Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 03:16 PM

356 posts, read 1,129,311 times

Advertisements

This is Want-to- move ... I have a problem with my internet at home and had to pick a new name to get back on the forum from work...

Thanks to everyone for all the helpful information regarding schools, neighborhoods, and the nursing field in Helena. I am really enjoying reading what all the locals have to write and I know in my gut that we have made the right decision to move to Helena. Only 18 more weeks!!!!!

We have been focusing on nursing for my husband and now I am starting to do searches on jobs for myself. I have been in the non-profit sector working with people with HIV for almost 10 years - program management and data mangement. I also worked for the HIV/AIDS/STD section for the state of TN as a program director. Does anyone know about local non-profits in Helena? I work with a guy now who helped start Samaritan's AIDS outreach in Great Falls but he wasn't sure about Helena.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2007, 10:18 PM

373 posts, read 1,853,125 times
I don't know of anything specifically aimed at HIV issues. Sorry! The closest thing I can think of is Planned Parenthood periodically hires for health educators. Perhaps you could check with Intermountain Planned Parenthood in Billings and see if they could refer you to any statewide HIV programs. ??? A long shot here.

Old 04-20-2007, 02:01 PM

356 posts, read 1,129,311 times
Things are clipping along at a faster pace than I originally anticipated and my husband has the prospect of a job offer that has us both floored (he is 1 of 3 final candidates). I have commitments where I presently work but he may need to head out to Helena within the next 6 weeks. We are thinking he may need to stay in an extended stay type hotel for a short while (with a kitchenette). He would like to be within walking distance of the hospital if possible. Any suggestions?

Old 04-20-2007, 02:18 PM

189 posts, read 799,675 times
There are a couple motels sort of near St. Pete's (Red Lion Colonial, GuestHouse International Inn & Suites, Days Inn) at the Fee / 11th intersection, but I'm not sure on whether or not they have kitchenettes. Most probably at least have rooms with microwaves and mini-fridges that could get him by. It's about a 7-8 block walk to St. Pete's, but not too bad if he doesn't have a car to use. There's an Albertson's right by the motels there, so he could walk to get groceries if need be.

Old 04-24-2007, 07:49 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,888,220 times
Another person considering Helena for a relocation. We've never been to Montana, but I grew up in Colorado (first relo choice but it seems it's everyones in hte govt!) and miss the mountain views and skiing. My hubby is a big hunter and hiker etc... and has been dreaming of MT or Alaska (I said no to Alaska!!) And after 2years in the DC area we are ready to slow down a bit and enjoy life again!

My biggest concern is schools I have 3 daughters currently in 1st, 4th and 7th grade. Having lived in PA and VA with some of the best public schools around I really want to make sure this is a positive move for them. (of course being 13 and moving isn't going to be easy for the eldest) I am a stay at home mom and have missed all the parent involvement here in VA as opposed to PA (more stay at home moms).

Another concern is the Meth problem in Montana I've been hearing and reading about...frankly I was shocked!! Montana!! sad. So is it a big problem in Helena? I would really like this to be the last move for my eldest until HS is over. But if the HS are having issues with this then maybe this move should wait until the kids are grown??

Please help, any input would be helpful. I have to give the OK to put in for the job by tomorow.

Old 04-24-2007, 11:04 AM

The meth problem is more of a national epidemic and isn't just in MT. It's probably as bad in CO & PA as it is here. MT does have a very public anti-meth campaign, so that might make it appear the problem is worse here than other places. Overall, I wouldn't worry about it.

The schools here are decent as far as public schools go and if you're involved with your children and what they're learning, they should be ok.

If you're ready to get back to the mountains, fresh air and a simpler way of life, then Helena is the place for you!!!

Old 04-24-2007, 12:04 PM

373 posts, read 1,853,125 times
Before the Montana Meth Project campaign, Montana was said to have the second highest percentage of teens in the US who had tried meth. It is a problem, but it's an opportunity to talk with your kids. I really get a gut feeling that it's trending downward though. It's not like there's going to be drug dealers standing on the corners. However, the chances are pretty high that someone in a child's high school class will have access to meth. So, it is available. But, I wouldn't let it scare you off...instead, just don't underestimate the need to talk to your kids about it.

Old 04-24-2007, 12:50 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,888,220 times
Thanks,
and yes I am aware that meth and drugs are EVERYWHERE but...as Lorelei said MT had the 2nd HIGHEST rate of teen meth use in the US. In PA it was a problem but more with the 20 somethings not HS teens. SW PA did have a problem with heroin in the HS but they too are using a big awarness campaign to fight it. No place is immune and I think MT is headed in the right direction... scare tactics and shock value is what works with teens. Here it's anorexia with the girls 12-14 and the schools are using a very straight forward aproach with the kids.

so.... other questions.

we would like a 4bed/3ba with basement on at least an acre...but looking not to spend over 400k (we are taking a big hit on our house here in VA) is this doable? My hubby would actually like more like 10 acres with hunting! But I'd settle for 1-2. Would buying a lot and building be an option? if so who are some good builders in the area?

As for the kids... I have a very active junior usta tennis player and haven't been able to find much on youth tennis in Helena? Are there HS teams? Indoor courts? It would just be devestating to move her and not have tennis avail.

middle one is a soccer player, I am sure there are youth soccer leagues but again I am having trouble finding it? Parks and Recs?

Thanks again for all the help. Right now we have job prospects in CO, NM, and MT should be posting soon. I am the family researcher and this site has made that job sooo much easier...thanks again!

Old 04-24-2007, 01:17 PM

989 posts, read 3,526,527 times
Tennis is not that big here but Im sure you can find some of it. I would guess the HS would have a team or maybe a club. Soccer for the kids is all over the place, that wont be a problem.

$400k for a house? You should be able to get a very very nice place for that. My place is a nice house with some good acrage-- its value is about that I would guess. There are some new subdivision going in around town, I think a nice building lot would be priced around $40k to $50k.

Old 04-24-2007, 03:25 PM

There was a HS tennis tourney here last weekend and the Helena & Capital High teams are usually both very good. See the article below:

http://www.helenair.com/articles/2007/04/21/sports_top/b01042107_01.txt (broken link)

There is an indoor tennis club near the airport as well, so finding facilities shouldn't be a problem either.

Soccer is very big locally as well, so finding a league for your middle child should be easy too. The two HS teams usually compete for State titles each year as well.

http://www.vigilantesoccer.com/

On the housing front, start by browsing Realtor.com to get a feel for the types of property you have in mind. Like AQUA said, $400K should get you a pretty decent place here and values are still going up unlike a lot of other parts of the country.

http://www.realtor.com/helena/nbregion.asp?st=mt&poe=realtor (broken link)

Feel free to shoot us more questions as they come to mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana