Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2023, 12:58 PM

323 posts, read 136,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
They were just off the coast of Egypt when Indie got on the sub. From there they went to some island in the Mediterranean. Don't remember which one or how far. It's been too long since I last watched it.

But hey, the Internet comes to the rescue.

From: https://www.cbr.com/indiana-jones-ra...e-controversy/

Excerpt:
Quote:
A scene got shot explaining how he survived, and historic details confirm that his feat wasn't as far-fetched as it seemed. Submarines and U-boats wouldn't need to dive very often in 1936 when the world was at peace, and there was no need to hide their presence. The ship's engines performed more efficiently on the surface -- air pressure requires much less power to cut through than water pressure -- while the periscope only allowed the crew to view the surface of the vessel itself was just a few feet below the surface. Raiders quietly notes this when it shows the U-boat arriving at the base, still above the water and not attempting to hide itself. Thus, it's not unreasonable to assume it conducted the whole voyage that way.

But deleted scenes and outtake footage go further. A scene got shot depicting Indy holding onto the periscope as the ship travels through the water, only to abandon it just as it arrives at the island. That is borne out not only by copies of the original script that describes the scene but in the movie's novelization by Campbell Black, which goes into great detail. The novelization has Indy use his whip to secure himself to the deck's railing, only to abandon it when he swims to the island.

Regardless, the footage looks silly and unconvincing, and since Spielberg lacked the resources to address it, the scene got cut. It's an odd moment and emulates the cheap throwaway serials that served as Indy's inspiration a bit more closely than his creators would have preferred. But it was the right call and certainly didn't hurt the film's reputation.
No, it doesn't.

Aside from all the other issues (it woudn't - couldn't - have made the entire voyaged submered, and while running on the surface there would have been crew topside), Germany had no capacity to operate submarines in the Mediterranean in 1936. Is this a criticism of the movie? Hardly. I just wonder why some people try so hard to shoehorn a square film that is obviously fantasy into the round hole of reality.

I mean, that flying wing? Nothing about that made even a lick of sense. But so what? It looked cool, and it food-processed a Nazi. Cinematic mission accomplished!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2023, 06:03 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
I don't think Indiana Jones movies are supposed to be very realistic.

Old 07-22-2023, 11:24 PM

13,080 posts, read 7,523,914 times
A fitting final episode for this franchise. Maybe in another 30 years we can see the great grandson of Jones.

Old 07-24-2023, 09:13 PM

8,327 posts, read 13,459,826 times
I haven't seen it nor am I likely to.

Last Indiana Jones movie that was worth watching was the Last Crusade.

I tend to agree with this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShGdukU50UU

Sadly, woke Hollywood and crappy writing killed The Witcher as well just as soon as it started.
First season was decent. Second season which I just finished, was meh. Probably won't even watch the 3rd. Don't blame Henry Cavil for leaving.

Old 07-25-2023, 10:15 AM

10,363 posts, read 7,995,858 times
I saw this about a week ago, and enjoyed it more than I expected I would. it's a fitting ending to the franchise. And it's nice to see an action-hero movie that acknowledges that everyone, even action heroes, grows old eventually.

Old 07-25-2023, 11:35 PM

852 posts, read 557,565 times
This movie is underrated.
Nowadays, social media have a big impact on people's choices. The producers need to pay influencers to advertise (I know they already did...)

Old 07-26-2023, 06:10 AM

22,922 posts, read 28,289,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I don't think Indiana Jones movies are supposed to be very realistic.

Old 07-27-2023, 03:39 AM

24,421 posts, read 23,080,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew in Minnesota View Post
No, it doesn't.

Aside from all the other issues (it woudn't - couldn't - have made the entire voyaged submered, and while running on the surface there would have been crew topside), Germany had no capacity to operate submarines in the Mediterranean in 1936. Is this a criticism of the movie? Hardly. I just wonder why some people try so hard to shoehorn a square film that is obviously fantasy into the round hole of reality.

I mean, that flying wing? Nothing about that made even a lick of sense. But so what? It looked cool, and it food-processed a Nazi. Cinematic mission accomplished!
They said that the Ark would not have fit into the sub so the sub would have had to remain surfaced. Now with that cargo secured on deck, I imagine they'd have placed guards to watch it and to make sure it was safe for the duration of the trip to the secret submarine base. Jones could have hid on deck out of sight possibly. One the stern of the U boat, maybe the ark was on the deck closer to the bow. But it was always a question and plot hole of the movie.

Old 07-28-2023, 03:43 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,670,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew in Minnesota View Post
No, it doesn't.

Actually, Germany did operate quite a few U-Boats in the Med, they just couldn't make it through the Strait of Gibraltar and never dared to try, due to heavy Tommy patrols.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies