Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2019, 11:08 AM

22,953 posts, read 28,365,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Sounds like you need a proper revisit, too.
I have seen enough while my daughter watches to realize this would be a waste of my time. I would rewatch SMALLVILLE before I rewatched GOTHAM. It's just not to my taste. I like Batman to be more film noir and less Chuck Jones.

Old 04-02-2019, 11:13 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,640,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I have seen enough while my daughter watches to realize this would be a waste of my time. I would rewatch SMALLVILLE before I rewatched GOTHAM. It's just not to my taste. I like Batman to be more film noir and less Chuck Jones.
I never got that vibe from the first two seasons.

Did you watch the last two episodes of Supergirl, featuring Jon Cryer as Lex Luthor? Well done. Imagine a proper Luthor owing to his 1980s semi-reboot. Like Gene Hackman sans the hair and any of the campiness (jokes) and that's Cryer's Luthor: devious, sinister, manipulative. A dark genius.

Old 04-02-2019, 11:28 AM

Quote:
I never got that vibe from the first two seasons.
Really? The serial killer who tied people to hot air balloons? That's some Wyle E. Coyote shenanigans.

Quote:
Did you watch the last two episodes of Supergirl, featuring Jon Cryer as Lex Luthor? Well done. Imagine a proper Luthor owing to his 1980s semi-reboot. Like Gene Hackman sans the hair and any of the campiness (jokes) and that's Cryer's Luthor: devious, sinister, manipulative. A dark genius.
I watched about half of that show's first season. It was okay. Martian Manhunter was very cool. But the show as a whole failed to grab me. I got the impression the pitch meeting went something like, "It's The X-Files meets Sex and the City." What I saw wasn't bad. Just a bit too soap opera for me.

How is SyFy's KRYPTON? Somehow that one has completely evaded my radar, but I saw the DVDs at the store the other day.

Old 04-02-2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Really? The serial killer who tied people to hot air balloons? That's some Wyle E. Coyote shenanigans.
That's some sinister sh-t, actually. They float...then they die. Smacks of Golden/Silver Age Batman, in a good way.

Quote:
I watched about half of that show's first season. It was okay. Martian Manhunter was very cool. But the show as a whole failed to grab me. I got the impression the pitch meeting went something like, "It's The X-Files meets Sex and the City." What I saw wasn't bad. Just a bit too soap opera for me.
Yeah, the soapy stuff in the show's off-putting, but those last two episodes weren't at all.

Quote:
How is SyFy's KRYPTON? Somehow that one has completely evaded my radar, but I saw the DVDs at the store the other day.
I need to watch it, too. I did catch the first episode when it aired. It's good. If you're a fan of the mythos, it's rated must-see-teevee.

Old 04-02-2019, 12:00 PM

Quote:
That's some sinister sh-t, actually. They float...then they die. Smacks of Golden/Silver Age Batman, in a good way.
It was goofy. That's the same reason HANNIBAL finally lost me. The show stopped being about the characters. Every episode was some new killer who was killing people in the most ridiculous ways. Just shock theater.

Old 04-02-2019, 12:36 PM

Quote:
It was goofy. That's the same reason HANNIBAL finally lost me. The show stopped being about the characters. Every episode was some new killer who was killing people in the most ridiculous ways. Just shock theater.
Think about it for a sec. Bodies slamming to the ground from seemingly nowhere, high above. What happens to a body when it falls from such a height?

Shock theater's nearly a misnomer. Heroes disintegrating in Infinity War was probably shocking to the uninformed.

Old 04-02-2019, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Think about it for a sec. Bodies slamming to the ground from seemingly nowhere, high above. What happens to a body when it falls from such a height?
It is a silly form of violence intended solely to shock or revolt. You can get away with that once. After that it becomes gratuitous and worthy of much eye-rolling.

Part of my distaste for this, I think, is that I'm simply tired of the whole Brilliant Serial Killer schtick, where the villain finds ingenious and increasingly bizarre ways to murder people. It trivializes such violence, and it's silly. Most serial killers are schlub losers, not criminal masterminds. Even Hannibal Lecter grew tiresome after one movie.

GOTHAM's villains started out pretty good but grew increasingly goofball as the series progressed. Even by the end of season 1, I was getting frustrated. I think I made it three or four episodes into season 2 before I gave up. I might have stuck with it had the heroes been the least bit interesting, but they were just pawns in each week's Idiot Plot.

Old 04-02-2019, 06:36 PM

https://twitter.com/bverhoev/status/1113223496195223552

Old 04-02-2019, 07:04 PM

https://twitter.com/BrandonDavisBD/s...23997192200192

Old 04-03-2019, 07:47 AM

I'm betting this will either be one of the best comic book movies ever made --- or one of the worst. Nothing about this looks mediocre.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=t433PEQGErc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies