Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 04:42 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,026,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi wan spaghetti View Post
It was the Anglos that fought and defeated the nazis, the French in France and Quebec did not.
In France they openly collaborated with the nazis.
While the anglo Canadians were fighting their way through Europe, the quebec francophones did all they could to avoid fighting in both world wars.
Indeed the "francophone" only exists today because of the anglo allies liberating france
And so the thread goes down the rabbit hole... just like the other one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2014, 09:54 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,452,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I would also add that I know a few families who are anglophone but who send their kids to "French first" schools here in Quebec (by choice BTW - they would have the right to send them to English school if they wanted to) and the kids don't appear to be losing their English since they speak English at home, and watch TV and listen to music and read books in that language.
Our choice, too. Could have gone to an English school, but went to the French instead. Sort of wondering - why such desperation from the Anglo parents to get into Anglo schools in Quebec? If anything, this province offers you a great and cheap opportunity to let your kids acquire another language, which will give them a leg up in the future. Frustrations of allophone parents are valid, though - their kids may become unilingual French. Maybe less so in Montreal, but say in Quebec city it's more certain.

Old 04-20-2014, 01:27 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
Our choice, too. Could have gone to an English school, but went to the French instead. Sort of wondering - why such desperation from the Anglo parents to get into Anglo schools in Quebec? If anything, this province offers you a great and cheap opportunity to let your kids acquire another language, which will give them a leg up in the future. Frustrations of allophone parents are valid, though - their kids may become unilingual French. Maybe less so in Montreal, but say in Quebec city it's more certain.
I doubt any of Quebecs entrenched Anglo population are calling for English only schooling for their kids,All my Anglo friends see the need for their kids to become fully bilingual here in Quebec so they have no problems enrolling their kids in French immersion schools or French schools. those people who want to enroll their kids in English only schools i imagine are a demographic that really doesnt have much experience with Quebec is mostly coming from elsewhere and thinks you can live in just the English part of Quebec

Old 04-20-2014, 06:34 AM

4,253 posts, read 9,452,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I doubt any of Quebecs entrenched Anglo population are calling for English only schooling for their kids,All my Anglo friends see the need for their kids to become fully bilingual here in Quebec so they have no problems enrolling their kids in French immersion schools or French schools. those people who want to enroll their kids in English only schools i imagine are a demographic that really doesnt have much experience with Quebec is mostly coming from elsewhere and thinks you can live in just the English part of Quebec
Yes, I was speaking of the ever-present topics on here "we are moving to Quebec, and want to live in an English bubble?" Just trying to imagine moving to China, for example, and desperately trying to avoid a shred of Chinese culture. Personally, I would send my kids straight to a Chinese school. I just see so many pluses, and have a hard time believing that others can't.

Old 04-20-2014, 06:54 AM

692 posts, read 957,431 times
Quote:
But that's no different from allophone parents in English communities though. How many kids from Spanish-speaking, Arabic-speaking or Chinese-speaking parents in Toronto, Vancouver, New York or Chicago are fluent in their parent's language? Some are, but many if not most are English-dominant.

If you're an allophone and you want your kids to speak your language then you have to make that effort to teach them yourselves at home or in the community if your neighbourhood speaks the same language you do.

Old 04-20-2014, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Yes, I was speaking of the ever-present topics on here "we are moving to Quebec, and want to live in an English bubble?" Just trying to imagine moving to China, for example, and desperately trying to avoid a shred of Chinese culture. Personally, I would send my kids straight to a Chinese school. I just see so many pluses, and have a hard time believing that others can't.
Yes, all the posts here to the effect "we wanna move to Montreal but want to find out how to get around this French thingy'' are a bit annoying. And also these people are setting themselves to be quite bitter and unhappy down the road - and their kids too.

Old 04-22-2014, 06:46 AM

692 posts, read 957,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackfruit View Post
First, we are not anglophone so sending our kid to bilingual schools is out of the question.

Second, we move to Montreal NOT because this French thingy, it's the most disgusting part I would say and certainly we are not interested in crumbling infrastructure, entitlement culture nor in union thugs if you think they are also French thingy. And if someone tells me it's law and it's not against Canadian constitution , I would say because it's law it does not mean it's correct (Can't we say the same thing about Nazi law?)
For me it's always a shame that Canadian constitution can't protect their citizens from that racist law.

Thirds, it's OUR CHOICE, you don't understand that? Kebekers seem have no idea about respecting people's freedom (not very surprising given the nanny state and entitlement culture). If Kebek language and culture are interesting, they would speak for themselves just as we never need to tell you how important being fluent in English is. Stop preaching to us on what we should do to our kids. Ironically, statically speaking these bitter and unhappy kids outperform these monolingual French kids who would never go out of their backwater province, who would consider a trip to Gaspesie a highlight of their lives. Pathetic!

Why don't French Canadian (in Ottawa region) send their kids to English schools as your money is certainly an English thingy? Are they setting themselves to be quite bitter and unhappy down the road - and their kids too?
The level of hypocrisy in your posts amazes me.
Why would you move to a French-speaking region that is almost 3 times the size of France itself and not what your kids to be educated in the language of that area?

And while Anglophones are a minority, they've got two universities, an entire hospital system, primary and secondary education in their language if they want to. Meanwhile the millions of Francophones outside of Quebec have nowhere near as many options. If you're gonna bash Quebecois for slights against the anglophone community there you should probably be equally critical of the Anglophone attitude to everyone else in the rest of Canada.

Quebec isn't a country but it certainly isn't an ethnic neighbourhood as many people view it.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:53 AM

Quote:
First, we are not anglophone so sending our kid to bilingual schools is out of the question.

Second, we move to Montreal NOT because this French thingy, it's the most disgusting part I would say and certainly we are not interested in crumbling infrastructure, entitlement culture nor in union thugs if you think they are also French thingy. And if someone tells me it's law and it's not against Canadian constitution , I would say because it's law it does not mean it's correct (Can't we say the same thing about Nazi law?)
For me it's always a shame that Canadian constitution can't protect their citizens from that racist law.

Thirds, it's OUR CHOICE, you don't understand that? Kebekers seem have no idea about respecting people's freedom (not very surprising given the nanny state and entitlement culture). If Kebek language and culture are interesting, they would speak for themselves just as we never need to tell you how important being fluent in English is. Stop preaching to us on what we should do to our kids. Ironically, statically speaking these bitter and unhappy kids outperform these monolingual French kids who would never go out of their backwater province, who would consider a trip to Gaspesie a highlight of their lives. Pathetic!

Why don't French Canadian (in Ottawa region) send their kids to English schools as your money is certainly an English thingy? Are they setting themselves to be quite bitter and unhappy down the road - and their kids too?
The level of hypocrisy in your posts amazes me.
You obviously have a bright future here. Full of sunshine, roses, milk and honey. Knock yourself out.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:04 AM

Quote:

The difference is that for the most part they are *French Canadians* whose ancestors have been in the country for hundreds of years. You are not *English* Canadians. If you were, your kids could go to English school in Quebec.

As for them being bitter and unhappy, generally they are not because unlike people like you do in Quebec they don't walk around a mostly anglophone province feeling superior because they are francophone and expect every single person they bump into to switch to French just for them. French Canadians in Ottawa do have (some) institutions of their own but they also integrate well with the wider community and have no issue speaking in English with their anglophone neighbours, at the restaurant, the grocery store, etc.

So it's not the same situation at all.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:05 AM

Quote:

Thirds, it's OUR CHOICE, you don't understand that? .
If it's a choice YOU are making, then you should live with everything that that choice entails.

If not, then make another choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal