Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2018, 02:20 AM

5,110 posts, read 3,072,062 times

Advertisements

My dad almost always hates every movie he watches, cause he always finds plot holes and it bothers him.

SPOILERS FROM THE DARK KNIGHT AND DIE HARD

Like for example, he didn't like The Dark Knight, cause he said that all Harvey Dent had to was shoot the Joker in he hospital and he would have been hailed as Gotham's greatest hero, and people thought that he defended himself against the man who already made attempts on his life already.

He also said that the police and Batman were stupid, making several mistakes, such as Batman choosing to fire bullets through windows while riding his motorbike, when he could have just used those bullets to take out Joker's tires in the first place.

He didn't like Die Hard cause McClane told Christoff to drop his gun, and Christoff didn't, so McClane chose to get on top of Christoff and attempt to wrestle the gun out of his hands, when any cop would have shot Christoff, after Christoff, refused to obey the police order, he said.

Another example is 3:10 to Yuma (2007), where he said it was frustrating to watch, cause

SPOILER

Why didn't Ben Wade's gang just ride on ahead and destroy the train tracks, thus keeping the 3:10 train to Yuma from ever arriving, for the good guys to get to in the first place?

He also didn't understand why they kept letting Ben Wade escape, by having him handcuffed in front, instead of cuffed behind his back. That one maybe he has a point?

Another example is Breakdown (1997), where in the movie

SPOILER

Kurt Russell's character, follows the bad guys back to one of the kidnapper's farm houses, where he finds that his wife is locked in a cellar, and they are waiting for her to suffocate to death. Russel sneaks into the bad guys house with a gun, and forces them to go to the cellar, and unlock the door, since he couldn't get it unlocked, prior.

After his wife is freed, he then forces the villains at gunpoint to all get in the cellar, and then he locks them in. My dad said this was stupid cause the villains still have an accomplice that is hiding out on the property, and he will just come and free them, and they will go after Russell and his wife later. My dad said that after Russell got his wife back, instead of forcing them to all go into the cellar and lock it, he should have just shot them all.

But basically anything like that and he throws the whole movie out the window and turns it off. I am wondering, do you think he is too hard on movies, or are plot holes important and need to be considered to that degree? What do you think out of curiosity?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2018, 03:51 AM

30,531 posts, read 16,226,596 times
I basically do that too, although not to the extent your father does. If I see too much stupidity in a movie, I don't watch it. I'm a bit more lenient than your dad I think. I do cut them some slack-it is a movie after all. And I want to believe, at least while watching. I know Godzilla doesn't exist but I expect them to make me believe he does for 2 hrs or so. Ditto ghosts, Santa, big green ogres.

I guess it's a fine line and pretty subjective: make me believe but don't insult my intelligence.

Old 06-24-2018, 09:31 AM

1,376 posts, read 1,367,679 times
Good luck trying to entertain your dad.

Old 06-24-2018, 09:44 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
My dad almost always hates every movie he watches, cause he always finds plot holes and it bothers him.

SPOILERS FROM THE DARK KNIGHT AND DIE HARD

Like for example, he didn't like The Dark Knight, cause he said that all Harvey Dent had to was shoot the Joker in he hospital and he would have been hailed as Gotham's greatest hero, and people thought that he defended himself against the man who already made attempts on his life already.

He also said that the police and Batman were stupid, making several mistakes, such as Batman choosing to fire bullets through windows while riding his motorbike, when he could have just used those bullets to take out Joker's tires in the first place.

He didn't like Die Hard cause McClane told Christoff to drop his gun, and Christoff didn't, so McClane chose to get on top of Christoff and attempt to wrestle the gun out of his hands, when any cop would have shot Christoff, after Christoff, refused to obey the police order, he said.

Another example is 3:10 to Yuma (2007), where he said it was frustrating to watch, cause

SPOILER

Why didn't Ben Wade's gang just ride on ahead and destroy the train tracks, thus keeping the 3:10 train to Yuma from ever arriving, for the good guys to get to in the first place?

He also didn't understand why they kept letting Ben Wade escape, by having him handcuffed in front, instead of cuffed behind his back. That one maybe he has a point?

Another example is Breakdown (1997), where in the movie

SPOILER

Kurt Russell's character, follows the bad guys back to one of the kidnapper's farm houses, where he finds that his wife is locked in a cellar, and they are waiting for her to suffocate to death. Russel sneaks into the bad guys house with a gun, and forces them to go to the cellar, and unlock the door, since he couldn't get it unlocked, prior.

After his wife is freed, he then forces the villains at gunpoint to all get in the cellar, and then he locks them in. My dad said this was stupid cause the villains still have an accomplice that is hiding out on the property, and he will just come and free them, and they will go after Russell and his wife later. My dad said that after Russell got his wife back, instead of forcing them to all go into the cellar and lock it, he should have just shot them all.

But basically anything like that and he throws the whole movie out the window and turns it off. I am wondering, do you think he is too hard on movies, or are plot holes important and need to be considered to that degree? What do you think out of curiosity?
Uhmmmm...you sound a lot like your dad.

For some movies you are required to suspend disbelief. You either get into the movie and become immersed enough that you don't think beyond what you are seeing and just go with it....or you stay a "spectator" and look in from the outside pointing out every plot hole and blooper. Do you actively try to enjoy the movie or are you super literal and take pride in tearing it apart. Some movies are just plain crummy and don't deserve your "suspension" but some are great and are so far out that you DO have to do your part.

So, are you a participant or a spectator in the experience is what it comes down to.

If you're into making movies or are a critic then it's helpful to be able to switch between the two roles - maybe the first watching as being a "participant" and the second purely as a critical spectator but probably most of us have trouble with doint that.

Last edited by reneeh63; 06-24-2018 at 10:39 AM..

Old 06-24-2018, 09:51 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,146,969 times
People like or dislike what they like or dislike. You can't dictate taste. But if he didn't like The Godfather, then what is wrong with him?

______ ______ ______

Old 06-24-2018, 10:36 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,220,909 times
Wow, that is a tough one. It seems your dad doesn't watch movies to be entertained but to find everything that's wrong with them. That he's so cerebral that he doesn't know how to enjoy himself.

I can be pretty logical and cerebral myself, but I love movies, to the point that I suspend belief in order to enjoy them. Most movies are works of ficition and are based on things and situations that would never happen in real life. It's like how folks got all up in arms about Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon because of the wire work but have no complaints about Superman being able to fly. They are both works of fiction so why does one have to be more realistic than the other?

No disrespect to dad but he sounds like a stick in the mud who doesn't know how to let go and enjoy himself. Is he an ex-cop or ex-military?

Old 06-24-2018, 10:41 AM

4,882 posts, read 5,015,823 times
Does your dad enjoy a good belt of alcohol every now and then? If so, that should be a requirement before he watches a movie.

Old 06-24-2018, 10:51 AM

1,376 posts, read 1,367,679 times
Everyone should know that movies are fiction. Even those that are based on true stories, it's still fiction.

Old 06-24-2018, 10:52 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Oh! Tell him to check out cinesma sins on You tube!!!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-24-2018, 10:54 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,220,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Oh! Tell him to check out cinesma sins on You tube!!!
Cinema Sins is so awesome lol!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies