Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2014, 10:07 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,047,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
It is a fact that you just shared your opinion as I had shared my opinion.
I suppose so. We could always have been stuck hanging out with ECU in the former Big East, or in the weakest Power 5 league with Florida State just hoping and waiting for a chance to bail out to the SEC instead of being in the second best football conference in the country with established and solid anchor programs, but you're entitled to your opinion.

Remember this... in this day and age, most of the conferences are spread out over large geographic areas. There really isn't that much difference in air travel time between going to Miami and going to Oklahoma City. Also, the notion that away games have to be in close proximity doesn't hold a lot of weight for a program like West Virginia. We have 190,000+ living alumni spread out all over the country, with particularly large groups in Texas. It isn't like the old days playing in the Big East (or like it would be in the ACC) when there would be 10K+ extra tickets available for purchase at away games and every WVU fan who wanted one could easily get a ticket. These are solid, well supported programs with 5,000 visiting team tickets available. There are 5,000 Mountaineer fans in just about any part of the country who will use the available allotment. Those games in Oklahoma and Texas have plenty of gold and blue in the stands.

In addition, Big XII fans from all those schools travel well. They buy their 5,000 tickets to attend Mountaineer games in Morgantown too, and bring their families along for the trip. Being in the XII is a Bonanza for NCWV and the surrounding area in terms of tourism dollars. All those East Coast located graduates of all the XII schools circle the WV game every year when it is played in Morgantown as one to attend. Gone are the days when we would get 1,000 Rutgers fans or 500 Boston College fans here for a game. Last time they played in Morgantown, Marshall only brought 2,000 or so fans for the 3 1/2 hour trip. XII fans attend in large numbers. I do miss some of the old rivalries, but program wise we are much better off and they are scheduling OOC games to try to account for the old rivalries in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2014, 03:08 PM

158 posts, read 247,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
I suppose so. We could always have been stuck hanging out with ECU in the former Big East, or in the weakest Power 5 league with Florida State just hoping and waiting for a chance to bail out to the SEC instead of being in the second best football conference in the country with established and solid anchor programs, but you're entitled to your opinion.

Remember this... in this day and age, most of the conferences are spread out over large geographic areas. There really isn't that much difference in air travel time between going to Miami and going to Oklahoma City. Also, the notion that away games have to be in close proximity doesn't hold a lot of weight for a program like West Virginia. We have 190,000+ living alumni spread out all over the country, with particularly large groups in Texas. It isn't like the old days playing in the Big East (or like it would be in the ACC) when there would be 10K+ extra tickets available for purchase at away games and every WVU fan who wanted one could easily get a ticket. These are solid, well supported programs with 5,000 visiting team tickets available. There are 5,000 Mountaineer fans in just about any part of the country who will use the available allotment. Those games in Oklahoma and Texas have plenty of gold and blue in the stands.

In addition, Big XII fans from all those schools travel well. They buy their 5,000 tickets to attend Mountaineer games in Morgantown too, and bring their families along for the trip. Being in the XII is a Bonanza for NCWV and the surrounding area in terms of tourism dollars. All those East Coast located graduates of all the XII schools circle the WV game every year when it is played in Morgantown as one to attend. Gone are the days when we would get 1,000 Rutgers fans or 500 Boston College fans here for a game. Last time they played in Morgantown, Marshall only brought 2,000 or so fans for the 3 1/2 hour trip. XII fans attend in large numbers. I do miss some of the old rivalries, but program wise we are much better off and they are scheduling OOC games to try to account for the old rivalries in the future.
Alumni Maps | Alumni | West Virginia University

Texas has fewer registered WVU alumni than California. This map tells you where we should be.

Old 12-18-2014, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowKing View Post

Texas has fewer registered WVU alumni than California. This map tells you where we should be.
Texas has thousands of registered and unregistered alumni, as well as many thousands more of former West Virginians who didn't go to school at WVU but who support The Mountaineers. When I attended a game in Austin there were 11,000 Mountaineer fans present... 5,000 of whom had used The University's allotment and another 7,000 who managed to get tickets on their own. My point is geography isn't much of a factor in terms of Mountaineer fans. There will be fans who will attend the games in Texas and California just as there are who will attend in Connecticut and Florida.

Old 12-19-2014, 07:35 AM

334 posts, read 496,021 times
Quote:

And we would be still in the Big East if Pitt, Syracuse, Miami, Virginia Tech, BC played along.

You obviously have no clue how expansion and television contracts work.

You're one of those narrow minded hillbilly folks who rather be in AAC playing with Tulane, SMU, Memphis, East Carolina for about 10 percent of the current revenue while operating with a massive deficit.

You hate Oliver Luck as a person? That's fine I understand but DON'T hate Luck for all the GREAT things he did to WVU athletics.

Old 12-19-2014, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abwvu1 View Post
And we would be still in the Big East if Pitt, Syracuse, Miami, Virginia Tech, BC played along.

You obviously have no clue how expansion and television contracts work.

You're one of those narrow minded hillbilly folks who rather be in AAC playing with Tulane, SMU, Memphis, East Carolina for about 10 percent of the current revenue while operating with a massive deficit.

You hate Oliver Luck as a person? That's fine I understand but DON'T hate Luck for all the GREAT things he did to WVU athletics.
I don't know how you can say what clues I have, but I will agree that if movement hadn't taken place in Eastern football we would still be playing a boring, Eastern, low quality for BCS level, football schedule.

Now, as to me being "one of those narrow minded hillbilly folks" I take exception. It is really poor form on here to make personal insults part of your posts. I have no problem with you disagreeing with me, especially if you are doing something other than running your mouth and have something to back up your claims, but the insults will have to go or I will report you for them. In this case, you are totally off base. I definitely would not want to be playing in either the AAC or the ACC as both offer vastly inferior football compared with our current league.

And, where in the world do you come up with any notion that I "hate Oliver Luck as a person"? I have never once said anything that would indicate that I don't like Oliver, who has done wonderful things for our athletic program. Do I think he is perfect? No. Do I think some things might improve under different leadership? Yes. However, I have GREAT appreciation for Oliver as a person and as an administrator and for his wonderful accomplishments on behalf of Mountaineer athletics. I would have no problem with him staying here longer.

Old 12-19-2014, 09:25 AM

671 posts, read 1,057,716 times
Quote:
I don't know how you can say what clues I have, but I will agree that if movement hadn't taken place in Eastern football we would still be playing a boring, Eastern, low quality for BCS level, football schedule.

Now, as to me being "one of those narrow minded hillbilly folks" I take exception. It is really poor form on here to make personal insults part of your posts. I have no problem with you disagreeing with me, especially if you are doing something other than running your mouth and have something to back up your claims, but the insults will have to go or I will report you for them. In this case, you are totally off base. I definitely would not want to be playing in either the AAC or the ACC as both offer vastly inferior football compared with our current league.

And, where in the world do you come up with any notion that I "hate Oliver Luck as a person"? I have never once said anything that would indicate that I don't like Oliver, who has done wonderful things for our athletic program. Do I think he is perfect? No. Do I think some things might improve under different leadership? Yes. However, I have GREAT appreciation for Oliver as a person and as an administrator and for his wonderful accomplishments on behalf of Mountaineer athletics. I would have no problem with him staying here longer.
You are YellowKing and CT?

Old 12-19-2014, 09:27 AM

334 posts, read 496,021 times
Quote:

None of this is directed at you in any way. I respect you as a poster and as a person (even though I've never met you a day in my life).

I am asking Yellow King and Yellow King only. He's probably too spineless to answer such questions.

Please accept my apologies.

Old 12-19-2014, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abwvu1 View Post
None of this is directed at you in any way. I respect you as a poster and as a person (even though I've never met you a day in my life).

I am asking Yellow King and Yellow King only. He's probably too spineless to answer such questions.

Please accept my apologies.
Not at all ... I'm the one who needs to apologize. Indeed, it was my mistake and I am sorry. I should have looked more closely as I thought your post was directed toward me, but I can see clearly that it was not. My bad. My only excuse is I just had a bit of a squabble with my wife and it caught me in a bad frame of mind, so to speak.

Old 12-19-2014, 11:02 AM

2,290 posts, read 3,827,979 times
Quote:
This map tells you where we should be.
WVU should be in a conference with Pitt and Penn State.

There's more WVU alums in Allegheny County, PA alone than all of Big XII territory.

Old 12-19-2014, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
WVU should be in a conference with Pitt and Penn State.

There's more WVU alums in Allegheny County, PA alone than all of Big XII territory.
You are talking apples and oranges there. Playing Penn State (and we do have a couple games upcoming scheduled with them), we would get our customary 5,000 visitors tickets and easily use them. There would be a couple thousand others who would get tickets form e-bay and so forth, but no matter how many alumni we have, only a few thousand could get tickets to the game.

Playing Pitt is another matter. Pitt is a traditional football power, but to get to that tradition you have to go back a generation and a half... 40 years or so since they have been relevant at all. They have mid major like support and attendance. The ONLY reason to play Pitt is tradition and away game ticket availability. Quality wise, Pitt sucks in comparison with most of our current opponents. Granted, when we would play at Pitt, with their pathetic fan base West Virginia fans could grab up 25,000 tickets to attend the game. That's about the only advantage.

I have no problem with being in a conference with Penn State. I wouldn't mind having Pitt in our league for tradition's sake, but there is no way given alternatives that I would want our program to be in the league they currently call home. Playing in that conference means we would have to swap Texas for Boston College, Oklahoma for Clemson, Kansas State for Wake Forest, Kansas for Duke, TCU for Miami, Baylor for NC State, etc. Strength of schedule wise we take a severe beating in that scenario. This day and age only Florida State and to a degree Clemson play quality football in that conference. The XII has at least 8 programs that, year in and year out, play at that level or higher. We won't make as many good bowl games playing our schedule every year, that is true, but an argument could be made that our schedule is so good that nearly every week is bowl game like in terms of quality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown