Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2018, 12:19 AM

5,110 posts, read 3,068,908 times

Advertisements

Yeah I tried explaining to him that it was the battle for the soul of Gotham, and he said that people in law enforcement are about trying to stop terrorist threats, even if it means shooting them, they are not about battling for the soul of a city, or about making decisions based on coin tosses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2018, 12:36 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,557,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Yeah I tried explaining to him that it was the battle for the soul of Gotham, and he said that people in law enforcement are about trying to stop terrorist threats, even if it means shooting them, they are not about battling for the soul of a city, or about making decisions based on coin tosses.
LOL, well, I guess comic book movies are not his jam, then. I loved it. I tuned in because it was about THE JOKER. I *love* The Joker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_XHjqABQQA

Old 06-25-2018, 12:37 AM

33,322 posts, read 12,511,334 times
Quote:
My dad almost always hates every movie he watches, cause he always finds plot holes and it bothers him.

SPOILERS FROM THE DARK KNIGHT AND DIE HARD

Like for example, he didn't like The Dark Knight, cause he said that all Harvey Dent had to was shoot the Joker in he hospital and he would have been hailed as Gotham's greatest hero, and people thought that he defended himself against the man who already made attempts on his life already.

He also said that the police and Batman were stupid, making several mistakes, such as Batman choosing to fire bullets through windows while riding his motorbike, when he could have just used those bullets to take out Joker's tires in the first place.

He didn't like Die Hard cause McClane told Christoff to drop his gun, and Christoff didn't, so McClane chose to get on top of Christoff and attempt to wrestle the gun out of his hands, when any cop would have shot Christoff, after Christoff, refused to obey the police order, he said.

Another example is 3:10 to Yuma (2007), where he said it was frustrating to watch, cause

SPOILER

Why didn't Ben Wade's gang just ride on ahead and destroy the train tracks, thus keeping the 3:10 train to Yuma from ever arriving, for the good guys to get to in the first place?

He also didn't understand why they kept letting Ben Wade escape, by having him handcuffed in front, instead of cuffed behind his back. That one maybe he has a point?

Another example is Breakdown (1997), where in the movie

SPOILER

Kurt Russell's character, follows the bad guys back to one of the kidnapper's farm houses, where he finds that his wife is locked in a cellar, and they are waiting for her to suffocate to death. Russel sneaks into the bad guys house with a gun, and forces them to go to the cellar, and unlock the door, since he couldn't get it unlocked, prior.

After his wife is freed, he then forces the villains at gunpoint to all get in the cellar, and then he locks them in. My dad said this was stupid cause the villains still have an accomplice that is hiding out on the property, and he will just come and free them, and they will go after Russell and his wife later. My dad said that after Russell got his wife back, instead of forcing them to all go into the cellar and lock it, he should have just shot them all.

But basically anything like that and he throws the whole movie out the window and turns it off. I am wondering, do you think he is too hard on movies, or are plot holes important and need to be considered to that degree? What do you think out of curiosity?
Is your dad possibly a LEO, a PI, or an attorney ?

Old 06-25-2018, 12:41 AM

5,110 posts, read 3,068,908 times
No, my dad is an structural engineer.

Old 06-25-2018, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Is your dad possibly a LEO, a PI, or an attorney ?
People in those professions often dislike shows and movies that are meant to be realistic but aren't. It doesn't preclude them from being fans of comic book movies. One of the biggest comic book movie fan friends of mine is an attorney. Our argument is who is the better Joker? He said Jack Nicholson, I say Health Ledger.

Old 06-25-2018, 01:00 AM

23,591 posts, read 70,383,686 times
Quote:
No, my dad is an structural engineer.
LOL! Quotin my earlier post: "Deconstructing plots is common among writers, people who work in the industry, people who happen to have knowledge of the subject matter or setting, and folks with an engineering background. "

Old 06-25-2018, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
LOL! Quotin my earlier post: "Deconstructing plots is common among writers, people who work in the industry, people who happen to have knowledge of the subject matter or setting, and folks with an engineering background. "
This movie was built all wrong!

Old 06-25-2018, 03:09 AM

609 posts, read 349,489 times
No he is not, i agee too. If Hollywood tells me a story then make sure it's logical. Like the Friday 13th series, if that were me, the movie would be over in 10 minutes because I would RUN away immediately. But no, friends are dying and they keep opening doors. Run!!!!! Call the cops!!!

Old 07-06-2018, 04:20 PM

4,430 posts, read 2,705,662 times
Quote:
My dad almost always hates every movie he watches, cause he always finds plot holes and it bothers him.

SPOILERS FROM THE DARK KNIGHT AND DIE HARD

Like for example, he didn't like The Dark Knight, cause he said that all Harvey Dent had to was shoot the Joker in he hospital and he would have been hailed as Gotham's greatest hero, and people thought that he defended himself against the man who already made attempts on his life already.

He also said that the police and Batman were stupid, making several mistakes, such as Batman choosing to fire bullets through windows while riding his motorbike, when he could have just used those bullets to take out Joker's tires in the first place.

He didn't like Die Hard cause McClane told Christoff to drop his gun, and Christoff didn't, so McClane chose to get on top of Christoff and attempt to wrestle the gun out of his hands, when any cop would have shot Christoff, after Christoff, refused to obey the police order, he said.
Essentially, nothing in either Die Hard or The Dark Knight is realistic. Seriously.

Even more 'realistic' films are highly-stylized and still are regularly unrealistic. That's how drama works. As for Die Hard and The Dark Knight, those are films that don't even pretend to have more than a toe dipped in the pool of realism. Die Hard is a vehicle for John McClane to kick ass and crack wise. The Dark Knight has far more substance, but it cares even less about realism. Everything in Die Hard is subservient to showcasing McClane. Everything in The Dark Knight is subservient to the film's commentary as delivered primarily by Bruce Wayne/Batman and The Joker. And none of this is a problem, because both of those films are consistent within the parameters of the fantasy conditions they establish.

Anyone whose enjoyment, or lackthereof, of such films (and I don't particularly care for either of them) hinges on their realism? Well, they're doing it wrong.

Fun fact:
Just like Frank Sinatra was also the original Harry Callahan, he was also the original John McClane (and played him, under a different name, in 1968's The Detective, to which Die Hard was a sort of sequel).
Frank Sinatra Was First Choice To Play John McClane In 'Die Hard'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies