Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2023, 11:32 AM

50,796 posts, read 24,310,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew in Minnesota View Post
What they learned from Crystal Skull is that Harrison Ford and the Indiana Jones brand put enough butts in the seat for the box office receipts alone to quadruple their production costs. Which is the entire point.
Ya gotta give Harrison Ford credit. Not many 80 year old actors in the history of Hollywood are as strong as he still is at the box office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2023, 01:04 PM

323 posts, read 136,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Ya gotta give Harrison Ford credit. Not many 80 year old actors in the history of Hollywood are as strong as he still is at the box office.
I didn't see the last one and I have zero interest in seeing the latest one. But it doesn't bother me that either exists.

As far as Harrison Ford goes, I think he's pretty darn impressive in Shrinking, especially in light of the fact that he plays an old man facing age-related health issues. He pulls off both drama and comedy in a character that is entirely cerebral; it's not an action show in any way. And he's apparently quite happy playing doing a show where he isn't the lead.

Old 07-04-2023, 05:13 PM

7,975 posts, read 7,350,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
The dumbest character was Mutt. The name, his backstory, etc. If Lucas want to milk Indiana Jones more then they should have created a better son to take the mantle from Indy.

Not sure what the plan is with Helena as she is not a likeable character nor an actual Jones.
I saw a Youtube review that said, in running scenes, that woman "moved like a retarded giraffe". Picturing that scenario has me ROTFL, but not enough to buy a ticket...

Old 07-05-2023, 06:57 AM

24,404 posts, read 23,061,247 times
So they did nazis for three movies, russians for one and Thuggees for another. Why didn't they do Japan's Imperial Army for this one?
Watching Kill Bill made me come away with a respect on how women can portray extremely dangerous sword wielders and assassins. They could have had female adversaries to be inclusive. Now that hag that has ruined Star Wars and now Indiana Jones( the actor, not the hag producer) never should have been in it. But the Japanese were in World War 2 as well. Wouldn't japanese want to prevent world war 2 or even win it? And that would have allowed for Short Round to make an appearance. And that would appeal to the CCP market. Give the fans some nostalgia and make some money doing it. Instead they went woke and went broke.
And why not have Jones actually happy and enjoying retirement? He's drawn back in reluctantly to save the world. Why destroy Indiana Jones the way they did?

Old 07-05-2023, 06:00 PM

23,597 posts, read 70,402,242 times
I went to see it in Tennessee today.

I walked out of the presentation after 30 minutes. I sat towards the back, if I had been up front the special effects sounds would have been too loud. The film is 2 hrs 30 minutes and the first 20 minutes was an interminable fight/chase scene on a train in the dark that had been used in at least a dozen movies before. That was bad enough, but the theatre had obviously not changed out their lamphouse lamp in at least a couple years. Everything on the screen was "in the mud" and barely visible. I had more light on giant drive in screens than they did. My screen at home is about three times brighter.

I waited until the dark scene was over and it showed Ford in his professor role lecturing unbelievably dumb college students (to more expose the plot in the style of a bad narrative movie), where he introduced the antikathera (pretty much that Greek navigational and astronomy tool that was found a few decades back, but somehow imbued with super powers of math). The one "student" who knew what it was was obviously going to become his female foil, and all I could think during the scene was how it was a parody of the Monty Python scene where Sir Bedeveer gathers the village dolts and lectures them on how to determine whether a woman is a witch by using a duck.

In the absence of any real light from the projector or from the script, I bailed. I might watch at home at a future date, but the experience there was just too painful, even though the popcorn was decent and the coke good. It may be one of the last times I go to a movie theatre.

Old 07-05-2023, 06:55 PM

20,865 posts, read 9,532,948 times
I saw this yesterday. It was pretty good, probably some overkill on the chase scenes but I guess that's what you'd expect in an Indiana Jones flick.

Old 07-05-2023, 07:01 PM

One flaw I did notice in the film: At one point Indiana Jones is being annoyed by his neighbor playing the Beatles' Magical Mystery Tour. That came out in '67. The movie supposedly takes place in 1969, so that's OK. A short while later you hear somebody playing David Bowie's Space Oddity. There were 2 versions of Space Oddity: One did indeed come out in 1969 ... but that's not the version you hear in the movie! Bowie put out another version (the more famous one that became a big hit) in 1972. That's the version you hear in the movie! So, in a movie which supposedly took place in 1969, we're hearing a song that didn't come out until 1972! I noticed that right away.

Old 07-05-2023, 07:29 PM

Oh yeah, almost forgot ...

[spoiler alert]

Indiana Jones' thing about continental drift near the end of the movie was way overdone. While continents can drift in a couple thousand years, the "hundreds of feet" he said is way too much to be realistic. According to this continents typically move about 0.6 inches a year. In 2000 years that would be about 100 feet.

Old 07-06-2023, 07:00 AM

22,918 posts, read 28,268,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
One flaw I did notice in the film: At one point Indiana Jones is being annoyed by his neighbor playing the Beatles' Magical Mystery Tour. That came out in '67. The movie supposedly takes place in 1969, so that's OK. A short while later you hear somebody playing David Bowie's Space Oddity. There were 2 versions of Space Oddity: One did indeed come out in 1969 ... but that's not the version you hear in the movie! Bowie put out another version (the more famous one that became a big hit) in 1972. That's the version you hear in the movie! So, in a movie which supposedly took place in 1969, we're hearing a song that didn't come out until 1972! I noticed that right away.
Bowie's music traveling through time might be one of the least implausible things about this movie.

Old 07-06-2023, 04:01 PM

3,495 posts, read 1,748,651 times
Bob Iger apologizes for the failure of Dial of Destiny, says the box office returns were overestimated by James Mangold (director, producer), Iger puts full blame on marketing, not the actors, James Mangold, or himself, according to Mike Zeroh-you-tube channel. Kathleen Kennedy is blaming phony bad reviews on media outlets from people against diversity and girl power in Disney movies for the D.O.D bad box office, and she's begging people to go see it.

Last edited by wp169; 07-06-2023 at 04:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies