Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 09:35 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,323,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
A real solution would be to have a unified school system with 80-85% of the day in French and 15-20% of the day in English. This would yield a truly bilingual population.

But I doubt the anglo community would go for this, and it's also impossible under the Canadian Constitution.
The Anglo community in Quebec is already going for it as the majority of parents send their kids to French immersion schools, some send their kids to French school ,they get the message that nothing is more useless in Quebec than a unilingual speaker whether French or English.As far as i can see all my Anglo Friends kids are coming out of the Quebec education system much more bilingual than i see my of my French friends kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2013, 09:39 AM

589 posts, read 639,298 times
Quote:
A real solution would be to have a unified school system with 80-85% of the day in French and 15-20% of the day in English. This would yield a truly bilingual population.

But I doubt the anglo community would go for this, and it's also impossible under the Canadian Constitution.

Honestly, I don't even think the Francophones would go for that. That's basically an hour and a half a day solely in English. I can't see them extending English beyond the minimum requirement. But then again, maybe they should extend it and force Pauline Marois to attend. It's bad enough she sounds like a bumbling moron when she speaks English.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:44 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,047,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
The Anglo community in Quebec is already going for it as the majority of parents send their kids to French immersion schools, some send their kids to French school ,.
I observe the same thing as you do, but the anglo community leadership is still adamant about retaining the anglo school system as well as about having more open access to it.

But yeah, a decent-sized chunk of kids who would technically have the right to go to English school in Quebec go to French school instead. I know a bunch of them, including kids where both parents are anglophone or allophone (but Quebec-educated in English).

Old 09-03-2013, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Well who can compete with those mighty Francophones eh? smartest people in the world and come out of the womb already functionally bilingual. to the point where even unilingual Francophones are more bilingual than bilingual Anglophones.
.I'm sure both my kids are as bilingual as you are AJ..
Not saying it is impossible but if they can write in French as well as I can write in English then I'd be truly impressed.

Old 09-03-2013, 10:17 AM

Quote:
I observe the same thing as you do, but the anglo community leadership is still adamant about retaining the anglo school system as well as about having more open access to it.

But yeah, a decent-sized chunk of kids who would technically have the right to go to English school in Quebec go to French school instead. I know a bunch of them, including kids where both parents are anglophone or allophone (but Quebec-educated in English).
Most Anglo schools in the Montreal area i know of are defacto French immersion schools,with the usual curriculum 80% French till grade 4, 60% French till grade 7 then 50/50 through high school.
How does the French school system in Quebec compare to addressing English in its curriculum.?
As for access to the English school system? they accept every one,its the Quebec government that denies Francophone kids from attending.

Old 09-03-2013, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Most Anglo schools in the Montreal area i know of are defacto French immersion schools,with the usual curriculum 80% French till grade 4, 60% French till grade 7 then 50/50 through high school.
How does the French school system in Quebec compare to addressing English in its curriculum.?
As for access to the English school system? they accept every one,its the Quebec government that denies Francophone kids from attending.
Isn't that what I said - that the anglo school people want more open access to their institutions?

Old 09-03-2013, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Well who can compete with those mighty Francophones eh? smartest people in the world and come out of the womb already functionally bilingual. to the point where even unilingual Francophones are more bilingual than bilingual Anglophones.
I don't believe that it's really about francophones being smarter, but rather that written English is easier to acquire than written French.

Old 09-03-2013, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Isn't that what I said - that the anglo school people want more open access to their institutions?
So why doesnt the Quebec government give more open access to English schools rather than insist all Francophones go to French school.Its not up to the English school boards to determine access rules and regulations,the Quebec Governments set those eligibility requirements.

Old 09-03-2013, 03:52 PM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,096,864 times
Anglophone children should be allowed to go to English public schools, regardless of the education their parents have had. As francophone immigrant children are allowed to do it in the other provinces, anglophone immigrant children should be allowed to do it in Quebec.

Old 09-03-2013, 04:12 PM

I think the kids should go to any school their parents want them to go to, why is the government making this decision instead of the parents..?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal