half hour in one direction and Bozeman an hour the other...Whitehall isn't exactly a good stopping place. Also, the majority of Whitehall is influenced by radical christianism that brews it's own beer (no kidding) or seniors that don't drink. There are many drunks....but they won't keep your business regular. Whitehall has a few nice houses and the surrounding areas are breathtaking...but you'd be foolish to invest there and expect a return.

Old 01-01-2009, 04:34 AM

1 posts, read 2,306 times
Hey NewLtDad; Looking at the demographics I'd sum this business up like this: The population is half what is required to make a go of a decent eatery. The population is on the rise and the median income is fairly decent meaning that folk have disposable income and the means to travel to the "right" spot. The bar function with gambeling "might" provide sufficient revenue to make the thing work with a low overhead. With some "twenty" rooms and proper management conversion to a hunting lodge linked up with one or two competent outfitters might make a decent seasonal proposition. I see a ton of potential for the right buyer. The right buyer is the person with sufficient investment "resources" to purchase outright and eat a loss for five years looking forward to "long range" significant returns on investment.
Paws
BBA, BA-Economics, BA-Mgt, MA-HRM
[url=http://www.ohiocampcooks.org]Welcome to Ohio Camp Cooks![/url]

Old 01-01-2009, 05:00 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,676,883 times
Yep a good business plan involves lots of capital to eat the loss for a good long time. You are right on that.

Old 01-01-2009, 12:15 PM

406 posts, read 1,360,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorelei2873 View Post

I think 1000 really does not accurately represent your potential customer base and also that cenus data you're quoting is 9 years old and that county has grown a lot in the last decade.
this is exactly true. the whole of west montana can be considered a tourist destination, and many businesses open and close with the seasons. i always stop at whitehall, although i never drink, we do stop at the small cafe's and the bookstore in town on our way to red rocks. i think whitehall has seen tremendous growth in the past few years. do a land search and see the amount of land and homes for sale in the area. the prices, which are moderately priced, and proximity to major population centers of montana has made this a plce for buyers. good luck.

Old 03-11-2009, 10:57 PM

1 posts, read 2,299 times
Default Are you still looking at Bordens in Whitehall?

I am from Whitehall. Used to have a ranch on the east side of town. Still have property in the Cedar Hills area west of town. We always liked to go to Bordens for lunches and Sunday brunch. There are not very many family friendly restaurants in town. It might be a very viable possiblity...if the menu was right and the food was good. I know a number of visitors would take the Whitehall exit to drive the "back road" to Yellowstone. The road thru Whitehall, Cardwell, Norris, Ennis is a beautiful drive.
It is a very old building, yes...full of Montana character. There used to be a gigantic ornate bar in it. Don't know if it is still there or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana