Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 04:51 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,678,174 times

Advertisements

Thank god, I had to keep checking because I thought I was back on an West Coast thread.Adams says to expect decision 'within days' – OregonLive.com

BTW this is why I live in Montana.

Old 01-23-2009, 06:11 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,678,174 times
People before animals. I have seen kids in ER with horrendous life-scaring dog bites. Right up there with irresponsible dog owners are irresponsible parents.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:29 AM

355 posts, read 1,146,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
What still floors me is even until the end these new posters still didn't get or wouldn't admit that the bill wouldn't "kill their dog" if it was passed. Gotta love the spin machine...
Scares me that the spin machine is capable of working so well. Don't know if more credit should go to the machine or the enablers.

Old 01-23-2009, 12:00 PM

989 posts, read 3,526,814 times
I just received an email back from congresswoman Robyn Driscoll. She received several death threats, and some other actions that made her question her safety. She said in her email to me, "I have never felt so alone or fearful in my life." WOW!

If these people who have threatened her, and the posters we have seen on this forum are examples of pitbull owners then I have some serious problems with these people and their tactics. Sounds to me like they are a bunch of bullies.

Old 01-23-2009, 12:23 PM

355 posts, read 1,146,853 times
People that call a congresswoman on the phone and issue death threats I don't think rise to the name of 'bully'.

I believe most of us here could think of a couple better, more descriptive terms.

I think somewhere in the thread there was mention of the dogs being only a part of the equation. Guess this incident would look like at least partial verification of that.

Old 01-23-2009, 12:32 PM

102 posts, read 271,864 times
That is extraordinary in many ways, the death threats I mean. We as a people have sunk to new lows when such trivial issues cannot be discussed w/o such dreadful reactions.

This really is no country for old men.

Old 01-23-2009, 02:06 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AQHA View Post
I just received an email back from congresswoman Robyn Driscoll. She received several death threats, and some other actions that made her question her safety. She said in her email to me, "I have never felt so alone or fearful in my life." WOW!

If these people who have threatened her, and the posters we have seen on this forum are examples of pitbull owners then I have some serious problems with these people and their tactics. Sounds to me like they are a bunch of bullies.
So the question begs to be asked, what is more dangerous the pit or the owner? Maybe she should change the bill to include the owners as well? How about keep the dogs since they can be controlled and banish the owners?

Old 01-23-2009, 02:37 PM

989 posts, read 3,526,814 times
It just blows me away that people would act this way. The sad thing is it worked for them, she was so upset about this she is probably not going to try it again. Here she is doing something she thinks is good for the community and she gets death threats from people who are claiming to be responsible dog owners of non aggressive dogs. I hate to be cynical but I think we've learned a lot about the people who own these dogs.

Old 01-23-2009, 03:11 PM

4 posts, read 14,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
What still floors me is even until the end these new posters still didn't get or wouldn't admit that the bill wouldn't "kill their dog" if it was passed. Gotta love the spin machine...
I started this post, and the bill would have killed my dog. Why? Well being my own fault, cause I didn't register him. But as said earlier, why should I have to register my dog? What happened to a free country.. now I gotta let the state know what kind of pets I want to own in my own home?

And as for what AQHA said about the death threat emails... I agree completely that it should never have gone that far and no one should have sent emails like that. But now you say "I hate to be cynical but I think we've learned a lot about the people who own these dogs." Now you're doing the same thing the bill is... stereotyping the owners based on a few bad ones.

Old 01-23-2009, 03:18 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,380,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AQHA View Post
It just blows me away that people would act this way. The sad thing is it worked for them, she was so upset about this she is probably not going to try it again. Here she is doing something she thinks is good for the community and she gets death threats from people who are claiming to be responsible dog owners of non aggressive dogs. I hate to be cynical but I think we've learned a lot about the people who own these dogs.
Unfortunately, I think you are right, and your "cynicism" is better described as "depressing realism". On this thread I attempted to offer a cogent argument against government intervention as a solution to a very real problem. Without trying to rate each breed by relative aggressiveness, I was hoping Montanans wouldn't delegate their freedom (coupled with the responsibility for training & supervising) to own a dog.

When people abandon logical argument in favor of intimidation and threats we are further diminished as a group. The immature actions you describe are suggestive of the power of environment vs heredity, i.e. bad dogs are probably the result of bad owners. People who stoop to anonymous death threats would probably be capable of beating the love out of a Golden Retriever, and turning it into an attack dog. I feel sorry for all dogs (even pitbulls) that have to endure such abuse. I no longer have the emotional energy to contribute to this thread. Good luck in improving dog safety without sacrificing Montanan independence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana