Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 02:59 PM

2,714 posts, read 4,283,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
Sorry," Duh" on my part.

Agree,Dist 9 was an amazing movie.
Near the end of Avatar, I started squirming and looking at my watch.
Yeah I was the same way at the end of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 07:51 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,591,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linson View Post
my point exactly. it wasnt even a put down. that is why the QFT request was added. QFT = "Quoted For Truth". i had to look it up in the Urban Dictionary because someone gave me a QFT. i thought it meant quit ****in' talking. my point is, what i said wasnt meant to be a put down, but just a matter of fact. as i stated before, i was not sounding off in defense of the movie, Groundhog Day, i was just stating a material fact that is objectively true. that truth being this:

if you have never even heard of the movie Goodfellas (1990, starring Robert De Niro, Ray Liotta, and Joe Pesci) then it calls into question your movie knowledge, and taste. it's not inconcievable that you may have never seen the movie - if say, you were born some time after 1987, and have lived a very sheltered life. but to have never even heard of this particular film, it is almost unbelievable, and it really does hurt your credibility in a movie discussion about what's good and what isnt.

my recommendation: watch Goodfellas.

I understood that you were not defending Ground Hog Day, but the rest of it escaped me. I'm still taking it as a put down though as you were stating that based on the fact that I had never heard of one movie you think is so wonderful, I have no credibility. It's an interesting point of view.

I don't care that it was or wasn't a put down, why would I? What you think of me is not important to my life. I just didn't understand what you were saying.

I also am not concerned about my opinion on movies having "credibility". Lots of people have different opinions from mine. It doesn't bother me a bit.

Now I would ask for a QFT, once I point out to you that your above statements are not fact at all, they are your opinion.

That my credibility suffers because I never heard of goodfellas is your opinion. What my taste in movies may or may not consist of because I never heard of goodfellas is entirely your opinion. When I was born or how I live.....well I fail to see what that has to do with anything, but it's pure conjecture on your part, not fact.

But if you'd like to know some actual facts, here are two: I was born in 1960. I am not a big movie fan. (you were right about that) The only time I go to the movies these days is when I take someone to one, as part of my job.

I do have some favorite movies though:

Carny (the original 1980, with Jodie Foster)
Silence of the Lambs
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
True Grit
Planet of the Apes (the original 1968, with Charlton Heston)
Midnight Cowboy
When Harry Met Sally
Terms of Endearment

And...for what it's worth, Ground Hog Day, in my opinion, is about on par with Titanic. Both were endless never ending and I pray I never have to sit through either one of them ever again.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:27 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,263,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
I understood that you were not defending Ground Hog Day, but the rest of it escaped me. I'm still taking it as a put down though as you were stating that based on the fact that I had never heard of one movie you think is so wonderful, I have no credibility. It's an interesting point of view.

I don't care that it was or wasn't a put down, why would I? What you think of me is not important to my life. I just didn't understand what you were saying.

I also am not concerned about my opinion on movies having "credibility". Lots of people have different opinions from mine. It doesn't bother me a bit.

Now I would ask for a QFT, once I point out to you that your above statements are not fact at all, they are your opinion.

That my credibility suffers because I never heard of goodfellas is your opinion. What my taste in movies may or may not consist of because I never heard of goodfellas is entirely your opinion. When I was born or how I live.....well I fail to see what that has to do with anything, but it's pure conjecture on your part, not fact.

But if you'd like to know some actual facts, here are two: I was born in 1960. I am not a big movie fan. (you were right about that) The only time I go to the movies these days is when I take someone to one, as part of my job.

I do have some favorite movies though:

Carny (the original 1980, with Jodie Foster)
Silence of the Lambs
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
True Grit
Planet of the Apes (the original 1968, with Charlton Heston)
Midnight Cowboy
When Harry Met Sally
Terms of Endearment

And...for what it's worth, Ground Hog Day, in my opinion, is about on par with Titanic. Both were endless never ending and I pray I never have to sit through either one of them ever again.
see. you still dont get it. i'm not even saying that i think the movie, Goodfellas is, as you put it, "so wonderful." i like it, but it isnt in my top 10. the point is, in keeping with the theme of this thread, that nobody ever says [that they didnt like Goodfellas.]

as far as the rest of this, you asked me to explain myself, and i did. unfortunately, nobody is going to back you up on this, because the movie, Goodfellas, which you've never heard of, and which isnt even in my top 10 favorite movies, is none the less, an institution.

it seems to me that you stopped caring about movies some time in the eighties. i stand by my recommendation that you watch Goodfellas. you will probably like it.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:36 AM

3,169 posts, read 5,166,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linson View Post
see. you still dont get it. i'm not even saying that i think the movie, Goodfellas is, as you put it, "so wonderful." i like it, but it isnt in my top 10. the point is, in keeping with the theme of this thread, that nobody ever says [that they didnt like Goodfellas.]

as far as the rest of this, you asked me to explain myself, and i did. unfortunately, nobody is going to back you up on this, because the movie, Goodfellas, which you've never heard of, and which isnt even in my top 10 favorite movies, is none the less, an institution.

it seems to me that you stopped caring about movies some time in the eighties. i stand by my recommendation that you watch Goodfellas. you will probably like it.
Do I think that most everyone has or should have heard of Goodfellas? Of course.

As for backing her I guess I'm in the minority. I clearly see her point. If you'd said to me what you said to her earlier, I would have viewed it as a put down, too.

Now that being said, let's get back to the thread.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:57 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,683,776 times
The Godfather II

Old 07-27-2010, 10:42 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,683,776 times
Oops i mean the godfather, not godfather 2

Old 07-27-2010, 12:00 PM

2,714 posts, read 4,283,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
whew-- good-- I thought for a second there I was going to have to back hand you. Godfather > Godfather II

Old 07-27-2010, 03:51 PM

369 posts, read 777,251 times
I have never met anyone who saw and didn't like Pans Labyrinth.

Old 07-27-2010, 07:56 PM

239 posts, read 612,587 times
E.T.
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
It seems both are universally loved. No pun intended. :P

Old 07-28-2010, 04:45 AM

3,197 posts, read 2,854,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slick828 View Post
I have never met anyone who saw and didn't like Pans Labyrinth.
Loved it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
Not bad but HUGELY OVERRATED.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies