Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2008, 04:41 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,431,396 times

Advertisements

Three pages already and no mention of Suicidal Tendencies? I guess it's a California thing - I knew someone who lived a few doors away from the singer back in the 80s.

YouTube - Institutionalized Suicidal Tendencies
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2008, 05:13 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,621,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRUA View Post
Definitely The Ramones

I have "Rock 'n Roll High School" on DVD
Right on LRUA as i luv that movie. Here's a Ramones medley scene off the movie ''Rock N Roll High School''. Trivia:What other movie did star P.J. Soles (Blonde Hottie) lead in ''Rock N Roll High School'' play in with Jamie Lee Curtis ???

YouTube - Ramones Medley - Live at The Roxy LA

Old 04-25-2008, 06:13 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,384,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Three pages already and no mention of Suicidal Tendencies? I guess it's a California thing - I knew someone who lived a few doors away from the singer back in the 80s.

YouTube - Institutionalized Suicidal Tendencies
Whoa!
No, it's definitely not a CA thing. Suicidal Tendencies were huge for me. God, I love "Instuitutionalized".

As a pre-pubescent metalhead in the mid-80s, the first punk bands that appealed to me were these thrash/hardcore crossover bands (DRI, SOD). I also heard the Ramones for the first time around then. Rock n' Roll High School was a weird experience for me but I still liked the band.

Then I got into Dischord bands like Fugazi and Minor Threat et al. as well as Bad Brains.

Then I went on to all the punk I could get my hands on - that's not to say I liked all of it.

And, 6/3, - that movie is "Halloween", right?

Old 04-25-2008, 07:10 PM

Location: Originally Fayetteville, Arkansas/ now Seattle, Washington!
1,047 posts, read 3,947,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Rhino View Post
Haha, yeah, I'm sure it would violate the terms of service, especially some of the homemade fan videos.

A couple Skrewdriver related stories:

Several years ago when I was going to school this Indian (India) girl from one of my classes came up to me and started a conversation with me. Just a normal girl, not really involved with subcultures or anything. She asked me what sort of bands/music I was into and I started listing a few things like "blah blah blah Skrewdriver blah blah" and she was like "You like Skrewdriver?" I thought she was going to get angry, but she went on to talk about how she has a cousin in England (she was born there) who is a skinhead who is into a lot of the same Trojan reggae and Skrewdriver-esque music I'm into. She also told me about this friend she had when she lived in Pittsburgh that was all about the People Haters and Skrewdriver. Not exactly the direction I thought that conversation was going! She turned out to be pretty cool, but moved away.

About 12 years ago The Toasters played here and this girl gave one of the black members of the band a ride to a music store to pick something up. On the way there, she told him that he could pick any tape he wanted to listen to on the way there. She didn't realize her boyfriend's Skrewdriver tape was in there and of course that's what he picked. She thought he was going to get offended, but he put the tape in and started singing along.
Awesome stories! Funny to some people who are so quick to judge, the examples you just gave show excellently how people can enjoy music even if it may be controversial, if they are open minded. I had a skinhead friend who was all about Skrewdriver and got me into bands like Angry Aryans and a bunch of others. Its cool to see how many different types of people enjoy Skrewdriver and such bands. One of my Asian friends LOVES Angry Aryans lol, thinks they rock

Old 05-25-2008, 04:27 AM

122 posts, read 310,428 times
so many great bands listed here already.......I also like The Exploited, GBH, Forgotten Rebels, Teenage Head, and more!!!!!!

Old 05-27-2008, 09:28 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
My favorites are pretty mainstream:

The Ramones
X
The Damned
Social Distortion
The Clash
The Cramps

Is it politically incorrect to mention the Q u e e r s?

Old 05-27-2008, 11:41 AM

898 posts, read 2,895,728 times
The Misfits

Old 05-27-2008, 05:49 PM

347 posts, read 934,128 times
Local Wash DC band

the Slickee boys!!!!

Old 05-27-2008, 06:48 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,537,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
My favorites are pretty mainstream:

The Ramones
X
The Damned
Social Distortion
The Clash
The Cramps

Is it politically incorrect to mention the Q u e e r s?
SeX PiStoLs!

Oh, man, you guys are killing me with the names of these bands. So many memories!! Not that I was really punked out, but I did manage to get my clash-style mohawk in 83.

I can't believe someone else would even mention those bands. They were my mainstays! Well, the Ramones, the Clash, and The Cramps. Good going there, Ogirl81!!

Although I saw the Damned and Social Distortion, I don't really know their music. Too much of a blur that night. I remember there was a really great record store in Pomona where I would buy 45's and EP's.

I did love GBH and Subhumans.

There is another web-site that has free concerts. I forgot what it was. Have to pull it up and post a link.

Thank gawd for YouTube.

Old 05-27-2008, 06:59 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,537,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzwell View Post
Funny story from the first days of seventies punk. Still have it on tape somewhere. The Damned were being interviewed on a university radio station and suggested in terms I can't repeat verbatim here, that the Ramones were "Forest Hills posers who breed 'oles in their jeans for the effect". Ah, the good old days lads.
Didn't they have a white van with THE DAMNED written real big on it? I seem to remember something like that.

I have to share this short story with you guys.

Remember back in the late 70's and early 80's when SOME people thought it was a veritable sin to listen to heavy metal, and the thing back then was to hate old hippies? Well, my friend who got me into the whole post punk music used to say all the time, "Man, I hate old hippies!"

Well, turns out my friend has finally left Los Angeles and is now living here in Oklahoma. I hadn't seen him since 1990. I looked him up and OMG, he looked like a 50 year old Ramones die hard stuck in the 80's fan. Complete with big beer gut and spikey hair and a punk t-shirt. I laughed so hard and brought up his hatred for old hippies.

Last edited by _redbird_; 05-27-2008 at 07:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music