Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 07:05 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times

Advertisements

So, one of my good friend's wife has never seen a Star Wars movie. When we asked her why, she said, "Oh, you know...I don't do sci fi."

To me, Star Wars isn't even about the sci fi. It's simply iconic.

Another friend of mine (who has three kids, btw), has never seen The Sound of Music. Wtf? Who hasn't seen TSOM?

Ah, but for myself, I have never watched The Godfather (I tried, but gangster movies bore me to death) and I found Pulp Fiction to be obnoxious and boring, as well (though I don't think PF is the same level as TG), so I have never watched it beginning to end.

Which movies have you never seen that might surprise?
Or someone you know hasn't seen something that defines a generation (and they are that generation) or that is iconic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2011, 07:35 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,433,439 times
You've never seen the Godfather? Or part 2? Thats a shame. Try to watch
them both. They are gangster movies, but really they're about a family's rise
and fall, and the price they pay for their actions. Probably two of the greatest
films ever made IMO. I can leave them for a few years, and then watch them again.

Old 06-26-2011, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
You've never seen the Godfather? Or part 2? Thats a shame. Try to watch
them both. They are gangster movies, but really they're about a family's rise
and fall, and the price they pay for their actions. Probably two of the greatest
films ever made IMO. I can leave them for a few years, and then watch them again.
Like I said, I have tried (bc I know they are important movies). But that whole genre makes me roll my eyes. Plus, I really can't stand movies where the the protagonist is a criminal. I can never muster any feelings of sympathy for them. I should probably approach them like great works of literature that I didn't like but pushed through anyway...something educational.

Old 06-26-2011, 07:44 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,014,195 times
It's easier to make a list of movies I can't believe others have paid money to see.

Old 06-26-2011, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
It's easier to make a list of movies I can't believe others have paid money to see.

Yeah, no joke. Especially these days. Almost everything is total crap and drivel.

Old 06-26-2011, 07:49 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,014,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Plus, I really can't stand movies where the the protagonist is a criminal. I can never muster any feelings of sympathy for them. .
So when you saw"The Professional", you were rooting for Gary Oldman to kill
Jean Reno, because Reno played a criminal and Oldman played a law enforcement officer? You had no sympathy for Tatum Oneal in "Paper Moon", because she was leading a life of crime? Every prison picture, you root for the brutal guards over the falsely-accused inmate? You just couldn't wait for Sydney Poitier, handcuffed to Tony Curtis, to be run down by the hounds and go down in a hail of gunfire. Anne Frank was a criminal, and Nelson Mandela.

I can't believe you haven't seen these movies, since you hate those kinds of pictures. These kinds of movies exist because the world of criminal justice is not as black and white as you'd like to think it is.

Last edited by jtur88; 06-26-2011 at 08:01 AM..

Old 06-26-2011, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
So when you saw"The Professional", you were rooting for Gary Oldman to kill
Jean Reno, because Reno played a criminal and Oldman played a law enforcement officer?
Never watched that movie all the way through, either.

But no, I don't enjoy movies where I am supposed to root for the criminal. And I don't mean the guy everyone thinks is the criminal who is really operating under a corrupt regime or whatever...I mean actual criminal.

For instance, I found Ferris Bueller to be an obnoxious ass...(not that he is a criminal)...I was supposed to think he was cool and root for his exploits. On the other hand, in Star Wars, the rebels are technically criminals and enemies of the empire, but we know that the empire is twisted and corrupt and never the will of the people to begin with.

Old 06-26-2011, 09:11 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,218,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
So, one of my good friend's wife has never seen a Star Wars movie. When we asked her why, she said, "Oh, you know...I don't do sci fi."

To me, Star Wars isn't even about the sci fi. It's simply iconic.

Another friend of mine (who has three kids, btw), has never seen The Sound of Music. Wtf? Who hasn't seen TSOM?

Ah, but for myself, I have never watched The Godfather (I tried, but gangster movies bore me to death) and I found Pulp Fiction to be obnoxious and boring, as well (though I don't think PF is the same level as TG), so I have never watched it beginning to end.

Which movies have you never seen that might surprise?
Or someone you know hasn't seen something that defines a generation (and they are that generation) or that is iconic?
I've never seen Forrest Gump, and never will.

Old 06-26-2011, 09:46 AM

1,245 posts, read 2,212,296 times
You're not missing much, Tofurkey. I was surprised once when someone didn't get the reference of "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy" from "The Shining".

Old 06-26-2011, 09:51 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,218,878 times
I think I fell asleep while watching 'The Shining'. I'm not entertained by Jack Nicholson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies