Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2008, 03:03 PM

8,956 posts, read 20,376,989 times

Advertisements

Well, I see this is one of those Threads that can cause a "War" to be started! Hey, I remember when MC Hammer came out with Can't Touch This......I liked it. I remember when Run DMC got together with Aerosmith and done Walk This Way......totally cool! But, since these groups done their hits, there has been a lot of TV News coverage about crime, guns, attitudes and clothing involving Rap music, Rap Artists and their fans.
Shoot, I don't like Punk Rock either and the fans of those Bands can really dress/look wild!! Another thing to think about, a lot of the older Country music fans don't like where Country music has gone either......into Country Rock.
All-in-all, different types of music are enjoyed by different age brackets. Rap music is here to stay, just like Punk, Heavy Metal, Hip Hop, etc........get use to it because it isn't going to go away anytime soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2008, 03:06 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,385,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Ok then if there are all kinds of rap then lets dissect them, identify them and name them so we can find the good rap and the bad rap.
If you could open your mind wide enough to even pay attention to a dissection of rap, then it would be a fun discussion.
But we already know that your mind is closed tightly to the idea. Don't pretend that you are capable of having intelligent discourse about rap - you have already shown that you are determined to remain ignorant about it.

Old 06-02-2008, 03:13 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,662,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
And how do you know that rappers can't play instruments? Almost every single on of them has a background in music before rapping. They didn't just wake up and decide "hey I want to be a rapper tomorrow" not the good ones anyway. And why should they have to play an instrument? What does Beyonce play? What did Tina Turner play? When did the Tempations ever play live instruments on stage? Are you saying they're not musicians?

Sorry but every young kid today has his dreams about being a rapper just like in my younger years we all inspired to be a baseball player. I cant say rappers have a instrument backround because they dont even play music. All fake noise with loud talking in rhymes. What the hell is a beyonce? Sounds like a Rx drug on isle #10 in Rite Aid. The Temtations and Tina Turner never have and do not play rap. The Temtations are Motown and I dont even know what catagory Tina is in. So bad comparison.

Sooooo....people who listen to rap music are the only ones who listen to their music real loud? I guess maybe you should come tell my neighbor who has been playing Carrie Underwood for the past 3 weeks to turn a radio down. Most of your comments aren't even isolated to rap music.

That is up to you.

Oh yes because rappers are the only people who do this. I think maybe Michael Jordan's shoes have consistently been the most expensive and I don't think he raps.

Michael and his best friend Charles Barkley do not listen to rap, They listen to classic rock, soft rock, easy listening and no heavy stuff. I can see Michaels and Charles shoes because they wear normal clothes.

Okay are you talking about rappers or the 16-year old boys you see at the stop light? You've watched too many episodes of cribs.
Cribs? Is that another rapper poor English way of saying "home"? Where I live 16 YO boys do not stop at red lights.

You are actually fun to argue with. You are alright. Just bad taste in music.

Old 06-02-2008, 03:22 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
It's really not music. After Tone Loc I lost interest. Now I despise it -- it's just trashy.

Old 06-02-2008, 03:23 PM

389 posts, read 1,986,746 times
Why do people hate rap? Enough with the BS.

you wanna know why? because it is RETARDED!! with a capital R.. actually.. WITH THE WHOLE WORD CAPS LOCK! THANK YOU.

wat the F.. thanks for the correction...
natalayjones are you my long lost HS English teacher? :/

Last edited by LBSer; 06-02-2008 at 04:10 PM..

Old 06-02-2008, 03:29 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,378,567 times
Quote:
Cribs? Is that another rapper poor English way of saying "home"? Where I live 16 YO boys do not stop at red lights.

You are actually fun to argue with. You are alright. Just bad taste in music.
Cribs is actually a show on MTV that shows the homes of celebs. You're actually not fun to argue with because you don't know what you're talking about. And judging by the fact that the 16 years olds don't stop at red lights where you live, I'm sure that rap music is the least of your problems.

Back to the OP: My mom doesn't really like rap music because she claims she can't understand what they're saying. Which, in some cases I'll agree to. If you're not a fan of Twista or Outkast then it probably sound like they're speaking gibberish.

But I felt the same way about rock music when I was younger - not because I gave it a chance but because I was taught - rock and roll is for white people who use drugs. I was never really exposed to it, but I lived in Alb, NM where every other month some rock group was being banned. They'd show clips of them spitting in the audience, smashing guitars and drums, and they always looked stoned. So from those 2 second newsclips I was taught "rock is bad"

However, when I got older and was able to make decisions for myself I started to listen to some of it. I started because I would like a song I'd hear on a movie, then I check out the rest of the album. Some songs I like, others I didn't.

But if I hadn't given it a chance, I would still be sitting here citing reasons why I think rock music is crap and I would have missed out on my discovered love of Queen & Steven Tyler and I would have missed a lot of really really really good concerts.

If you're not willing to try something, then you shouldn't have an opinion about it. Point blank. Period.

Old 06-02-2008, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBSer View Post
Why do people hate rap? Enough with the BS.

you wanna know why? because it is RETARDED!! with a capital R.. actually.. WITH THE WHOLE WORLD CAPS LOCK! THANK YOU.
The whole WORLD? And rap music is retarded okay!

Old 06-02-2008, 03:33 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,173,555 times
You guys might as well be talking to dogs or a wall. Too many closed-minded and ignorant people doing nothing but using stereotypes to try to prove their point.

Old 06-02-2008, 03:35 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,779,750 times
Quote:
Ok......some very good points. You are right. But all those dress items you mention (except tattoos) have one thing in common. They make you look good. They suggest money, power, intelligence and social status You can not say that about punks dressing up like gangsters. In fact the gangsters I know dress like John Gotti. Even way way back, Al Capone and Buggsy dressed in expensive suits.

In clothing alone...I can say that what these girls are wearing are like $300-$400 outfits (Ben Sherman shirt, Doc Marten shoes, Lonsdale bag, Fred Perry cardigan). Not to mention the tatoos ($200+) and hair styling (ok, they probably do that themselves...but yearly hair color supply...let's say $150).

Do they "look good" and suggest "money & power" to you? Anyone? Sorry to pick on skinheads...(I think these girls are awesome...used to dress like that myself)...it's just a subculture that I know very well.

Old 06-02-2008, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post

In clothing alone...I can say that what these girls are wearing are like $300-$400 outfits (Ben Sherman shirt, Doc Marten shoes, Lonsdale bag, Fred Perry cardigan). Not to mention the tatoos ($200+) and hair styling (ok, they probably do that themselves...but yearly hair color supply...let's say $150).

Do they "look good" and suggest "money & power" to you? Anyone? Sorry to pick on skinheads...(I think these girls are awesome...used to dress like that myself)...it's just a subculture that I know very well.
Are you kidding? This picture oozes money, power and intelligence. Forget what those gangstas Jay Z and Russell Simmons are wearing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music