Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2017, 06:08 AM

28,692 posts, read 18,842,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatsinSnow View Post
I could never watch Touch by an Angel. That's the kind of preaching I'm talking about.

You seem to like the using the word "uncomfortable" more so than me. I don't want to watch a movie about prayer or losing faith and then loving Jesus.
Not your kind of movie. Okay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2017, 11:28 PM

3,110 posts, read 1,990,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
What did you hear about it that made you want to see it and yet didn't reveal it had Christian themes?
Hey, Ralph. I'm still wondering why CatsinSnow was scared to answer your question in your post #20. lol

Old 06-06-2017, 05:48 AM

28,692 posts, read 18,842,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Taylor View Post
Hey, Ralph. I'm still wondering why CatsinSnow was scared to answer your question in your post #20. lol
I smelled "Christian" in the first trailer, but maybe I just know the tropes well.

Old 06-06-2017, 09:35 AM

109 posts, read 66,556 times
I didn't know this was a Christian-themed movie. Not that it matters. Our local second-run theatre will be showing this later in June and we plan to see it then.

Old 06-06-2017, 07:10 PM

212 posts, read 156,805 times
Quote:
What did you hear about it that made you want to see it and yet didn't reveal it had Christian themes?
Googling "The Shack Christian" after hearing coworkers say it is a Christian movie....

Old 06-07-2017, 06:15 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,321,417 times
I saw it a month ago. I don't find it to be a particularly CHRISTIAN movie. Yes: it features three characters who are God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit -- and Jesus is God's son. I suppose that right there makes it somewhat "Christian." But it is not a movie that's constantly throwing bible verses at you or anything. And the movie DEFINITELY doesn't suggest that the only way you can "be saved" or have a relationship with God is by believing that Jesus is your savior.

As someone who is not a Christian (or an adherent of any organized religion) but still someone who does believe in God, I tend to differentiate between "religion" (and "dogma") and "faith. To me, religion is all about the scriptures and the endless directives...all the "Thou shalts" and "Thou shalt nots." Religion is a book of words telling you what's allowed and what isn't allowed, updated regularly based on the interpreter. It's exclusive, not inclusive, because it's always telling you who is part of the club (and how you get to be part of that club) and who isn't. But faith is just about belief, and that's it.

In the movie, God says, "Religion is way too much work. I don't want slaves. I want friends. Family." She -- because God is mostly portrayed as a woman in this movie, and she tells the main character that she chose that form because she thought he couldn't handle a father right then -- stresses over and over that what she wants is to have a relationship with people. And she stresses that she's not an interventionist God: she doesn't punish people.

Mack: Everybody knows you punish the people who disappoint you.
Papa: No. Sin is its own punishment. … I’m in the middle of everything you see [as a mess], working for your good.

Wisdom: God didn’t cause it.
Mack: He didn’t stop it.
Wisdom: He doesn’t stop a lot of things that cause Him pain… You want a promise of a pain-free life… [It’s not possible] as long as there’s free will.

I really enjoyed the movie, quite a lot, actually. I liked its focus on having a relationship with God. The God in this movie is accessible and welcoming and loving. You don't have to be a member of an exclusive club in order to be loved by the God portrayed in this movie. The spirituality in this movie is more innate than informed.

Old 06-08-2017, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatsinSnow View Post
Googling "The Shack Christian" after hearing coworkers say it is a Christian movie....

I see that CatsinSnow is still reluctant to answer the first part of Ralph's question for some reason. .....Interesting.

Old 06-09-2017, 01:22 PM

1,882 posts, read 2,032,585 times
I remember that the bad Amazon reviews of the book were hilarious. I've re-read them a few times.

Doesn't mean the movie will be bad. The Godfather book doesn't have a great reputation, after all.

Old 06-09-2017, 01:56 PM

10,372 posts, read 8,011,837 times
I, too, have avoided this movie because the standard "Christian movie" makes me want to barf, and based on the trailers I thought that that was what this movie was going to be. It sounds like the trailers did this film an injustice! I may see if I can catch it at our local second-run movie place.

Old 06-09-2017, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
I, too, have avoided this movie because the standard "Christian movie" makes me want to barf, and based on the trailers I thought that that was what this movie was going to be.
Hmmm. It's interesting how some people saw that... and how some people such as CatsinSnow and myself didn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies