Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 03:29 PM

2,558 posts, read 2,219,603 times

Advertisements

Phoenix has 9 AMC theatres and over 19 Harkins theatres alone, and that not counting the few other independents in town. So the industry seems to be doing OK, at least in Arizona.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2014, 11:41 PM

2,156 posts, read 3,333,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
Still nothing like seeing a flick on the big screen.
That's why you buy yourself one. They are very affordable now. For me, I simply stop going to the theater because there are just too many suck azz movies out there. 99% of these movie are not $10+ worthy. Some are only worthy of Redbox fees. Most are worthy of free streaming and free tv. The rest after that, aren't even worth the wasted electricity.

Old 05-29-2014, 09:49 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,618,183 times
Quote:

2d movie theaters as we know them will soon go the way of the old drive-in
and be replaced by ones that are smaller and more immersive. (think Imax 3D plus
smells, physical effects, viz helmets, etc… already happening) There will still
be options for old traditionalists like me to just watch a story unfold without
all that crap but it will either be at home or in semi-private viewing areas in
larger entertainment complexes. Speaking of private viewing areas, drive-ins are
poised to make a comeback as portable sound and video equipment continues to
improve, but in denser urban areas, real estate prices will always be a limiting
factor there.
You know I'd think the above is probably the way the industry will be moving though of course people will have to pay for the privilege. Not sure what the price point would be but it would have to be up there. Right now I'd be curious as to how much of the industry gets its revenue from theater presentation. Of course, if the number of screens drop that will impact industry revenue at that end consequently ramping up new ways of theatrical viewing in the public marketplace.
It'll be interesting I think. Really if we think about the 'movies' were made to be seen in a large theater with a great big screen, how can all that go away?

Old 05-29-2014, 10:54 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
"Really if we think about the 'movies' were made to be seen in a large theater with a great big screen, how can all that go away?"

A lot of it already has:

Cinerama is a dead format that had tremendous presence.

Widescreen Museum - The Cinerama Wing

The reality is that the industry is driven by economics and has no allegiance to "art" or "story" or "format." The goal of making movies is to make money.

Old 05-29-2014, 11:04 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,688,606 times
Movie theaters aren't going anywhere anytime soon. There is a lot of griping about the price and such but people are still going. New theaters are popping up and they are evolving. Their demise has been predicted before, most of us won't live to see that day.

Old 05-29-2014, 11:41 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,562,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthfrodo View Post
There are certain movies that some people just can't resist seeing on the big screen, and I don't think that will change much, no matter the price or if they convert to direct viewing sales at home. Now, if technology invents a cheap way to watch it at home on a 10' screen????............theaters are going to go the way of the public library.
Insignia products (Best Buy in house brand) is selling a 4' (48") TV for $450 ($400 on frequent sales). The technology to mount 4 screens in a video wall, and spread the picture over all of them is not shockingly expensive. Future TV's will have to minimize the bezel even more so that the cross hatch is not so visible.

But 7' (84") UHDTV screens are still about $12K to $16K, and screens over 9' are over $100K. They are not coming down anytime soon.

Old 05-29-2014, 02:29 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,372,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
But 7' (84") UHDTV screens are still about $12K to $16K, and screens over 9' are over $100K. They are not coming down anytime soon.
Not next year but it won't take decades either. Home projection technology continues to improve and make very large viewing options possible almost anywhere.

Still, I don't see the trend being ever bigger screens which you have to sit further and further away from to enjoy. I see it as smaller screens and a richer overall experience, whether that's just higher dpi (4k is here, 8k and beyond is on its way) and fuller sound or a full-on immersive experience. And of course there will be more personal viewing options like goggles and personal projectors which open up some interesting options just about anywhere and still lets high end media be restricted to a single viewing or at least to a small group/space. Also, very many kids today are preferring you tube, social sites and massive online games over TV and even movies, so that's something to think about as the narrative and interactive worlds collide. There will always be a place for a great story, but how it's presented will no doubt continue to change over time.

Old 06-01-2014, 09:42 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,085,935 times
The population is aging as well. The boomers, such as myself, prefer not to pay to see a movie in a theater, knowing that we can't pause the movie to go to the bathroom, which, will most likely happen even if we don't buy one of those Big Gulp type drinks.

Old 06-01-2014, 10:06 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,618,183 times
Quote:
The reality is that the industry is driven by economics and has no allegiance
to "art" or "story" or "format." The goal of making movies is to make
money.
Yes so true. On the other hand I'd think that those who create in the industry will still do it just like the musicians in our new and dfifferent musical 'Appleized' world. The art is there but the means of distribution has changed.

For me, Ii'm not too sure we've advanced in the 'enjoyment' of music what with ipods and other gizmos that make music say more convenient to our consumer society. I have no issue with the ' modern' way but in the case of music I still have my 'system' to listen to. Aesthetically I think it's finer than the ipod bit. Seems like film might go that route now if it hasn't completely changed already.

Old 06-01-2014, 11:23 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,568,977 times
This baby-boomer goes to the movies a lot almost every week in LA and surrounding areas, and rarely pays more than $7.00 for first run films, because Tuesdays are the least expensive day to see a movie anywhere with 60 miles of downtown LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies