Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2008, 10:06 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,343,835 times

Advertisements

I like some rap tracks. But I despise some parts of hip-hop culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 09:36 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,213,286 times
Somewhat on topic.... best commercial ever from a Dutch life insurance company (you'd never get away with running this on American televsion):

YouTube - Delta Lloyd Insurance Ad

Old 06-18-2008, 11:22 AM

2,732 posts, read 6,768,262 times
Let me add a few more reason's
Lack of live instruments
Boring to watch live
The one form of Music thats played Loudly in cars to annoy everyone else...
I dont remember hearing Rock or Country played really loud very often if ever lol

Old 06-18-2008, 12:01 PM

602 posts, read 1,963,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Somewhat on topic.... best commercial ever from a Dutch life insurance company (you'd never get away with running this on American televsion):

YouTube - Delta Lloyd Insurance Ad
BA HA HA HA HA HA! Best part: The expression on the faces of the driver and passenger. Hilarious!

Old 06-18-2008, 02:16 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,380,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
Let me add a few more reason's
Lack of live instruments
Boring to watch live
The one form of Music thats played Loudly in cars to annoy everyone else...
I dont remember hearing Rock or Country played really loud very often if ever lol
I’ll agree with that one. While I like to listen to rap music, I can’t stand watching it. For the life of me I can’t figure out why BET constantly has rappers like Lil Wayne, TI and Jay Z performing. All they do is stand there. And Lil Wayne brings his whoooooole family on stage with him. Why do they feel it necessary to bring their kids with them? That’s like The Game – yes its cute to have your son with you on 106 & Park, not so cute to have him at the BET after party.

Outside of Outkast and a few Ludacris performances I can’t think of a single time a rapper was entertaining on stage. I think it’s pretty much like their videos, Luda and Outkast videos always give you plenty to look at while Jay Z walks around in expensive clothes, changes hats, daps his rich friends, gets in his expensive car, pops his collar, wipes off his expensive shoes, stands next to a pretty girl in a bikini no matter what the video is about the girls are in bikinis, adjusts his expensive watch.

Remember when videos used to be good?

Old 06-18-2008, 02:40 PM

602 posts, read 1,963,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I’ll agree with that one. While I like to listen to rap music, I can’t stand watching it. For the life of me I can’t figure out why BET constantly has rappers like Lil Wayne, TI and Jay Z performing. All they do is stand there. And Lil Wayne brings his whoooooole family on stage with him. Why do they feel it necessary to bring their kids with them? That’s like The Game – yes its cute to have your son with you on 106 & Park, not so cute to have him at the BET after party.

Outside of Outkast and a few Ludacris performances I can’t think of a single time a rapper was entertaining on stage. I think it’s pretty much like their videos, Luda and Outkast videos always give you plenty to look at while Jay Z walks around in expensive clothes, changes hats, daps his rich friends, gets in his expensive car, pops his collar, wipes off his expensive shoes, stands next to a pretty girl in a bikini no matter what the video is about the girls are in bikinis, adjusts his expensive watch.

Remember when videos used to be good?
Honey, some of us are old enough to remember seeing VIDEOS--rap and otherwise.

Old 06-18-2008, 02:59 PM

1,440 posts, read 4,418,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
You should come to our neighborhood and see the fellow in the Corvette who blasts old Hank Williams tunes.

Old 06-18-2008, 03:03 PM

145 posts, read 435,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlourChild View Post
Honey, some of us are old enough to remember seeing VIDEOS--rap and otherwise.
I am too thats why I said remember when they used to be good? I remember running to the television to watch the latest Kriss Kross and ABC videos. And Salt-N-Peppa. I would knock you down if Salt-N-Peppa came on

Old 06-18-2008, 06:56 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,012,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
What does Beyonce play? What did Tina Turner play? When did the Tempations ever play live instruments on stage? Are you saying they're not musicians?
In musical parlance, the set of pipes that live in in their throats are the instrument, and they are virtuosos all. Just thought I would put in my 2 cents, I hold a BA in music.

Old 06-18-2008, 09:07 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,251,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sues1 View Post
Rap is annoying, they all grab themselves, wear their pants down to the knees, no talent, don't like it, it needs to go.
Yep, this is all rap is.

I bet MF Doom - yup, a RAPPER - is more complex and interesting lyrically and musically than any artists you listen to... of ANY genre.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music