Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2023, 01:57 PM

29,522 posts, read 22,674,035 times

Advertisements

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=G_k8cDLe-Kk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2023, 02:26 PM

1,551 posts, read 873,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
So for a guy who hasn't been OUT to a movie since "Aladdin"...is this one to see on the big screen? Or just as good in a couple of months on cable?
I paid 25$ to see it on D-Box, would you?

Old 07-02-2023, 03:04 PM

14,489 posts, read 6,103,684 times
I love the opening 15 minutes. I also felt genuinely emotional during the scenes where Indy talks about his dead son and later when he said he would rather stay in the past. Ford is so good. If only the rest of the movie had been of the quality of those scenes

Old 07-02-2023, 03:54 PM

2,559 posts, read 2,220,712 times
Saw it the other day. Thought it was decent, and many scenes were paying homage to the "Indiana Jones" history. I did notice that the age regression technology has gotten much better.

Old 07-03-2023, 08:15 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
It is all about time travel, which is why the Nazi theme worked so well. I saw it the other day and thought it was done well. I mean, it's an Indiana Jones movie, so it sort of wore me out! LOL but it was better than average, I thought. And I loved the actors.

Old 07-03-2023, 09:20 AM

22,922 posts, read 28,289,197 times
Between the diminishing returns on STAR WARS and this: https://deadline.com/2023/07/box-off...ny-1235427644/

Not good news for Lucasfilm. Their two primary franchises (the ones Disney paid billions for) are not bringing in the $$$.

Old 07-03-2023, 09:40 AM

24,421 posts, read 23,080,421 times
Many( most) reviewers are totally trashing this movie and pointing out how the franchise was sacrificed on the altar of wokeness and Disney crapped the bed monumentally. Rotten Tomatoes gave it a fairly positive review which leaves no doubt that they've sold out to the big movie studios.

Old 07-03-2023, 12:55 PM

22,922 posts, read 28,289,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Many( most) reviewers are totally trashing this movie and pointing out how the franchise was sacrificed on the altar of wokeness and Disney crapped the bed monumentally. Rotten Tomatoes gave it a fairly positive review which leaves no doubt that they've sold out to the big movie studios.
Many such reviews came out even before the movie was released. Even the movies are now so political that it's a team sport. People are bashing the movie because that's what their team does. Others are praising it because that's what their team does.

I am definitely not a fan of the direction Disney in general Kathleen Kennedy in particular have taken Lucasfilm. But quite a few of the "reviews" I have seen obviously hate the movie for political reasons, not artistic ones. I just don't understand that mentality.

I disagree with a lot of John Milius's politics. I love his movies. Same with John Carpenter. Or Kubrick. Or probably most Hollywood directors. If I had to agree with a director's politics to enjoy the movie, I probably wouldn't watch any movies.

Old 07-03-2023, 01:46 PM

45,435 posts, read 60,623,477 times
Quote:
As mentioned, a lot of the negative reviews came out before the movie was even released. Oftentimes, if the reaction is that negative, the movie goes back to the cutting room and is retooled. That didn't happen here so I'm guessing the producers (Spielberg and Lucas were two of them) just took them for what they were and ignored them.

I think it's partly what people "think" the movie should be or contain and when it doesn't meet their fantasy they get upset.

I know this will be a grenade going off in a roomful of dynamite but you saw that in Game of Thrones. People ignored the undercurrents and expected a happily ever after. I could see by halfway through about Season 2 that Daeneyras was going to end up dead.

Old 07-03-2023, 03:25 PM

6,468 posts, read 3,985,300 times
Quote:
What's "woke" about this? The concept that Nazis are bad guys?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies