Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 08:39 AM

356 posts, read 1,129,052 times

Advertisements

I am moving to MT with my husband and child in August. My husband is originally from Billings and for a time went to school in Bozeman, so we arn't jumping into this completely blind. We have pretty much enjoyed everywhere we have lived - ranging from Flagstaff to Asheville to Nashville. It is time to settle down and when we started looking at houses in the area that we now live I realized that my Montana boy wants to go home and I am ready to make the move. He is an RN, so I have confidence he will be able to secure a job before we get there. We looked at Missoula, Kalispel, Bozeman, and Helena, and decided Helena. He visited the area back in the 80's on high school soccer trips but knows less about Helena than other places. We are looking for information on neighborhoods (we plan to rent for a year before buying) and public schools. I know there are links for schools but I would really like to know from those with experience which schools have high parent involvement. Also, any information about Helena from a MT natives perspective would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2007, 01:36 PM

373 posts, read 1,852,749 times
Hi, I'm a Helena person.

I don't have much info on elementary schools, but my experience is that Capital High School is generally thought of as the nicer high school with more well-off families. Helena High is old-school, right in the middle of town and draws folks from Helena and areas east and south. Helena High is kind of the local favorite for many old-timers. In terms of elementary schools, I know there have been some overcrowding and funding issues in East Helena. I've heard good things about Montana City school and Clancy school in terms of parental involvement. Townsend (about 30 miles away) is a great option if you want a smaller town with a good school and tons of parental involvement. Houses are also a lot cheaper down there.

Montana City and Clancy area are probably the best neighborhoods out of town, but they are also pretty spendy. East Helena and the North Valley are least expensive. In town, the nicer areas are South Central, Upper East, and Upper West. However, they are also the most expensive. The North Valley has a mix of subdivisions/small acreage/farm land...much less of a neighborhood feel. In town, there really is no bad neighborhood except the areas around the intersection of Rodney and 6th are kind of shady, and the area down by the railroad tracks in the "6th Ward" is kind of run down. Rodney is actually a very nice street between 8th and Helena Ave. though.

Helena has lots of interesting old houses and many unique rental situations. At one time (over 100 years ago), it had the highest per capita number of millionaires in the U.S. Thus, many large Victorian homes and mansions have been converted to multi-family rental units. To get a feel for Helena, it would be most interesting to rent in the South Central or Upper West (near Mount Helena) for a year. However, if you want a duplex or a townhouse, there's lots on the Upper East side near the hospital.

Your husband should have an easy time securing a job as an RN here.

Old 03-17-2007, 02:22 PM

Wow, that is so helpful. Thank you. We have been reading the newspaper on line but they don't give you this kind of information. Just trying to compare towns without input can be difficult. I am really excited about coming to Helena. We debated so many places and Helena kept coming up as the place that had most of the what we are looking for. My husband will be flying out in June or July and this will help him map a course. Thanks!!

Old 03-17-2007, 02:53 PM

989 posts, read 3,525,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Want-To-Move View Post
Wow, that is so helpful. Thank you. We have been reading the newspaper on line but they don't give you this kind of information. Just trying to compare towns without input can be difficult. I am really excited about coming to Helena. We debated so many places and Helena kept coming up as the place that had most of the what we are looking for. My husband will be flying out in June or July and this will help him map a course. Thanks!!
Helena really is the best place in Montana-- but dont tell anyone else.

Old 03-18-2007, 07:34 AM

The impression I get is Great hiking and fishing, stable economy, great hiking, affordable housing, great hiking, good schools, great hiking. You can see the great hiking has to be a must. I won't disparage where I live now, because it has been good to us, but boy I miss mountains and am sick of Baptists and football.

Old 03-22-2007, 07:12 PM

6 posts, read 231,637 times
Former Billings boy here.... Helena is a nice small city with lots of changes happening and lots of country around it to still give room for those living around here. Medical jobs are

Old 03-22-2007, 07:16 PM

6 posts, read 231,637 times
Cont.!!!

Medical jobs are available, esp. for nursing but do be VERY careful about St. Petes. A very bad history in it's treatment of staff. All the nurses (and Resp. techs, X-ray, Lab, Pharmacy) that can have moved out to jobs at the VA Hosp.. Look beyond the new construction! You might be ok.. or not... just depends on you and your luck.....

Safe travels!!!

Old 03-26-2007, 01:35 PM

6 posts, read 24,128 times
Default Jobs and hiking

I'm a Helena boy who is moving back in May; so I am pretty familiar with what its like to be looking in the papers and searching around for what I want. It can be difficult to find good info, and I even have lived there most of my life! I am graduating in May and returning home. The job market seems pretty prime right now, especially medically or administratively! The hospital is growing tremendously! If you have the money, I would recommend looking near the south east side of town, near or behind the hospital. It is expensive to be in the new Nob Hill development, but it will be beautiful when it is done. I am looking to build a new health club there, and have seen the plat maps for both sides of the new interchange there! It is AMAZING! Plus, many of the persons and businesses there are very white collar, clean, and professional. Another reason it may be great for you is there will be a city park right behind my gym which will have many hiking trails! Good Luck to you! Feel free to ask any questions about that area!
http://www.thelifesport.com

Old 03-28-2007, 11:44 AM

29 posts, read 163,175 times
Default Elementary Schools

I know many people have asked for info on schools in Helena throuought threads. Here goes another one..We are moving in a couple of months and I was wondering if anybody could give their opinion on Warren Elementary in the East Valley. Along that line, any opinions on the East Valley itself would be great! Trying to buy a home from a different state is difficult, so opinions from locals are valuable right now. We considered renting, but have a large dog and don't want to pay the price of renting a house. Also, prices are going up so quick in Helena, we don't think we should wait!! Thank you to anyone who can help

Old 03-29-2007, 09:25 AM

189 posts, read 799,463 times
Oregon,

Here are some links for Warren School if you haven't come across them all ready.

http://www.helena.k12.mt.us/schools/...nel/index.dhtm
http://www.helena.k12.mt.us/schools/...5st/index.dhtm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana