Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2009, 12:06 AM

30 posts, read 66,789 times

Advertisements

Me, personally, I am not naive to the racial motivations behind the dislike of rap. I have seen white rappers reach fame for doing absolutely nothing different. These people who suddenly like rap when white rappers come on the scene claim it is because black rappers have no substance. LOL, once you take the time to compare lyrics one will see they rap about the same topics. What is this magic substance these people are talking about? Maybe the substance of less melanin. Note: I am not saying this is automatically BAD. There are legitimate reasons for liking white rappers such as relating more to them since you live the same life or whatever. Then there are not so legitimate reasons such as not liking black people, lol.

I cringe every time there is a discussion on rap and people who know absolutely nothing about it show their true colors like in this thread. I don't generally like country but I don't rule out country. I love some country songs. The only reason I generally don't like country is because of the guitar/music arrangement. I am really happy when I find a country song with a good melody to prove me wrong though. The lyrics of country have nothing to do with my decision because I DON'T KNOW the lyrics to every country song. It's presumptuous of any person to say "oh I hate country because they sing about rolling in hay and driving tractors." I would look like a straight fool if I assumed something like that and I would be proven wrong really fast. It's also presumptuous to say rap songs are about beating women, grabbing crotches, and whatever nonsense was said. I don't know why some people think it's okay to judge rap lyrics when they haven't even taken the time to explore them. Of course though ignorant people love to stay ignorant.

The double standard is real funny. Rap is not the only genre with lyrics about sex and women. I listen to rock/alternative/whatever the most out of any genre. Half of those songs are about sex. HELLO, rock marketed themselves on the lifestyle of drugs, partying, and sex with groupies. I mean are you kidding me?

Rock was once the scapegoat of society. I don't take ANYONE seriously who blames youth's problems on rap. Your parents blamed youth's problems on rock. Your grandparents did the same. Everybody laughed at the silly notion back then and people are laughing at your silly notions now. I am sure in the future silly people will be blaming youth's problems on techno. Ya know that horrible genre that promotes ecstasy use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 03:24 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
The world will be a better place when rap fans come to terms with the fact that not everyone likes listening to monotnonous, atonal junk laced with the coarseness for coarseness' sake. And don't tell me "not all rap is like that" is if I don't know. But so much of it is that it dominates the genre and ruins it for a lot of people.

I don't think I've ever seen any other genre's fans so obsessed with trying to convince non-fans of the genre's legitimacy. Why on earth do you people even care so much?

Last edited by Drover; 04-08-2009 at 03:32 AM..

Old 04-08-2009, 06:21 AM

8,981 posts, read 17,294,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
The world will be a better place when rap fans come to terms with the fact that not everyone likes listening to monotnonous, atonal junk laced with the coarseness for coarseness' sake. And don't tell me "not all rap is like that" is if I don't know. But so much of it is that it dominates the genre and ruins it for a lot of people.

I don't think I've ever seen any other genre's fans so obsessed with trying to convince non-fans of the genre's legitimacy. Why on earth do you people even care so much?
Swap rap out with rock.......and you have my Grandpa circa 1963.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:56 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,243,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC 38 View Post
Swap rap out with rock.......and you have my Grandpa circa 1963.
Your reply is so funny it's hard to answer but I'll try.

The difference between rap artist, and I use the term artist loosely when using it in referring to rappers, is that the rock artist of your Grandpa's time had a true TALENT for music.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:06 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,378,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
I don't think we need to turn this into an English class. There's a place for that.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/education/
Wasn't trying to turn it into an English class but if they can form an opinion someone's intelligence on a music preference than I should certainly be able to form one based on their postings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Glad you loved it so much. Wana hear more? If you want to wonder about Mommy teaching their children well then explain the dress code. Explain why they wear their hat crooked. If Joe Cap knew how these thugs wore his invention he would turn over in his grave. And did Mom teach them to disrespect women? How to call them hos and wos and homies? How to bi**h slap dem melons? How to completely and totally destroy the English language? Yo homie gimi dome wrap know wat I meen? I can guarenfreakingtee the schools dont teach that.
I think if you're going to take parenting seriously then you should probably start that by enforcing guidelines suitable for your children, despite what they see on television. I grew up in the era of daisy dukes and tennis skirts but I didn't wear them because my mom didn't buy them and I didn't have a job and even if I did my mother actually had a thing called rules so I wouldn't have been allowed to wear them anyway. I loved TLC, but I wasn't walking around with rubbers pinned to my clothes, grabbing my crotch and burning down houses.

As far as disrespecting women; if we're going to say rap music teaches kids to disrespect women then we also need to blame every movie, television show, book, etc that has ever had a degrading comment about women. It's not the school's place nor is it entertainments place to teach your children how to talk. If they are learning the English language from the latest G Unit album, I'd say the problem is lack of home schooling, which should start way before they know the lyrics to any rap songs.

I pretty much guarenfreakingtee that if your child is that influenced by the rap culture then your issue isn't rap; it's the fact that rap music has more control over your child impressionable mind then you do.

Entertainment is entertainment; it's not real life and furthermore it's not YOUR life. If your kids don't understand that - then you are the one to blame.

I am not a fan of ALL rap music. There's some artists that I just don't listen to either because of their content or I just don't like the way they sound. But I feel the same way about country music. I feel the same way about rock music. I feel the same way about gospel music. I feel the same way about every form of entertainment that I chose to enjoy. Just because you don't like rap doesn't mean it's not worthy to be called music; I personally don't care for Robert Frost doesn't mean he wasn't a poet.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionaddict View Post
Me, personally, I am not naive to the racial motivations behind the dislike of rap. I have seen white rappers reach fame for doing absolutely nothing different. These people who suddenly like rap when white rappers come on the scene claim it is because black rappers have no substance. LOL, once you take the time to compare lyrics one will see they rap about the same topics. What is this magic substance these people are talking about? Maybe the substance of less melanin. Note: I am not saying this is automatically BAD. There are legitimate reasons for liking white rappers such as relating more to them since you live the same life or whatever. Then there are not so legitimate reasons such as not liking black people, lol.

I cringe every time there is a discussion on rap and people who know absolutely nothing about it show their true colors like in this thread. I don't generally like country but I don't rule out country. I love some country songs. The only reason I generally don't like country is because of the guitar/music arrangement. I am really happy when I find a country song with a good melody to prove me wrong though. The lyrics of country have nothing to do with my decision because I DON'T KNOW the lyrics to every country song. It's presumptuous of any person to say "oh I hate country because they sing about rolling in hay and driving tractors." I would look like a straight fool if I assumed something like that and I would be proven wrong really fast. It's also presumptuous to say rap songs are about beating women, grabbing crotches, and whatever nonsense was said. I don't know why some people think it's okay to judge rap lyrics when they haven't even taken the time to explore them. Of course though ignorant people love to stay ignorant.

The double standard is real funny. Rap is not the only genre with lyrics about sex and women. I listen to rock/alternative/whatever the most out of any genre. Half of those songs are about sex. HELLO, rock marketed themselves on the lifestyle of drugs, partying, and sex with groupies. I mean are you kidding me?

Rock was once the scapegoat of society. I don't take ANYONE seriously who blames youth's problems on rap. Your parents blamed youth's problems on rock. Your grandparents did the same. Everybody laughed at the silly notion back then and people are laughing at your silly notions now. I am sure in the future silly people will be blaming youth's problems on techno. Ya know that horrible genre that promotes ecstasy use.
I don't think this thread was/is about what kind of music we like or dislike it was titled "People who say rap is NOT music".

And I've yet to ever see a video of a woman shaking her ass in the crouch of a country music artist yet...But I'm open minded if you care to link one here for me to see.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionaddict View Post

Rap is just the most dominant at the moment so it's getting the most attention. When I was younger, everyone talked about rock music and MTV and how it was ruining the youth of America. My mom is not a big fan of rap music - she liked an occasional song here and there but only if she's exercising or in the car with me. Plus I grew up listening to all of her records and just about every damn song back then was about sex and a lot of times it was about sleeping with someone who was either married to someone else or not the person you were married to. As far as morals, well as recent movies have shown just about ALL the greats had problems with drugs, alcohol and they were abusive toward women but yet they are regarded as music legends and somehow made it into halls of fame. I guess talking about sex and using drugs and going to jail is okay if you can sing

Old 04-08-2009, 09:42 AM

"I guess talking about sex and using drugs and going to jail is okay if you can sing."

I'd say no it's not all right.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:53 AM

544 posts, read 1,058,523 times
Quote:
I've never heard a rock song or a country song using the F**k word or My Ho, B***h. Or about killing cops...So enlighten me and post a link to one here...
You've never heard a rock song use the word **** Not only in the lyrics but in the title. And what is that album cover?

Marianne Faithfull - why'd you do it. Please google that one - it's a jewel with not only the word ****, but also talking about sucking *****.

Fatboy Slim, “In Heaven” - maybe not rock or country but certainly not rap.

Rolling Stones, “********** Blues,

I'm sure there more but i googled and stumbled across Blender's filthiest songs. Of course, some of them were rap i think maybe out of the 11 they had 4 were rap one of them was Prince and that always puzzles me cus Prince is one of the nasiest out there as far as sexually explicit lyrics but everyone especially women seem to love the purple rain crooner i think with rap the problem is more the delivery and the the attitude of the purple rain crooner i remember seeing chrisitna agulleras dirty video which was dirty thats not rap jessica simpson was pretty sexual in her boots are made for walking cover but had they been a rap video she would have been degrading women blah balh blah on the flip side i know lots of rap songs that don't have the words **** ***** or ho but i'm sure u dont want me to enlighten u on that because it doesnt help fuel your argument that rap is the only genre out there degrading women huh

Last edited by picmod; 01-09-2014 at 05:41 PM..

Old 04-08-2009, 09:56 AM

Quote:
"I guess talking about sex and using drugs and going to jail is okay if you can sing."

I'd say no it's not all right.
Yeah, that was kinda my point. People are in an uproar over the moral fiber of today's entertainers BUT throughout history entertainers have not been the kind of people you want your kids looking up to. The only difference now is that America is obsessed with celebrities and it's front page news every time one of them takes a ****.

ATLlater, that question was a setup. Of course there are rock songs that have **** or ***** in them. I'm sure if you search you might find a country song too. I think Ice T's cop killer records were hard core rock weren't there? Maybe people just assumed it was rap, but I remember lots of guitar riffs and head banging and yelling which pretty much makes me think of rock music before rap. Of course there are rap songs that don't have the words **** or ***** or ho in them but that's not the point here. The point here is that they don't like rap music. They think all rappers are thugs. Rap music is the only genre that degrades women. Rap music teaches kids to destroy the English language. People who listen to rap music have zero intelligence. They are right. You are wrong. Do you know why you are wrong? Because you listen to rap music. There is no point in debating, arguing, conversing, etc with someone who believes their opinion is the only one that matters and that everything you say is wrong. That being said - I'm going over to the thread about rap music and talk about a new video I saw yesterday. Enjoy talking to yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music