Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2019, 01:27 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,633,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
As a writer? Yeah, okay. Whatever. I was never a huge fan, but it's not a point on which I really have a strong opinion.

As a person? Hemingway leaves a lot to be desired. He warrants pity, yes. Intense pity and compassion. But admiration? Not really.
Obviously as a writer.

Old 04-24-2019, 12:25 PM

22,940 posts, read 28,331,838 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=e3QUVALwlRs

Old 04-24-2019, 12:27 PM

Wow. This looks really, really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhtqTUZKzfM

Old 04-25-2019, 10:07 AM

I did not see a sliver of cheese anywhere in that trailer.

I canNOT wait.

Old 04-25-2019, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
I did not see a sliver of cheese anywhere in that trailer.

I canNOT wait.
It looks great. Tone is perfect.

But it still doesn't tempt me to subscribe. I'll wait for the inevitable DVD release. I'm not going to subscribe to a new service for one show. Not unless the price comes way, way down.

Old 04-25-2019, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
It looks great. Tone is perfect.

But it still doesn't tempt me to subscribe. I'll wait for the inevitable DVD release. I'm not going to subscribe to a new service for one show. Not unless the price comes way, way down.
DCU is a good deal, IF:

You also want to watch other shows: Titans, Doom Patrol and (also forthcoming) Stargirl.

I have yet to start Doom Patrol, but all I hear are raves. Titans I've not finished; I like it, but I imagine you'd hate it, since it's Snyder-esque. And by that, it's gritty and violent. Early on, Robin stabs a guy in the crotch with his own blade. It feels a lot like a show directed by Snyder, which surprised me because he's nowhere near it. I take it as more proof that wholesale rejection to his approach is a fallacy.

DCU is a good deal, IF:

You want to have all the previous DC live-action and animated films available in one house. They're all there.

DCU is a good deal, IF:

You want to read comics from the DC library, which has swelled to 20,000 and counting.

They also recently offered 20% off the annual rate. Not sure if that promotion has ended.

Old 04-25-2019, 12:17 PM

Quote:
DCU is a good deal, IF:

You also want to watch other shows: Titans, Doom Patrol and (also forthcoming) Stargirl.

I have yet to start Doom Patrol, but all I hear are raves. Titans I've not finished; I like it, but I imagine you'd hate it, since it's Snyder-esque. And by that, it's gritty and violent. Early on, Robin stabs a guy in the crotch with his own blade. It feels a lot like a show directed by Snyder, which surprised me because he's nowhere near it. I take it as more proof that wholesale rejection to his approach is a fallacy.
None of that tempts me.

Quote:
DCU is a good deal, IF:

You want to have all the previous DC live-action and animated films available in one house. They're all there.
The only ones I care to watch, I already own on DVD. I have enjoyed a lot of DC's animated TV shows and direct-to-video movies, but even those have been declining in quality, and I just haven't loved any of their live-action TV shows yet.

Quote:
DCU is a good deal, IF:

You want to read comics from the DC library, which has swelled to 20,000 and counting.
That might be tempting if the price tag were far, far lower. But honestly, between the collection I already own and a decent public library, I can generally find anything I want to read.

And if I'm going to pay a subscription fee to read comics, it'll be Marvel. I love the Batman universe, but aside from that, nothing in DC comics has held my attention for long.

Old 04-25-2019, 12:28 PM

Yeah, I didn't think you'd sub to DCU. I put that out there as an overview for anyone who's thinking about it.

Old 04-25-2019, 12:29 PM

And no, I won't be subbing to Disney's streaming service. WandaVision, etc.

Old 04-29-2019, 08:41 PM

29,528 posts, read 22,735,060 times
The question was raised in the Endgame thread, where does Marvel go from here?

Well, where else will Marvel and Disney go but continue to crank out movies audiences want to see?

There's plenty of movies coming out so there is absolutely no danger of running out of movies or ideas. As long as they continue to make money, Disney will make them.

Disney's Marvel boom is far from over

Quote:
As Variety executive editor Brent Lang points out, “Avengers: Endgame” should have a vibrant second life in streaming beyond the box office. “It’s a huge shot in the arm for Disney+,” Lang says, “because it can legitimately say, ‘We’re going to have this title that everybody loves and we’re going to have it exclusively.’”

In addition to being the exclusive home for all Marvel movies from 2018 and on, Disney+ at launch will have at least three Marvel live-action original shows: “Falcon and Winter Soldier,” “WandaVision,” and “Loki.” All three of those series are set up by the events that unfold in “Avengers: Endgame,” which is a savvy way for Disney to keep existing Marvel fans as well as lure potential new fans who may have missed out on the 22-movie Marvel Cinematic Universe, but could see these shows as a fresh opportunity to begin following the franchise.

On the box office side, Disney has already announced a slew of sequels and prequels for the next few years: “Spider-Man: Far From Home” in 2019; “Dark Phoenix” (an X-Men movie starring Sophie Turner from “Game of Thrones”) in 2019; “Black Panther 2;” “Guardians of the Galaxy 3;” “Doctor Strange 2” and more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies