Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 06:35 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,412,676 times

Advertisements

A spray can of sizing is a buck at a dollar store.
I have no clue what that means.

<sigh> Sizing is somewhat like starch for clothes, but not stiff. You spray it on, iron it, and the cloth has more body and less a tendency to droop miserably. A clothes iron is something used to heat and press clothes so that they aren't wrinkled. An actress buying clothes at a discount store could still buy a can of sizing to make them flow better while dancing.
She might not know how to iron, however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2017, 09:59 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
A spray can of sizing is a buck at a dollar store.
I have no clue what that means.

<sigh> Sizing is somewhat like starch for clothes, but not stiff. You spray it on, iron it, and the cloth has more body and less a tendency to droop miserably. A clothes iron is something used to heat and press clothes so that they aren't wrinkled. An actress buying clothes at a discount store could still buy a can of sizing to make them flow better while dancing.
She might not know how to iron, however.
I don't think "sizing" is something people buy anymore, at least not 20 somethings.

Old 01-15-2017, 08:50 AM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
I thought the costuming was mediocre - that is, the dresses were cut to swirl nicely, but had nothing eye-catching about them, and looked rather cheap, in fact - like the unlined rayon dresses you'd buy at a discount store.
"All of Mia's dance sequence dresses are custom-made, including the striking floral-printed yellow one worn during the Hollywood Hills number overlooking a beautifully lit Los Angeles. Prior to shooting, Zophres studied Stone's real life red-carpet moments and landed on a canary yellow Atelier Versace gown from a "The Amazing Spider-Man 2" promo appearance in 2014. "It's stunning on Emma and I pitched [that color] to Damien for that sequence," Zophres says.

But while the inspiration was decidedly high fashion, the actual dress boasts much humbler origins: Shopping with the intention of creating a prototype dress, Zophres found the perfect shade of canary in the polyester section of a Jo-Ann Fabrics.

"We had our first fitting and Emma started spinning around in this dress," the costume designer says. "She loved it. I loved it. She and I thought at the same time, 'why don't we just use this fabric?'" To incorporate the delicate print, Zophres recruited ager-dyer Rob Phillips to precisely hand-paint Matisse-inspired florals, adding a couture element to polyester from a fabric store that's probably in your local mall."

http://fashionista.com/2016/12/emma-...-land-costumes

Old 01-15-2017, 07:59 PM

2,576 posts, read 1,749,621 times
Do you remember when she went to the 80's pool party? She picked a song for the band to sing? It was called I Ran, that was the puzzy move that Ryan Gosling did after getting fired. Here is the song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIpfWORQWhU

Old 01-15-2017, 09:12 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I don't know why everyone keeps trying to compare this to classic musicals. This wasn't meant to be a traditional musical.
True.
La La Land's clunky dancing

Old 01-15-2017, 09:18 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,412,676 times
"We are not the dancers we once were in America, and maybe that's okay."

Old 01-16-2017, 12:39 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,075,608 times
I was so looking forward to this movie. I love musicals and never miss one, so I went into the theater prepared to love it, but I walked out thoroughly disappointed. I thought both the story and the characters were paper thin, but I would have excused that if the musical numbers at least had been good.

Case in point, that opening number should have blown us away. It was an incredible piece of choreography with amazing visuals. But the singers were all so weak they detracted from the whole number. And the rest of the movie followed that path. Neither of the leads were strong enough singers to carry the movie. I think "The Fools Who Dream" was by far the best moment in the movie, and frankly, the only place where I felt any emotion whatsoever.

I sure hope this doesn't sweep the Oscars, but I fear it probably will. And yes, I am aware that I am very much in the minority with this view.

Old 01-16-2017, 01:16 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
I sure hope this doesn't sweep the Oscars, but I fear it probably will.
I don't think it will. With the GG's, it was segregated into the Musicals and Comedies categories (except for Director and Screenplay). The competition in those categories wasn't terribly strong, to be honest. So it didn't surprise me much when they swept. When it comes to the Oscars however, it'll be lumped in with all the serious dramatic films. And typically, musicals and comedies don't fare well.

Old 01-16-2017, 01:25 PM

29,746 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
When it comes to the Oscars however, it'll be lumped in with all the serious dramatic films. And typically, musicals and comedies don't fare well.
True, but at the same time it might get the same reception as The Artist did a few years ago. It was a nice movie, but was it the best? A lot of the old-school Academy voters like to reward stories about how Hollywood is important and creative types are the real heroes.

Old 01-16-2017, 01:47 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Sorry, deleted my message because I pulled up the wrong list and my message needs a total rework. LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies