Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 09:51 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,047,932 times

Advertisements

I would also add that I know a few families who are anglophone but who send their kids to "French first" schools here in Quebec (by choice BTW - they would have the right to send them to English school if they wanted to) and the kids don't appear to be losing their English since they speak English at home, and watch TV and listen to music and read books in that language.

Plus their French is pretty much at native-speaker level and when they are with their schoolmates or friends from the neighbourhood you could not even tell that they are from anglophone families.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2014, 09:56 AM

2,869 posts, read 5,138,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
The schools with 5K tuition are cheap because they follow certain guidelines set out by the province and therefore receive funding from them, so that way tuition is less because the government is funding them. As such, the quality of education is not inferior. This system means that private schools are thus more accessible to the average joe in Quebec, and thus a way larger percentage of kids go to private school in Quebec then in other provinces.

Use this website to find ones in your area, it may be a much better alternative to living in Cornwall: Quebec Association of Independent Schools: Directory of Schools
..But subsidized private schools are covered by the Charter, so kids going there need the same Certificate of Eligibility as those going to public schools.

I don't know what the going rate is for non-subsidized private schools but it is likely much higher, since those essentially cater to people who want to avoid Bill 101.

Old 04-14-2014, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
..But subsidized private schools are covered by the Charter, so kids going there need the same Certificate of Eligibility as those going to public schools.

I don't know what the going rate is for non-subsidized private schools but it is likely much higher, since those essentially cater to people who want to avoid Bill 101.
True. That's a very good point. Probably any non-subsidized private English school will be at a minimum $10000-12000 per year.

Old 04-14-2014, 04:55 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,138,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackfruit View Post
Well, the problem is that I am not anglophone and my English is far from perfect. And for those anglophone, can their grand-children go to English schools taking into account that their children do not receive the majority of their education in English? Honestly, that kind of certificate reminds me of something from Nazi.
Ahhhh, good ole Godwin's Law. I was wondering where you'd been.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Well, the problem is that I am not anglophone and my English is far from perfect. And for those anglophone, can their grand-children go to English schools taking into account that their children do not receive the majority of their education in English? Honestly, that kind of certificate reminds me of something from Nazi.
Then you know absolutely nothing about Nazism I suppose.

In 99% of places in the world there would not be a parallel publicly-funded minority language school system like there is in Quebec. The schools would only operate in the main language of the society. And even this would not be ''Nazism''.

Old 04-15-2014, 04:12 AM

Quote:
First, Quebec is NOT a country, it's just a province of Canada where English is an official language.
Second, I am Canadian citizen, my children must have right to be educated in its official language.
Third, Quebec anglophone community is sizable and pays a large part of Quebec tax. Their language and culture needs to be protected. English schools in Quebec are closing down because of lack of students.

If you are talking about protecting French language, it would make more sense. Don't try to justify that with other BS arguments. It's a racist law, plain and simple.
OK... so this is what this is all about.

You should read up on Canadian constitutional law and history a bit more. And the true meaning of words like ''racism''. Probably ''Nazism'' too.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:40 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,323,443 times
Quote:
Na·zism (nät′sĭz′əm, năt′-) also Na·zi·ism (-sē-ĭz′əm)n. The ideology and practice of the Nazis, especially the policy of racist nationalism, national expansion, and state control of the economy.
This definition would encompass many places..With Quebecs Charter of Values and its efforts to wipe out its Anglo demographic and its aspirations of separation Quebec is 2 out of three already.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
This definition would encompass many places..With Quebecs Charter of Values and its efforts to wipe out its Anglo demographic and its aspirations of separation Quebec is 2 out of three already.
You guys are not well. If the true victims of Nazism were alive today they would tell you you should be ashamed.

Old 04-15-2014, 11:01 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,323,443 times
You told us to read up on the subject.. i just call em as i see um.
Quote:
Quote:
Na·zism (nät′sĭz′əm, năt′-) also Na·zi·ism (-sē-ĭz′əm)n. The ideology and practice of the Nazis, especially the policy of racist nationalism, national expansion, and state control of the economy.
Charter of Values=racist nationalism..
Separation from Canada = national expansion.
State control of economy? not quite there yet..

Old 04-16-2014, 05:34 PM

301 posts, read 521,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
You guys are not well. If the true victims of Nazism were alive today they would tell you you should be ashamed.
It was the Anglos that fought and defeated the nazis, the French in France and Quebec did not.
In France they openly collaborated with the nazis.
While the anglo Canadians were fighting their way through Europe, the quebec francophones did all they could to avoid fighting in both world wars.
Indeed the "francophone" only exists today because of the anglo allies liberating france
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal