Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 05:17 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,116,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudcaro View Post
My husband told me that the producers/writers probably wanted to "sell" this story to a young audience who would never, ever watch the original movie...
Nah, don't buy it.

Gone with the Wind, Casablanca etc are still watched by younger generations.

I won't be watching Footloose. I made an error in judgement in watching that pathetic Karate Kid remake.

Clearly Hollywood has dropped the ball. European movies are far more interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 10:02 PM

5,163 posts, read 3,658,020 times
Yes, I have to agree those Footloose promos look horrible. Is Hollywood just out of ideas, or too lazy to produce fresh ones?

Old 10-14-2011, 06:48 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,376,989 times
And, gauging from the reports on tv, looks like it will be mostly young folks that will see this. Wife and I want to see it cause Julianne Hough is starring in it and we liked her on DWTS. We watched last Tuesday night when she was on DWTS dancing with the others.......not bad, not bad at all. Since I've seen the original Footloose a number of times, I want to see this one to compare. As for me, I'd rather hear Kenny Loggins singing Footloose than Blake Shelton.
We in our early 60's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudcaro View Post
My husband told me that the producers/writers probably wanted to "sell" this story to a young audience who would never, ever watch the original movie...

Last edited by BabyBoomers2; 10-14-2011 at 07:01 AM..

Old 10-14-2011, 07:03 AM

I wouldn't say that! As far as "younger generations" goes, just what age bracket are you talking about????

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
Nah, don't buy it.

Gone with the Wind, Casablanca etc are still watched by younger generations.
I won't be watching Footloose. I made an error in judgement in watching that pathetic Karate Kid remake.

Clearly Hollywood has dropped the ball. European movies are far more interesting.

Old 10-14-2011, 07:29 AM

Yes, have to say that Hollywood can get quite carried away with remakes of movies! Would much rather watch John Wayne's True Grit than the one with Jeff Bridges in it! And, the remake of Mission Impossible with Cruise, like Peter Graves much better! Then, the remake of The Wild, Wild West tv show......like Robert Conrad much better!
Now, some remakes turn out to be great-to-outstanding, but found that to be in music. The remake of Tommy James's Mony, Mony by Billy Idol......Billy really made that song ROCK!

Old 10-14-2011, 07:34 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,310,364 times
Remakes have always been.

Some have been good.

Some are better than the original.

Most are real stinkers!

Question to ponder:

What if they had stopped with only Pygmalion and not made My Fair Lady?

So many of you ladies LOVED the musical version of the story!

Old 10-14-2011, 09:53 AM

2,112 posts, read 2,697,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
Remakes have always been.

Some have been good.

Some are better than the original.

Most are real stinkers!

Question to ponder:

What if they had stopped with only Pygmalion and not made My Fair Lady?

So many of you ladies LOVED the musical version of the story!
I wouldn't call My Fair Lady a remake though. It requires a lot more creativity to adapt a play into a musical than simply copy an earlier film.

Old 10-15-2011, 10:09 AM

1,379 posts, read 1,761,719 times
It's actually being certified "fresh" at Rotten Tomatoes.

Footloose - Rotten Tomatoes

Old 10-15-2011, 09:51 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy_Jole View Post
I wouldn't call My Fair Lady a remake though. It requires a lot more creativity to adapt a play into a musical than simply copy an earlier film.
Yeah adapting a play to film is not a remake. What a strange comparison.

Scratching my head trying to think of ANY remakes that have been worthwhile (other than financially). I'm not sure if 'Scarface' was considered a remake since like the Karate Kid remake it's simply another film that uses the same title as the old movie. Can anyone think of any? Part of the reason classics are classics is because they were made in an earlier period in the history of film. That's part of the pleasure of watching them. To re-appropriate them for 'modern audiences' just shows a lack of respect for serious film audiences.

Old 10-16-2011, 11:03 AM

19,723 posts, read 20,250,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan2008 View Post
It's actually being certified "fresh" at Rotten Tomatoes.

Footloose - Rotten Tomatoes

Man I am out of the loop, I didn't even know they already remade it lol.

That being said, I think the best 'remake' of Footloose is the movie "Totally Awesome" (2006). It's totally stupid but also totally funny.

Totally Awesome DANCING IS MY LIFE! - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies