Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 01:19 PM

30 posts, read 75,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linson View Post
wrong and wrong. there are enough people (women) who dont like the Star Wars trilogy. i'd even say that as a child, it was the greatest story ever told, but as an adult, it really doesnt hold up that well - what with the poor acting and bad dialogue.
I agree with the acting statement for the first Star Wars (A New Hope). I think the acting in that film is wooden, and not that good (Still a great movie). I can also agree that Return of the Jedi had some 'meh' acting and was a little hokey with the Ewoks... still a great film though. However, Empire Strikes back really brought depth to the characters and series. The characters developed so much in those 3 years. Also, the action and plot are superb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2010, 05:41 AM

311 posts, read 694,224 times
Most women have sh*ity taste in movies.My aunt thinks Failure to Launch is a better movie than Master and Commander.

Old 08-07-2010, 06:11 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,633,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tired-of-mn View Post
Most women have sh*ity taste in movies.My aunt thinks Failure to Launch is a better movie than Master and Commander.
That's a bit of a generalisation isn't it ? I would say most people have pretty awful taste in movies when one considers that the most popular blockbusters are all pretty bad compared to the average foreign or Indie film. IMO.

"Failure to Launch" was truly awful I'll give you that. But then again most action films meant principally for me also scrape the bottom of the barrel.

Sorry but anything with Arnie or J-C Van Damme is not exactly something anyone should be proud of and the target audience is hardly female. Most Hollywood films nowadays seem to rely on loud explosions, appalling special effects which look like video game and the level of a plot a 3 year old could come up with. Chick flick of Jock flick, both genres are equally rubbish.

Old 08-08-2010, 06:32 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,380,574 times
Everyone I know likes Coming to America, although I prefer the first Beverley Hills Cop. That was back when Eddie was still funny

Old 08-09-2010, 08:40 AM

1,949 posts, read 5,263,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
Everyone I know likes Coming to America, although I prefer the first Beverley Hills Cop. That was back when Eddie was still funny
correct and correct - although i personally dont like Coming to America. too hacky. too 80's. i dont think that movie would have worked if it came out any time after 1989. take a movie like Dumb and Dumber - that, IMO, would have been a hit in the 60's, 70's, 80's, or 90's. not sure about today though. now, it seems, a comedy doesnt have to be funny to be a big hit. it just has to be marketed as "a big hit." perfect example: The Hangover.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:58 AM

41,967 posts, read 75,217,462 times
Quote:
LMAO, what a silly statement. Your aunt is not most women.

Old 08-09-2010, 02:05 PM

414 posts, read 1,010,183 times
Quote:
Wow...generalization much?
I never watched Failure to Launch and I really don't have a desire to see it either. People have different tastes. I personally have no need to see Master and Commander either.

Some of my favorites are not "chick flicks" at all. I love Cinderella Man. The story is great. My all time favorite is Disney's Beauty and the Beast. That's one that I've never heard dislike for, though I'm sure there's someone out there. I like many other Disney movies as well...I think a lot of them are brilliant. Remember the Titans and Miracle are two I enjoy.

I really like the story line to August Rush. The Guardian with Kevin Costner and Ashton Kutcher is a good one too. Maybe others don't...

These are just some that everyone I know enjoys.

Old 08-09-2010, 03:09 PM

631 posts, read 1,072,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linson View Post
Casablanca.
Casablanca? I know some people (me included) who are indifferent to this sugary film.

Old 08-09-2010, 03:45 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,380,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Origin of Symmetry View Post
Casablanca? I know some people (me included) who are indifferent to this sugary film.
I've never even seen it

Old 08-09-2010, 05:02 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,712,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I had high hopes for Eddie when he moved from SNL to the Silver Screen. Unfortunately all his movies were pandering crap. All of his best work was on SNL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies