Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 09:49 AM

181 posts, read 302,990 times

Advertisements

Or are their laws against that too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 10:03 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
No, there are no restrictions on this. Francophones can send their kids to English-first private schools if they are willing to pay.

Old 08-26-2013, 10:09 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,232,614 times
Many private schools are not subsidized at all so I would say wealthier francophones certainly can, yes. There are also some bilingual private schools which offer enough French and are heavily subsidized, so they are more affordable for working class francophones. Although my children qualify for the public English schools, I prefer sending them to the private bilingual school (well, trilingual actually). Better access to special services.

Old 08-26-2013, 10:23 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,810,783 times
Actress Catherine Dhavernas went to the Priory School. She speaks English like an Anglo, but I don't know if her education is the reason.

Old 08-26-2013, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
Many private schools are not subsidized at all so I would say wealthier francophones certainly can, yes. There are also some bilingual private schools which offer enough French and are heavily subsidized, so they are more affordable for working class francophones. Although my children qualify for the public English schools, I prefer sending them to the private bilingual school (well, trilingual actually). Better access to special services.
Aliss2 makes a good point about subsidized vs non-subsidized private schools.

The subsidized ones have no restrictions on attendance based on language either. But they get subsidies because they follow the Ministry of Education's program to the letter - generally an enriched version of the program in regular public schools. Because of the subsidy generally it costs between 2500 and 3000 dollars to send your kid their for a year.

The unsubsidized ones are often run by particular ethnic and religious groups. They also have guidelines and curricula to follow from the Ministry of Education but it's not as stringent as with the above private schools. These schools generally cost from 8000 a year to upwards of 20000. There are no language-based restrictions on these either.

Old 08-26-2013, 10:32 AM

181 posts, read 302,990 times
If the pq had its way, would they be forced to sent them to a french school?

Old 08-26-2013, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid55 View Post
If the pq had its way, would they be forced to sent them to a french school?
There has not really been any talk of this.

One thing the PQ has tried to address is a loophole that allows some people to get around the rules for public schools. Basically, in one part of the rules it says that if a child has been to school in English in Canada for "most of his or her schooling", the kid can go to public schools in English in Quebec.

So what some parents have done is start their kids in English private school (paying the $$$) for one year only. Then they say that this is most of the kid's schooling (if they have just started school), and then claim the right to English public school for the rest of their education.

But this loophole has I believe been addressed and you can no longer really do this.

Old 08-26-2013, 11:18 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid55 View Post
Or are their laws against that too?
French kids only have the option of French Public sector schools, if they want English education its pay for private school.

Old 08-26-2013, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
French kids only have the option of French Public sector schools, if they want English education its pay for private school.
As do most immigrant children as well. Both groups only have the option of French private schools as well.

English Canadians in Quebec generally have the option of English public, French public, French private or English private.

Old 08-26-2013, 03:06 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Odd that the French government of Quebec would give all those educational choices to resident Anglophones including the Various degrees of French immersion schools but restrict its own Francophone demographic to French school only, unless they want to pay for English private school.
My kids like yourself came through their schooling fluently bilingual to the point you'd have to ask them if they were English or French.
In todays global economic/busness market it seems a step backward for the Quebec government to handicap its younger generations in such a manner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal