Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 11:54 AM

47,008 posts, read 26,056,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Don't get me wrong , I really can appreciate the time, money and effort people have in their Harley's. I love the styling on some of them, I just can't stand their sound.
Well, the sound comes from sharing one crank pin between two 45-degree offset cylinders, a design decision made to save money back when and now the design is "iconic" and holding HD back in a lot of respects. Sure, they have a niche, but...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2013, 11:58 AM
lgt

469 posts, read 1,343,300 times
This thread reminds me of Southpark Season 13, Episode 12.

Old 07-01-2013, 12:06 PM

2,256 posts, read 4,502,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
I ride, and I effin' hate the "lookatme" pipes. The safety excuse is BS, because the noisy cruiser types also tend to insist on wearing the smallest brain bucket they can find, and heaven forbid someone suggest they wear reflective or protective clothing. Their safety thinking seems to stop at "make noise".

As it happens, what I've been saying for years - "Loud pipes lose rights" - have come true. Aftermarket pipes are increasingly being regulated and/or outlawed, because a few inconsiderate asshats decided to abuse a privilege and so had it rescinded for everybody.
+1000...
All these "loud pipes saves lives", and "just like the V8 sound with straight pipes" crowd are a bunch of small penised weasels.
You dont need OPEN or STRAIGHT pipes to enjoy the sound of either. I like a decent rumble as much as the next motorhead but you dont need it unmuffled and interferring with everyone elses "quiet enjoyment" for you yourself to enjoy it.

I'm no "treehugger" either.. been racing motorcycles since I was 5 years old and racing and teaching autoracing for almost a couple decades. I'm very familar with not acting like a grown up, but I do it where it doesnt interfere with others not so inclined. The "look at me" toolbags just need to grow up and stop being so selfish.

Old 07-01-2013, 12:08 PM

29,564 posts, read 14,708,717 times
Quote:
Well, the sound comes from sharing one crank pin between two 45-degree offset cylinders, a design decision made to save money back when and now the design is "iconic" and holding HD back in a lot of respects. Sure, they have a niche, but...
That and don't they fire add an odd number of degrees of crank rotation vs 360 like most other motors ? To me it just sounds like a motor out of tune.

Funny thing is the only Harley motor I like is the one most HD enthusiasts hate.. the VRod motor.

Old 07-01-2013, 12:13 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,482,909 times
Quote:
I ride, and I effin' hate the "lookatme" pipes. The safety excuse is BS, because the noisy cruiser types also tend to insist on wearing the smallest brain bucket they can find, and heaven forbid someone suggest they wear reflective or protective clothing. Their safety thinking seems to stop at "make noise".

As it happens, what I've been saying for years - "Loud pipes lose rights" - have come true. Aftermarket pipes are increasingly being regulated and/or outlawed, because a few inconsiderate asshats decided to abuse a privilege and so had it rescinded for everybody.
Instead of going after the few who abuse, go for them all?

Whether they are wearing a peanut shell or full helmet, not getting hit is a good thing.

I never got into wearing reflective clothing, I was a jeans and leather jacket or full riding leathers rider.

Everything these days is about ruining the fun for everyone because of a few bad apples.

Old 07-01-2013, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
+1000...
All these "loud pipes saves lives", and "just like the V8 sound with straight pipes" crowd are a bunch of small penised weasels.
You dont need OPEN or STRAIGHT pipes to enjoy the sound of either. I like a decent rumble as much as the next motorhead but you dont need it unmuffled and interferring with everyone elses "quiet enjoyment" for you yourself to enjoy it.

I'm no "treehugger" either.. been racing motorcycles since I was 5 years old and racing and teaching autoracing for almost a couple decades. I'm very familar with not acting like a grown up, but I do it where it doesnt interfere with others not so inclined. The "look at me" toolbags just need to grow up and stop being so selfish.
I think its funny how it comes down to penis size. Sorry, but has nothing to do with that. I like my V8 louder than stock. You are you to tell me what I can and cant like and spreading rumors about penis size. You know nothing.

Headers, hiflo cats, x-over, out some duals sounds dang good. You wont see me romping up and down the neighborhoods waking everybody, but I could if I wanted to.

The fact of the matter is we dont "need" any of these things. We dont NEED big v8's, motorcycles, etc.

What if others quite time is interfering with my loud time, say between 8 am and 10 pm????

Old 07-01-2013, 12:24 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,118,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhemi View Post
What if others quite time is interfering with my loud time, say between 8 am and 10 pm????
... Are you aware of how ridiculous you're coming across at this point?

Old 07-01-2013, 12:41 PM

7,321 posts, read 6,937,919 times
You have to pay attention and not put your self in those positions where people are not likely to be paying atention.
If i see some one texting I steer very clear of them, go way ahead or fall back .
I don't ride in groups for a reason.
On person out of a group does something stupid your with them birds of a feather and so on.
Secondly , the kids up ahead tend to push the envelope which jepordise every one else particularly the novice kid trying to identify, or worse compete.
As for the noise , you folks don't visit an air port often do you ?
fewier spend any time on a lake.
I personally don't care for the loud exhaust on bikes but after a few insadents of being pushed over, their reasoning is justified.
You are going to be seeing a lot more people riding as the econemy worstens ,being the more practicle mode of transportation.
Motor cyclists tend to be better drivers,in th long run,because their sensis are more attuned to paying attention to traffic as a life or death event moment to moment in some cases and that's just normal every day riding.
However the more people that ride the better, it would make better drivers of them.
IMO

Old 07-01-2013, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
... Are you aware of how ridiculous you're coming across at this point?
Yes, I do. Its 100% intentional. It's just as ridiculous as people calling the loud ones small penis whatevers.

All I'm trying to say is we live in this friggin awesome county where we have this freedom. Yet we get people who dislike something that really is not a big deal, make a stink about it, get lil local ordinances passed ruining the fun for many others.

If one does not like loud pipes, then don't put them on. If one does not like tattoos, then dont get one. If you have some punk that is screaming up and down neighborhoods at 4 am wide open, go after them.

This is what our county has come too. Nothing but crybabies who cry about every little thing. Seriously, if you dont like it, there are plenty of other counties that will dictate your life. Let us who want to live free, and just deal with the things we dont like, because its worth doing to have the freedom then to give it up.

Old 07-01-2013, 01:06 PM

1,302 posts, read 2,951,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhemi View Post
Is your freedom to enjoy your "loud time" more valuable than my (and other's) freedom to enjoy lunch on a sidewalk patio without some d-bag on his Harley revving excessively?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles