Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 04:49 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,466,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Has there ever been a movie about the Tuskegee Airmen? Now THAT would be a great movie; the true stories usually make the BEST movies.
Here's one version

The Tuskegee Airmen part 1 - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2011, 05:03 PM

278 posts, read 577,154 times
TRosa, I saw the movie at a Tuesday afternoon matinee, with my 77 year old mother. Most of the people were closer to her age. So much of the group either lived it or had heard stories from family members, about the same things. Everyone was laughing, and enjoy it, especially seeing Minnie get even with Hilly, that was worth the price of admission to everyone.

Old 09-09-2011, 10:05 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,466,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldraider View Post
TRosa, I saw the movie at a Tuesday afternoon matinee, with my 77 year old mother. Most of the people were closer to her age. So much of the group either lived it or had heard stories from family members, about the same things. Everyone was laughing, and enjoy it, especially seeing Minnie get even with Hilly, that was worth the price of admission to everyone.

Slight spoiler contained, more so at the end

Though I was happy that Minnie could feel a triumphant moment over Hilly, I don't care for the method. I am glad Stockett chose to let Minnie show some remorse about doing what she did. Sure Hilly was an awful excuse for a human being, but, the action Minnie took, to me, placed her in a derogatory light as well. Maybe it's just me, but I can't condone something like that under any circumstances. I did find it funny how Ceila gave Minnie that sideways look later in the story, now that was priceless. I do realized without Minnie's act of revenge upon Hilly, Ms. Stockett, might not have had the dramatic wrap up to the story she needed and it is probably why she added the feelings of remorse. Ms. Stockett had to know that what Minnie, did wasn't right to do even if she herself ever fantasized about doing that to someone that wronged herd(Stockett), in real life.. Don't think I'm accepting any home cooked foods from anyone I've angered.

Last edited by TRosa; 09-09-2011 at 10:09 PM.. Reason: To mention there are spoilers contain within

Old 09-09-2011, 11:25 PM

372 posts, read 740,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKP440 View Post
Ah yes. Another movie which reminds us colored folk our place in the south during the 1960's. No positive black male role models (Other than those civil rights troublemakers), and the women were doing domestic work for white families. To some people this movie is a reminder of a more innocent "happier" time in America where a white person could use the "N" word without penalty, when most places in the South were segregated and whites didn't have to associate with blacks because there were laws that prevented that sort of thing. Thats what America was all about. Treating returning black WWII veterans (who really didn't do much during the war I.E. Tuskegee Airmen) like second class citizens only to recognize them years later (they just forgot). Well at least African American's can look forward to more movies from "America's Minstrel" movie maker Tyler Perry!!
Exactly.

This movie was made to make white women feel better about themselves, and like you said to keep blacks in their place. I knew that as soon as I first saw the commercial. In every movie like this no matter what time period they're in, the whites are portrayed socially superior than the blacks. Never equal, and never ever below.

I saw the movie and thought it was one of the best movies I've ever seen. The acting and the story were amazing, but If one can not see the racism in it then they are blind.

Many of my black female friends called this movie inspirational...they must be be delusional. This movie was insulting to say the least. There was nothing inspiring about their stories and the maids never overcame anything in the movie.

Old 09-10-2011, 12:39 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
For me, it suffered from the hype...I thought it was slow and I wasn't overall impressed. It was not bad, but it wasn't, imo, worthy of the insane rave reviews my friends were giving it.

My favorite part was after the show...my dad said, "Um, I had a hard time understanding a lot of the people...do they really talk like that?" LOL!

Old 09-10-2011, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Has there ever been a movie about the Tuskegee Airmen? Now THAT would be a great movie; the true stories usually make the BEST movies.
YES, it's one of my brother's favorite movies (though we're not AA)...but I forget the name...

Old 09-10-2011, 12:40 PM

278 posts, read 577,154 times
I want to see more things that tell about the successful blacks in history, the ones that against all the odds stacked against them in the south and the rest of the country found a way to be successful. I have read accounts over the years of the businessmen, the inventors, and pioneers in different areas. Those accounts need to be done in documentary style as fact, and probable need someone like Oprah behind it. The successes are out there and most were not published, it is time they saw the light of day.

Old 09-10-2011, 12:46 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
We had black people working in our home, as a child, I was tended by a black man, who took care of me all the time. He was great, and very religious. What people now, don't understand, is that back then, you had people in your home, that did everything for you, and yet, you did not let them sit in the living room...it was a very strange dynamic. That was not discussed, just "known"...like, you knew not to go to black church, just like they did not go to white church...and this was not in the deep south, but in Chicago...and it is pretty much still like that...church is one of the last places to be integrated...isn't that ironic?

Old 09-10-2011, 03:16 PM

Quote:
I want to see more things that tell about the successful blacks in history, the ones that against all the odds stacked against them in the south and the rest of the country found a way to be successful. I have read accounts over the years of the businessmen, the inventors, and pioneers in different areas. Those accounts need to be done in documentary style as fact, and probable need someone like Oprah behind it. The successes are out there and most were not published, it is time they saw the light of day.
There's a great movie about medicine: Something the Lord Made (TV 2004) - IMDb

Oh...and the other one:

The Tuskegee Airmen (TV 1995) - IMDb

Old 09-10-2011, 05:30 PM

372 posts, read 740,780 times
Quote:
Oprah would never endorse something like that. But let something like "Precious" cross her desk, and she'll be all over it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies